User Tag List

First 234

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Your co-worker sounds like just the type of person who would benefit from understanding the MBTI dichotomies, and from understanding that he's not bad, just different. He could learn what his strengths are, and learn to minimize his weaknesses by maximizing his strengths. He could at least learn to stop being his own worst enemy.

If he's just a beginner in the subject, I highly recommend Do What You Are by Barron and Tieger. The profiles are framed in a positive way, and even the "possible blind spots" are listed with gentleness, so that a person doesn't feel condemned. Not only that, but they offer the list of 10 items that provide "career satisfaction" for each individual type.

He could gain some insight into why he's feeling the way he is, and hopefully gain some self-acceptance, as well.
    Here is what personality page describes as INTP strengths:

Nearly all INTPs will recognize the following characteristics in themselves. They should embrace and nourish these strengths:

• They have a natural ability to focus and get "into the zone" when working on a problem. They can absorb their minds completely with an issue, and work it through with amazing speed and accuracy. This ability makes them outstanding trouble-shooters. Since their logical abilities are dependent on their experiences, their abilities will increase with time. INTPs with experience are often seen as the "gurus" of their professions.
    • Their respect for precision in communication lends them the ability to accurately convey their ideas and discoveries in full.
    • They are usually quite intelligent and can grasp difficult concepts.
    • They are often jovial and good-natured, with a good sense of humor.
    • They are not overly demanding in personal relationships, and have simple daily needs. They are often easy and enjoyable to live with.

INTPs who have developed their Extraverted Intuition to the extent that they regularly take in information in an objective fashion, rather than strictly to feed Introverted Thinking, will enjoy these very special gifts:

• They may be exceptionally intelligent, and make ground-breaking discoveries.
    • With a well-developed understanding of their environment and the ability to act very quickly, they may good athletes.
    • They're typically able to communicate their ideas more concisely than the average INTP without sacrificing accuracy.
    • They understand the benefits of close relationships, and understand how to support and enhance these relationships.
    • They see the value of principles that are not strictly logical
    • They have attractive and compelling personalities, and are well-liked and accepted by most people.
    I've noticed that most people, including INTPs themselves, would not attribute these strengths to INTPs.

Getting in the zone, accurately describing their discoveries in full, often intelligent and can grasp difficult concepts, jovial and good natured, not overly demanding, are these traits that people on this board would say are typical of INTPs?

I know the strengths of this individual and they do lie along these lines. But its hard enough to convince this individual of individual strengths, let alone convince the individual of belonging to a group called "INTPs" that generally posses these strengths.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Here is what personality page describes as INTP strengths:

I've noticed that most people, including INTPs themselves, would not attribute these strengths to INTPs.

Getting in the zone, accurately describing their discoveries in full, often intelligent and can grasp difficult concepts, jovial and good natured, not overly demanding, are these traits that people on this board would say are typical of INTPs?

I know the strengths of this individual and they do lie along these lines. But its hard enough to convince this individual of individual strengths, let alone convince the individual of belonging to a group called "INTPs" that generally posses these strengths.
    You can only offer the information.
    Do What You Are is an excellent and encouraging resource.
    The profiles are not available online, but the book is in libraries.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    They are often jovial and good-natured, with a good sense of humor.

REALLY???

Jovial?

I see why you say it doesn't seem accurate. I don't think the INTPs I know would ever use 'often jovial' to describe themselves and I certainly wouldn't.

From my experience, INTPs are really stubborn to a fault.
    More so than ENFPs even. They'll do something that is detrimental until they decide not to. And more accurate, NOT do things that are helpful if they don't want to. I give up on trying to help an INTP unless they want help.

Since your friend actually has a strong desire to change, I think it's very likely to happen. He just needs encouragement and another pair of eyes to give him feedback and keep him on track.

If you don't think he is any more arrogant or lazy than most, it's probable that your friend has all these 'crazy ideas' and desires and standards he holds internal that others can't see. He has frustrated dreams. As a friend, you can help him externalize these dreams and make them concrete and take shape just by talking to him in a safe, nonjudgmental way.

I agree with INTJMom, learning more about actual typing in regards to careers and making life decisions will really come in handy for your friend.