User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INTJ

*laugh* I just got back from the new years party.

Athenian, I take it that the bust is supposedly of Apollo? That's an interesting idea, but I can't really recognize it.

I thought about doing something with spacecraft or astrodynamics earlier. I'm still looking for any good shots that would make good avatars. Usually the shuttle makes for better pictures than Apollo. I could go with something along the lines of NASA's new line of spacecraft.

Crew Exploration Vehicle docking with International Space Station
    http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/cev/hi-resjpgs/3.jpg

I'm also trying to think of other characters from film and television who might make a good avatar. Before anyone responds, no Hugh Laurie as House Gandalf might be good (even though I always liked Aragorn better since he got the crown and the girl while Gandalf just got an old ring and a ride to the elven retirement home).

What about a three dimensional Apollonian Gasket?

Seeing as you're a programmer, you could probably generate a version you like.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

There are also images with the same theme as your orignal avatar without Tom Cruise:

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

In Gensomaden Saiyuki, there is an episode where the monkey refers to the priest as "the sun" to him.

Somehow your mix of Apollo/Dionysius + Japanese culture made me think of that episode & the priest. Conflicted, equal parts light and darkness. His personality *lol*:

Here's more shots:

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
    Gandalf might be good (even though I always liked Aragorn better since he got the crown and the girl while Gandalf just got an old ring and a ride to the elven retirement home).
    Yeah and Aragorn is so gorgeous!

MBTI
    INTJ

My favorites:

Suggested by a friend:

j'adore les chats

MBTI
    ENTP

Any anime/manga that you are completely obsessed with? I know that there are a number of us with Death note avatars, but a few other anime as well. I happen to adore L, so I decided on my avatar that way. If it's a drawing rather than a photo, there is not conflict with actors at least.

Maybe a picture of Howl? He is quite awesome. You mentioned you like the movie.

or the one of him covered in slime?

"'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

MBTI
    INTJ

*laugh* I was thinking about Howl. I sympathize with him a lot, however I differ in that I never cared that much about appearances.

I was also thinking about Ashitaka from Mononoke Hime, but I can't seem to find any really good pictures of him. As much as I love Miyazaki's work, his animation style makes for better film than it does for avatars.

I could also go with Tenchi from Tenchi Muyo, but I dare not imply that I have a flock of women from outerspace fighting over who gets to marry me...(as hilarious as that was).

MBTI
    INTJ

I have it! Ambassador Sarek from Star Trek. Perfect.

This is by far my favorite episode of Star Trek The Next Generation, if not my favorite TV episode ever. The acting is incredible and the paradoxical emotional turmoil which rocks the otherwise rational Vulcan ambassador is an extremely poignant testimonial to the life of this INTJ. I only wish that I had friends like Jean-luc Picard to assist in such situations.

Sarek & - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still, I can't help but wonder if the wonderful ladies on the forum will not be drawn to the avatar featuring a crusty old vulcan. (...?) *sigh*