User Tag List

First 1234 Last

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

I dont need a solution I was just interested in seeing if others had similar contemplative thoughts.

A scenario:

Im out with my parents, my grandmother and my parents step grandchildren at an amusement park. And as I often do I was people watching, in particular to this little group I was with. So after a few hours of this I had this thought in my head. I dont think its particularly profound or anything. But I thought to myself: "The step grandchildren has so much more in common with my parents than I ever had with my grandmother." What I meant can probably been seen as rather superficial as I think that my grandmother and I have a good relationship, I love her and therefore I have a special bond with her, but we are so different in communication, in personality, in choices and so many other things.

It just seems that the older generation that my grandmother is in seems so much more different because of technological advancements and so on. Than compared to how much more closer bonds culturally, communicationswise and so on that my parents generation are to the younger generations.

But still I feel like Im different, not meant that I cant find my place in society, I think that I have found that, but more that I see the world from a far in some way. And eventhough I can find myself sitting at a jazz club, at the opera house and so on, I still feel like I dont have a grounding. I think eventhough I dont have the most outgoing personality and go to many things, my interests are so many and so different that I cant seem to find a focus.

That was basically what I meant with this thread.

I always liked the idea of Gen X. It is just a cool sounding name and I kind of like the concept. I was born in '70, so that makes me Gen X. I would go Cobain over Gaga. I never got around to reading the book. I have thought about it off and on, what does it mean to be in my generation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Interesting. I was born at the tail end of the Boomers, which spanned so long it encompasses a lot of people, true -- but I don't identify as a Boomer. My natural alignment is Gen X. There are enough people in that demographic that they made a name for us -- Generation Jones. Generation Jones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe you're in a similar spot and they will eventually come up with a name for your group. Maybe in time it will be discerned that you are different enough to have your own category.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I didn't realise i was a generation X .. Cool but not really bothered.

To the OP .. And I thought i over-analysed everything. In the grand scheme, is it that important?
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ocean View Post
    Suggestion: do not seek to belong when you find it hard to. Create a new group, a new style, and find others who will want to belong.
    This is great advice, I love it!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

i identify with people that have travelled, open minded and want to see the world.
    doesn't matter how old they are.

i've met some teens with old souls and people
    in their 70s that are still young at heart. i dig them.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

To the OP: your sister is the same generation as you... look up the word in the dico

Though, I know what you mean, I'm just being facetious

Never had anything in common with my own generation besides physical age... when my age was in single figures, I lived a quasi-medieval life in an isolated area with my self-sufficiency nut-bar family. When I was in my early teens, my dad (by then a fanatic Jehovah's Witness) forced even more isolation on me, banning me from associating with anyone but other JW's... whose religion is against personality

When I was an older teenager, I hung out with people in their 20's and 30's mostly, but I also did stuff I'd enjoyed from before like skateboarding. I was into all the scenes really... I was just as happy at a rave as I was in the mosh-pit or hanging out getting stoned with the hippies. Did lots of rock festivals, lots of drugs, lots of protest marches and riots...

Then when my teens were just about over, I had my first kid, which caused me to abruptly stop "all that silly nonsense" (most of it anyway, the physically harmful parts) while I got to grips with a lifestyle about 10 years premature for me. Life soon became about more than CD's and posters and gigs... my younger friends "fell away" but the older ones became more important.

Now I'm in my early 30's and I have teenage kids, a hell of a lot of life experience and financial smarts, the kind of home people don't usually have 'til their 40's or 50's in this country... but I'm still a kid inside... still running round the cornfields of my childhood, making crazy inventions out of straw, dead rats and broken tools. And now my kids are older, I've started uh, doing stuff... with derelict buildings again

In the one respect I've been so many things that I relate to everyone. But it's because I can't feel like any "one thing" that I can't really belong with anyone. I think to be able to really feel you belong somewhere, you need to feel like nowhere else can give you what it does, but I feel like what you get from anything pretty much depends on yourself, what you put into it... so... I can get the same stuff from any different milieu, as long as I translate/transpose myself correctly for it. There seems to be a number of people who can't seem to do this, and they find they "belong" with me... but... to me, they're just there, and I'm happy for them to be.

So, I'm just the local eccentric, strangers guess my age wildly inaccurately (from 15 years younger to 10 years older), and I feel pretty content, all in all.

I guess I've outgrown the yearning for "belonging" at some point... I did use to feel it, but it's been gone for quite a while...

"My people" has come to mean, for me, not that strange collective that aliens (to me) talk about, but all the people I know and those I'm yet to know, who are broad-minded, a little eccentric, perhaps have chequered pasts, accepting of others, and have a strong sense of curiosity, a positive outlook and a desire to better themselves, spiritually.
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I feel that sense of being between two generations, because as much as Gen X influenced me in my early adolescence, I know what you mean about it not really being your generation. It was like the people who were in their late teens and twenties (maybe even early 30's?) when I was in middle school and high school who were the *real* Gen X...and now that I'm older I know what you mean by seeing those people as more boring, they also seem more serious and politically correct, more irritatingly "too liberal," and it just doesn't seem to be quite me even though that's the way I dressed and the music I listened to in my early teens.

By the time I reached my own young adulthoold I too was more into electronic music, and while I went to a few raves, I never became a raver...however, I think I identified more with the whole technology culture in terms of music, fashion, and of course being one of those earlier people to embrace being part of on-line life, back when it wasn't considered quite as common. I remember being powerfully affected by cyberpunk novels like Jeff Noon's Vurt, feeling excited by experimental electronic music in the early 00's, and I still have remnants of the whole rave/anime culture in the way I dress even now, with the cutesy or "childish" vaguely anime influence of having hoodies with cat ears on them, wearing bright colors, etc.

I think ultimately I consider myself more part of the technology generation, or Generation Y (?) and I think what's always hyped me up about the 1980's is that they seem like the turning point or threshold of the whole electronic era. I don't know what adult life would be like without the Internet or without being able to fly all over country at a whim. My perspective is extremely global, and yet somehow self-absorbed at the same time.

There are people my age - or just a year or two older than me - that identify more with Gen X...and they seem old to me. I still feel very young in some ways, even though I also feel my age. It may be because I don't have children, because I haven't settled, because I still have this sense of owning my own life.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    I was never a raver kid with those horrible pants .
    lol ... I had horrible pants...two kinds...the wide legged jeans, but also some tight silver plastic (?) ones that one of my old friends used to call my "trashbag pants"

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

if you are really between 30 and 35 and have marmelade.sunrise answering your thread, you wouldnt know whether to shoot her or to just say its the youth... and stay misunderstood again
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]