User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Why would you want to fit in to a particular generation?

As far as the cultural things go, I was pretty much a nerd in Middle School/Hight School and never got into the fads of the time.

According to wikipedia, I am generation X.
    Generation X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Generation X, commonly abbreviated to Gen X, is the generation born after the baby boom ended,[1][2] ranging from 1961 to 1981
    Also according to wikipedia, I am often considered as part of Generation Y (or the Millennial Generation or the Echo Boomers)
    Generation Y - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    As there are no precise dates for when the Millennial generation starts and ends, commentators have used birth dates ranging somewhere from the mid 1970s[7][8][9][9][10][11][12] to the early 2000s.[13][14][15][6][16][17][18][19][20]
    So my birth date does not put me squarely in Gen X or Gen Y.

I kinda like that.

Kurt Cobain or Lady Gaga? Not sure I identify with either. If I were absolutely forced to choose, I would pick Lady Gaga.

As far as being media tech savvy, I am in a way, but not in others.

I do not text. I don't twitter. I am barely on facebook.

Politically, the language of neoliberalism does pervade my thinking. So that makes me somewhat of a Millennial.

If I had a choice, I would choose to be part of the Millennials, because they seem to have more potential for good in the world. Gen X'ers seem more jaded about what is possible than I like.

Still, in the U.S., most studies would place me in the Gen X cohort.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I don't know how people even identify with "generations".
    Exactly!

Anyone who has ev er tried to stuff me ina box of any capacity has ended up looking like a fool.

I truly believe that if you are a civilized, open minded person, willing to go through life and never stop learning, and never getting too full of yourself, that you will be afforded the chance to know the best people of all ages, and all walks of life. My friends range in age from 18 to 92. I don't try to contain people's relevance by their chronological age, and I certainly don't appreciate it when others try to the same to me.

Gen X, Gen Y (aka "The Millenials"), or Gen Z: Who gives a flying F*#k?
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I don't know how people even identify with "generations".
    I can see that but see it as more of an "abstract" way of finding your place then. How do you think you fit in with people your own age compared to younger or even much older people?

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Why would you want to fit in to a particular generation?

As far as the cultural things go, I was pretty much a nerd in Middle School/Hight School and never got into the fads of the time.

According to wikipedia, I am generation X.
    Generation X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also according to wikipedia, I am often considered as part of Generation Y (or the Millennial Generation or the Echo Boomers)
    Generation Y - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I kinda like that.

Kurt Cobain or Lady Gaga? Not sure I identify with either. If I were absolutely forced to choose, I would pick Lady Gaga.

As far as being media tech savvy, I am in a way, but not in others.

I do not text. I don't twitter. I am barely on facebook.

Politically, the language of neoliberalism does pervade my thinking. So that makes me somewhat of a Millennial.

If I had a choice, I would choose to be part of the Millennials, because they seem to have more potential for good in the world. Gen X'ers seem more jaded about what is possible than I like.

Still, in the U.S., most studies would place me in the Gen X cohort.

I totally agree and I am like you. And it was not so much as fitting a box it was more meant how you see yourself compared to people your own age.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Exactly!

Anyone who has ev er tried to stuff me ina box of any capacity has ended up looking like a fool.

I truly believe that if you are a civilized, open minded person, willing to go through life and never stop learning, and never getting too full of yourself, that you will be afforded the chance to know the best people of all ages, and all walks of life. My friends range in age from 18 to 92. I don't try to contain people's relevance by their chronological age, and I certainly don't appreciate it when others try to the same to me.

Gen X, Gen Y (aka "The Millenials"), or Gen Z: Who gives a flying F*#k?
    Yes I like to think I have friends in all sort of ages, but this was more meant as a reflection of your own being compared to that of others.

It seems I have not been very precise in getting this across in the OP.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    I can see that but see it as more of an "abstract" way of finding your place then. How do you think you fit in with people your own age compared to younger or even much older people?
    This might sound too convenient, but honestly, apart form the fact we as younger crow share a sense of complete freedom (not that much in terms of responsibility) I don't tend see any big correlations. There are "kids" who are 17 who are a lot more like me than my mid-twenties friends, and I tend to identify a lot with my brother who is 34 and some of his friends, in ways I can't with most of the people my age either.

If I were absolutely forced to choose, I would pick Lady Gaga.
    I would too.. I like her "Warhol-ism". heh.. and how she's adamant that people need to be themselves. Live out their "Fame". Shit like that.

I was one of those kids who was sad about Kurt though.. I remember feeling ill about it. I was going through a rough time too, so maybe that was it.

Maybe the Gen-Y peeps have a narcisstic thing going on, but at least, it's life affirming. Kurt destroyed himself. Not the best way to go about things.

Oh good. This thread is a lot less depressing than I thought it was going to be.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I was born smack in the middle of GenX. Really missed out on a lot of the pop culture experience. Went to a very small conservative Baptist high school and spent my weekends at church youth group activities.

Almost forty now with a husband and four kids, ages 11-17. Do we fit in with other people our age? No idea. We don't exactly have a social life.

We do have the somewhat bleak, cynical attitude that comes from being born to very young and confused Baby Boomers, though.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    67sx

Suggestion: do not seek to belong when you find it hard to. Create a new group, a new style, and find others who will want to belong.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Same here, I'm technically supposed to be Gen Y but only just, generally if people are considerably older (early Gen X - Baby Boomer) they see me as Gen Y, otherwise I feel Gen X label is more appropriate and culturally I relate better to Gen Xer fads. It doesn't define me in any way and rarely comes up in conversation except as a source of jokes but I get what you mean.

ETA: It's always Cobain over Gaga! Always!