User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    eNFP

Default HEY YOU! Think of a new color!

So I was reading this INFP thread about color and such, when I had the craziest idea.

Imagine there is a color which you have never seen, and no one has ever seen-But it exists.
    Try to create in your mind a color that does not fall under our descernable spectrum. What does it look like?

Does it make your mind hurt?
    I got dizzy after trying to think about it.

Do you even know what I'm talking about?

Phantonym

No, U! *points finger*

I can imagine the colour, but trying to describe it is a whole another matter because I simply don't have the necessary vocabulary. The terms that could be used fall under the available spectrum of colours. And that is not enough.

No, it doesn't make my mind hurt. On the contrary, it's wonderful to try to imagine things but it's more about the feeling I get than anything specific and detailed. It is somehow both liberating and restricting at the same time. It's something I can feel exists somewhere, but it is also something that cannot be reached at the moment and I am perfectly fine with that.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

that reminds me of listening to a special on NPR about birds abilities to see color... they have 4 different types of cones in they're eyes apparently... long, medium and short, like humans and then ultraviolet (very short) as well... meaning they can see even MORE colors... which made me think of the color octarine in the discworld books that's supposed to be a purplish green or so and then I had to wonder if birds could see THAT

apparently people lacking a lens to their eyes can see ultraviolet like colors as well
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

The color of "E-Flat Major" is most disturbing to ponder on.

As is "Neon Brown" or even worse "7 West."
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

first thought: i have seen all the colors
    second thought: light lime green/brown!!
    third thought: it would be something like olive green..

MBTI
    eNFP

So do birds see different colors because of the ultraviolet light they can see as well? Would they see an object that looked different on a cloudy day because of the lower UV light?

Indeed the color of a C sharp diminished chord would be most delightful

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Bluish-yellow. No, that's not green. In the light spectrum (I should really say additive color, shouldn't I?), if you put the two together, you get grey, because they are opposites.

However, I have heard that if a person has a laser of blue light beamed into one eye, and a laser of yellow light beamed into the other, they see a "bluish-yellow" color. I can't even imagine what it looks like.

I imagine similar confusing effects could be achieved with other opposite colors. Red and cyan, or green and magenta.
    Last edited by Magic Poriferan; 07-01-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: technicality.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    So do birds see different colors because of the ultraviolet light they can see as well? Would they see an object that looked different on a cloudy day because of the lower UV light?
    Unfortunatly, I've never gotten an explanation of WHAT colors look like to birds... which is sad since I've had tetrachromancy envy every since hearing that story!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

This is actually very similar to a conversation I had with someone the other day about the possibility that animals are able to feel emotions that are completely incomprehensible to humans.

ThatGirl

crushgentsmlue

I win!