User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default A question for Canadians

Okay, I've heard about them but I've never actually heard one.

What is a Newfie joke?

Or are Newfies so terribly offended by them that you won't say... or that the joke, that it's there but there are none?

Or are you purposefully keeping Americans out of the loop?

I gotta know!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Newfie jokes are often re-cludged blonde jokes. Newfies are a slang term for people who come from Newfoundland, our eastern most province. They have a reputation for being less than bright, but mostly because of the way they stereotypicaly talk and how laid back they are. Some will prove the stereotypes right, but only the same percentage as you'd expect of other population groups to be less than bright.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Newfie jokes are often re-cludged blonde jokes. Newfies are a slang term for people who come from Newfoundland, our eastern most province. They have a reputation for being less than bright, but mostly because of the way they stereotypicaly talk and how laid back they are. Some will prove the stereotypes right, but only the same percentage as you'd expect of other population groups to be less than bright.
    So there's nothing unique about Newfie jokes?

That's stupid.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

A lot of them are just recycled blonde jokes as runvardh said. They might be more analogous to redneck jokes. Some are more original and play on habits or traits associated with Newfoundlanders (drinking beer, fishing, being laid-back). A number have popped up that involved 'Newfies' outsmarting other Canadians. But the majority do have the 'Newfies are dumb/simple' theme, so they're like blonde/redneck/Polish jokes.

And, Newfies are not at all offended by them. They play on the stereotype themselves. A classmate who'd been to Newfoundland told me their tourist shops are filled with joke-items like a mug with the handle on the inside, etc.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Okay, so Newfie = Canadian Redneck? Not in terms of content but culture around it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Sort of. They don't share all the cultural traits associated with 'rednecks' but it's the closest thing I can think of. They're thought of as the simple, unrefined, lazy, etc.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

blankpages has the better explanation, however, if it comes down to what people from what area I'd rather party with, it would be in a mix of Newfies and Acadians.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Newfoundland arguably has just as distinct of a culture as Quebec does in Canada. It was it's own country (with its own currency) until the 40s and they have had a very separate way of life for centuries. Because Newfoundland was a tough land to live in, it bred people who had a sense of hospitality, a sense of humour, independence, and resilience. Much of Eastern Canada is known for its music and Newfoundland is no exception, particularly with Irish style ballads and button accordians.

I don't agree that Newfies are thought of as lazy. They'll break their backs working and take great pride in how hard they work. For many generations Newfies have had to go all over the world to find enough work and send money back home. All the Newfies I've met have been knowledgeable and handy, sometimes a little pig-headed, and want the job done right.

Newfoundlanders were very cut off from the mainland until the 60s/70s and many of the people of my generation lived more like my parents or grandparents without electricity, hauling water etc. Many Newfies originally came from England or Ireland in the 1700s (some even further back), as well as some areas from France. There are many, many regional dialects (from hamlet to hamlet even) and when the Chieftans came over from Ireland to do a concert, they were amazed how many people spoke with accents recognizable to specific areas of the old country. Some Newfies conjugate differently because of their dialect (he do, they is)and they have a range of words that we consider old-fashioned (saucy, contrary, nightdress etc) or words and expressions that have been coined there. The speech is generally a lot more interesting and colourful than the rest of Canadian English. Some areas even spoke a version of Shakespearian English till rather recently. Generally in the outports, many people will call even strangers or people of the same sex names like "Moy dear", "Me ducky", "Ma love", "Me old cock" etc. In my parents generation, teachers were required to take classes to learn to speak standard English, and in some cases now people who are working with international companies have guidelines about not calling people "Moy dear" or saying, "Yes boy" etc. In the areas of Newfoundland where there are more English background people, they tend to drop their h sounds, but then add them to any words that started with a vowel.

I think the Newfie joke thing is something perpetuated by themselves (lots of tourist stuff from there about it), but it is also based on a stereotype of being uneducated but hardworking. Most Newfoundlanders I know place a high value on education and those who aren't in the oil patches etc usually have gone the route of getting a very good post-secondary education.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Did you know that there is a small piece of France tucked inside the waters between Newfoundland and mainland Canada? My brother told me this the other day.

Saint Pierre and Miquelon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Yep. Actually a lot of the north shore of Newfoundland used to be French. They fished in the summer and went home in the winter. St. Pierre and Miquelon is actually owned by France, but there's a lot of other bits on the western part of Newfoundland where French people settled. They intermarried some with native people and those people were called Jackie Tars. Twillingate is a corrupted version of the French name Touillingait (sp). Green Bay along the north shore is called Baie Verte.