Thread: 2008, Bring it!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I will be 23 next year...I hear that's an unlucky number. And I was also born on March 2, or 3/2, 32, 23 spelled backwards.

Oh man, 2008 is gonna be a bad year.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post

Supposedly, the collard leaves look like folded American dollars, and the blackeyed peas are supposed to represent coins. It's supposed to mean you'll have good luck with money in the coming year.
    What time should we be at your Mom's tomorrow? I black eyed peas!

PS Most of my family are from Georgia (I was born in Atlanta) and good old southern home cookin' is where it's at! I also love the corn bread cooked in an iron skillet. My favorite southern dessert is Red Velvet cake! Mmmmm!

Gosh Ivy, you're making me hungry!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I will be 23 next year...I hear that's an unlucky number. And I was also born on March 2, or 3/2, 32, 23 spelled backwards.

Oh man, 2008 is gonna be a bad year.
    Your far too superstitious for your own good. You've already started off the year badly if your going in with that mindset.

MBTI
    ENTP

I just looked up the recipes and I'm just as mystified as before... I've never heard of cornmeal and don't know where to buy it! I'll have a look in the shops tomorrow, see if I can find any. But I totally want to try that cornbread now!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Ah, I have two sisters living in North Carolina - I've been there, to Cary and Raleigh where they live. My brother-in-law is half Navajo

So like, I still have no idea about that food... lol I suppose I'll have to Google the recipes, it might be fun to have an American themed new year's day meal haha... it's just as exotic to me as French cuisine probably is to you guys! I never heard of collard greens before, I wonder if I can even get them here, maybe there's a suitable alternative that expats use over here?
    Hey, if you're ever in Cary/Raleigh shoot me a PM, I'll take you to coffee! I'm not far from there. It's downstate from the mountainous region where my mom learned to cook "soul food," but they eat it here too (Mama Dips)

I think you could use any leafy green except spinach. Kale? Mustard?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Your far too superstitious for your own good. You've already started off the year badly if your going in with that mindset.
    And yet your signature comes from literature that practically invented superstition...

On the other hand, 2008 is an even-numbered year...even-numbered years tend to be better for me, overall. Of course, I do not know how so many 23s next year will react to that. Also 2008 is 2--8, 28, 82, 8-2=6, 6=2*3 -- 23. Oh shit...I'm gonna get it next year.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by GruffyBear View Post
    checked the mailbox lately?
    Brat! I'm not checking to make sure you're still male!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

I'm at work on New Year's Eve now. Hopefully to get out by lunchtime to join my INTP and friends for lunch. Then home. Too much partying over Christmas, so alcohol free today.

2008. Perhaps to be more centred and still. Friends that help me grow. Avoid toxic relationships. Be someone lovable. Be kinder. Travel is a given for me. Perhaps what I need is to be more grounded, but not now - the heart's too restless.

"Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country. " - Anais Nin

Athenian, what you seek is stability in as far as monetary independence will allow it, from the sounds of it?

• In which case, do your research which fields of work in your area will make you the levels of income you desire. And go for those jobs.
    • But make sure you constantly learn transferable skills too.
    • Learn to sell your skills well too.

We're as much a society about style as substance. And this could probably cause some pain to you later, that sometimes, folks who are less intelligent than you, get further, make more, on the basis of charm and relationships.

But above all, make sure you're able to let it go, otherwise money just becomes your golden handcuffs. The loss of a job should not incapacitate you and mean the end of everything. It is a job. It is important. So do it well. But you're more than that, and a job is just one part of a life. Do not let your self-esteem be contingent upon a job. When you do that, you give control of yourself over to others?

Sometimes failure isn't about falling down, but not getting up?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    Athenian, what you seek is stability in as far as monetary independence will allow it, from the sounds of it?

• In which case, do your research which fields of work in your area will make you the levels of income you desire. And go for those jobs.
    • But make sure you constantly learn transferable skills too.
    • Learn to sell your skills well too.

We're as much a society about style as substance. And this could probably cause some pain to you later, that sometimes, folks who are less intelligent than you, get further, make more, on the basis of charm and relationships.

But above all, make sure you're able to let it go, otherwise money just becomes your golden handcuffs. The loss of a job should not incapacitate you and mean the end of everything. It is a job. It is important. So do it well. But you're more than that, and a job is just one part of a life. Do not let your self-esteem be contingent upon a job. When you do that, you give control of yourself over to others?

Sometimes failure isn't about falling down, but not getting up?
    Yes... that's what I planned to do. Actually, I've been talking to my mother and she said that she didn't make a lot of good choices or think ahead when she was younger and that's why she's having so much trouble, and that I shouldn't be as worried as I am.

Less intelligent than me? So do you mean that you think intelligence is one of my better qualities? That's quite a compliment from an NT to another type, you realize?

It isn't really about my self-esteem as it is about keeping things together, I won't think less of myself so much as I'll be scared for my safety. And if I manage to do well enough to keep my income and living situation stable and have enough money, then I can probably try to focus on something a little higher, like doing things that are important to me. I just see keeping my situation above a certain point as being necessary to move forward. I'm less worried about it since I spoke to my mother who thinks I can do better because of my skills and tendency to worry about the future more.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I forgot to mention new years day's blackeyed peas, collard greens, and cornbread meal! A southern tradition I actually like!
    Up (from you) here, it's pork of some variety, cabbage cooked with a penny in it for financial good luck.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~