User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: 2008, Bring it!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm pretty sure everyone understand why dying would be bad. I'm just wondering why turning 20 makes you go all the way down that mental road to homelessness and death by starvation. It's extremely, extremely unlikely in any Western culture that you would starve to death.
    I think it's because of my mother... she's always been stressing to preserve the situation. You see, she's kept the same job for several years, and we've lived in the same apartment complex for over ten years. She almost failed to find a job the time she lost her previous one even though she had 6 months and was searching every day, so I presume it's nearly impossible to find jobs that pay enough to live on, and that you have to work very hard to keep them, especially since I've haven't had one yet. The worst part is, rents are going up faster than wages, so in a few years she might not be able to afford this place on her salary, and it's not even a nice apartment... and I'm worried she'll have to move into some place that's not fit to live in. Also, she's had to haggle with them each year to prevent them from charging the new market value (which she can't afford) and succeeded because she's lived here so long, but they increase the rent incrementally every year, and not to mention the electricity and gasoline. She sometimes had to use savings, and it wouldn't have taken much to mess things up if she hadn't been lucky. Pretty much, if she loses this job, she'll be making a lot less money than she needs to keep living in these apartments, because it's only her raises that give her enough money to do so, and a new job would pay a lot less.

But somehow, in spite of all this, she pays for telephone, cable, internet, and fast food. It's like she manages to make just enough money to make things easy rather than just livable, and I'm glad that she's been smart enough to do that even though it doesn't quite make sense that it's worked.

The point is, if she's older/smarter than me, and she's holding things together so precariously, how much worse is it going to be for someone who's younger and doesn't know as much?

What's odd is that most people have a mentality of trying to do something with their lives, while I seem to think more in terms of trying to keep my life at a point where it's good enough. I wonder if that's learned behavior?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I remember feeling sad when I turned 13 (knowing I was forever leaving childhood behind). I remember feel a bit less sad at 21 and 30. Mostly all for nostalgic reasons. It's a transition.

But at least when you do make the leap into adulthood, there is much freedom given to you (even along with the responsibility). It's better in many ways, overall, I think... if you do not trap yourself within unreasonable expectations from yourself or others. Lots of freedom.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    My goals in life after I get through college are to go to work and keep money coming in so that I can pay my bills regularly in order to have a home where I can eat and sleep safely. And perhaps enough savings and/or insurance to avoid having everything fall apart if I get sick. I have to do this for the rest of my life, and everything I do has to be towards preserving/protecting such a situation with any sidetracks/errors being at my own risk, because there are so many different possibilities that could upset it. That's what I'm worried about, and I can't afford to fail because the consequences and chaos that would ensue are completely unacceptable.
    I think you're worrying too much about this. Sure, all of those things are part of being an adult (for most of us), but that's no reason to think that you're going to have to spend every second of your waking hours in a neverending life or death struggle for existence. There will be plenty of time to look at and pursue the good things, too. If you ignore the good things, don't pursue them at all, and spend all of your time stressing out, it'll turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy, but there's no reason to let that happen to yourself.

One thing I guarantee... you will make mistakes. Things will go wrong. Things will come up that you must deal with, that you never anticipated (okay, that's three things, but you get the idea). It happens to everyone - but you know what? You'll also find that you can handle more than you think you can - and you'll learn to deal with more and more. There's more to worry about, sure - but you also have more opportunity to pursue the things that you enjoy. Really - it's not that bad (and can be pretty darned good, too).

As for me, I have to go in to work tomorrow, then am going to a new year's party at a friend's that ends early - lots of young kids present, so bedtime sort of takes priority over everything else, which is just fine with me. I've never been much of a partier or watch-the-ball-drop type anyway.

As for the next year, I'd like to continue getting into better shape, lose 5-10 pounds, do more writing, take some evening classes for fun, maybe start a new relationship (a stretch, but hope springs eternal), and improve my situation at work.

Happy New Year everyone

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I forgot to mention new years day's blackeyed peas, collard greens, and cornbread meal! A southern tradition I actually like!
    Tell me more... those things all sound mysterious to me and I can't imagine how they could constitute a meal!

I remember when my sister married an American guy from Tennessee, and totally adopted his eating habits for her whole family. I used to visit her and I'd get hungry and look around in the kitchen and there never seemed to be anything edible around. Just these strange things that I didn't know what to do with any of it. I lost some weight when I lived with her for a while! And yet she could always conjure these meals out of the stuff they bought and even though I didn't know what most of it was, I ate it anyway and it was mostly nice!

So, c'mon, tell me... wtf do you do with blackeyed peas, and what is cornbread meal?? And what on earth are collard greens??

(he says, happily ladling a bowlful of boeuf Bourguignonne - cooking in wine - French tradition he likes! )
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

For new year's my housemates and I are throwing a huge party which we've been getting ready for all day. I got to decorate So we're mostly set up now.

We've got slightly over 60 people who've told us they're coming, and another 30 or so "maybes" (which usually means no). An introvert's paradise, indeed. I'm very excited though. Many are friends/acquaintances of mine, some I haven't seen for ages, and I know a lot of the rest by face anyway.

We are bartending and we have an absolutely ridiculous amount of alcohol on our living room floor right now. Enough that I'm actually halfway nervous about someone breaking in and stealing it. But it's glorious. Just glorious.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Ugh, that last message just worried me. I know everyone here is older then me and whatever, but I also know growing up doesn't exempt most from acting childish. Have fun this New Year, but try to be responsible also, or as responsible as you can be when your drunk off your ass.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm 24, so old enough that I should already be established in life!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    ...I'm going to be 20 years old next year...
    30 is the new 20, you have about 20 more years of youngness left. I don't think the "it's all over" part comes until you squeeze out a kid or get a really high pressure job. If you don't have either of those, no worries.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Tell me more... those things all sound mysterious to me and I can't imagine how they could constitute a meal!

I remember when my sister married an American guy from Tennessee, and totally adopted his eating habits for her whole family. I used to visit her and I'd get hungry and look around in the kitchen and there never seemed to be anything edible around. Just these strange things that I didn't know what to do with any of it. I lost some weight when I lived with her for a while! And yet she could always conjure these meals out of the stuff they bought and even though I didn't know what most of it was, I ate it anyway and it was mostly nice!

So, c'mon, tell me... wtf do you do with blackeyed peas, and what is cornbread meal?? And what on earth are collard greens??

(he says, happily ladling a bowlful of boeuf Bourguignonne - cooking in wine - French tradition he likes! )
    Well, I'm from North Carolina, which is just east of Tennessee, and my mother was brough up in the foothills of the Appalachians in the Western part of the state. So I'm willing to bet we share a lot of the same food culture with your brother in law, at least the traditional stuff. A lot of beans (all kinds- pintos, white beans, blackeyeds, limas, etc) typically paired with cornbread but also sometimes biscuits. The traditional New Year's meal is:

--blackeyed peas, stewed with hog jowls (I don't know that I have ever actually eaten a hog jowl, though I'm sure I've eaten beans that were cooked with them).

--collard greens, also stewed or steamed, but well-done. No crispy greens. (Collards are actually more nutritious when cooked, because of their tough cell structure. Yes, I just looked that up.)

--corn bread, cooked in a cast-iron skillet in the oven. OMG DELICIOUS.

--milk to drink.

Supposedly, the collard leaves look like folded American dollars, and the blackeyed peas are supposed to represent coins. It's supposed to mean you'll have good luck with money in the coming year.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTP

Ah, I have two sisters living in North Carolina - I've been there, to Cary and Raleigh where they live. My brother-in-law is half Navajo

So like, I still have no idea about that food... lol I suppose I'll have to Google the recipes, it might be fun to have an American themed new year's day meal haha... it's just as exotic to me as French cuisine probably is to you guys! I never heard of collard greens before, I wonder if I can even get them here, maybe there's a suitable alternative that expats use over here?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen