Thread: 2008, Bring it!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    *sigh* I'll rephrase that. Getting older is better than the only likely alternative on this plane of existence.

... I'll think of way to spin this, just wait.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    ... I'll think of way to spin this, just wait.
    Bring it! I have four kids and a man who entertain themselves by confounding my words. I'm no lightweight.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Bring it! I have four kids and a man who entertain themselves by confounding my words. I'm no lightweight.
    checked the mailbox lately?
    Last edited by GruffyBear; 12-30-2007 at 05:59 PM. Reason: leave no smiley behind!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

That can't be good.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Let me tell you, if you approach adult life with that attitude, thinking that that's how you have to think, you will be ruined. Probably have a nervous breakdown before you're 30.

Since you seem to view life as a war and your role as some kind of soldier, how about if you look at it this way: even in the army, soldiers are allowed shore leave and recreation time. Morale is of huge importance in the army and officers make great efforts to ensure that the morale of the troops remains high. Why? Because they know that depressed, exhausted and tired soldiers don't make good soldiers. And unless it's REALLY serious, even soldiers don't get fired for making mistakes.

So, no need to view adulthood as some kind of relentless march through ice and cold with whips at your back and chains on your feet. You're allowed to make mistakes - and indeed, are expected to, as nobody's perfect and nobody expects anyone else to be perfect, and through making mistakes you learn things you wouldn't otherwise. And having fun is a good use of time.

And you know, some of the best generals have won battles with strategies they thought up on the spot. You don't need to have contingencies and plans for everything you know. And moreover - and really listen to me when I say this because I can say it with great authority! - it takes a lot - an awful lot - to really, truly ruin a person. And even then, there is always a way out.

Where there is a will, there is a way. I don't say that lightly.
    My goals in life after I get through college are to go to work and keep money coming in so that I can pay my bills regularly in order to have a home where I can eat and sleep safely. And perhaps enough savings and/or insurance to avoid having everything fall apart if I get sick. I have to do this for the rest of my life, and everything I do has to be towards preserving/protecting such a situation with any sidetracks/errors being at my own risk, because there are so many different possibilities that could upset it. That's what I'm worried about, and I can't afford to fail because the consequences and chaos that would ensue are completely unacceptable.

I don't see how that makes me a "soldier," it just means I want to avoid being trapped in a cyclical situation where I can't get a job, run out of money and thus have no place to live, and thus have nothing to eat, no place to sleep, and thus die. Do you really not understand why that's bad? Once all that happens, it's all over.

How does everyone else manage to avoid this scenario, I'm sure they must? Are they incredibly lucky and resourceful? Are they very good at avoiding mistakes? They must do something.

MBTI
    ENTP

Of course I understand athenian, but I just really think you've got a distorted opinion or view of how little room for manoeuvre you have in that plan. I've kept a roof over my head since I left home at 15, I have done a great deal of travelling and always had money coming in to fund it and much more besides. But I never sweated it the way you seem to. In fact, the errors and 'sidetracks' have only improved my life and provided great opportunities. Yeah, there was risk, but the risk wasn't that great, and even where it hasn't paid off, it's always salvageable. It's never been to the point of being totally ruined.

I dunno... maybe that's all easy for an Ne dominant type to say... but it's no less true for that.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    My goals in life after I get through college are to go to work and keep money coming in so that I can pay my bills regularly in order to have a home where I can eat and sleep safely. And perhaps enough savings and/or insurance to avoid having everything fall apart if I get sick. I have to do this for the rest of my life, and everything I do has to be towards preserving/protecting such a situation with any sidetracks/errors being at my own risk, because there are so many different possibilities that could upset it. That's what I'm worried about, and I can't afford to fail because the consequences and chaos that would ensue are completely unacceptable.

I don't see how that makes me a "soldier," it just means I want to avoid being trapped in a cyclical situation where I can't get a job, run out of money and thus have no place to live, and thus have nothing to eat, no place to sleep, and thus die. Do you really not understand why that's bad? Once all that happens, it's all over.
    I'm pretty sure everyone understand why dying would be bad. I'm just wondering why turning 20 makes you go all the way down that mental road to homelessness and death by starvation. It's extremely, extremely unlikely in any Western culture that you would starve to death.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Anxiety/Depression.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I have to do this for the rest of my life, and everything I do has to be towards preserving/protecting such a situation with any sidetracks/errors being at my own risk, because there are so many different possibilities that could upset it.
    Yes, there is about a million things that could go wrong, but that doesn't mean the chances of things going right are a million to one.

Humans have deep-pitted, primal fear of not having enough and not being enough, but these induce brain activity in the lower reptilian brain. This is not the same part of the brain that controls the things that make humans so successful-language, creativity, intellectuality, etc. You have to address these fears as irrational or they will haunt you forever, no matter how secure you think you can be. Why do you think people with millions of dollars still feel like they need more?

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Athenian,
    Time is a delicate mistress.