User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: 2008, Bring it!

MBTI
    yupp

I'm spending new years eve in new orleans with my brother, then getting on a train the next day. I have no expectations for 2008, that way when it sucks it won't suck as bad and when it's awsome I won't want to be any better because no expectations=no dissapointments.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Athenian. So far, the folks who have posted in this thread are a couple of thirtysomething women, and you. (Edit: and whatever, also a sweet young thing.) You ARE NOT OLD. Jen and I (edit: and whatever) are not old, either. We're all babies. But especially you! Your life is just beginning!
    I don't mean "old" so much as I mean not really young anymore. I mean, I'll be expected to take responsibility for everything happens to me more than ever (I no longer have the excuse of being a teenager), and to have backup plans for every possible contingency, and will be totally ruined if I don't do everything just right. I mean that I can't afford to spend time doing anything frivolous, and will have to put every moment of my time to good use, except I can't concentrate very well, and I'll struggle all the time...

I'll probably be fine as long as my parents are there and willing to worry about me, but now that's the only thing standing between myself, my preparations/contingencies, and being completely ruined/helpless with no way to get back to safety.

I've been freaking out every year since I turned 18, honestly, it's just particularly bad for me this year because of that digit in the tens place changing.

I've always been paranoid, but now I have just that much more to be paranoid about.

MBTI
    istp

Visiting my sister and brother-in-law for their party.

2008 - finish my CCIE, reduce my monthly bills to as little a humanly possible, save for traveling

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Athenian- I'm turning 25 this coming year and I still consider myself a kid! even though I have to hunt for a job and act like an adult!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Getting older rocks, Athenian! At the very least it is better than the alternative.
    Getting younger?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I don't mean "old" so much as I mean not really young anymore. I mean, I'll be expected to take responsibility for everything happens to me more than ever (I no longer have the excuse of being a teenager), and to have backup plans for every possible contingency, and will be totally ruined if I don't do everything just right. I mean that I can't afford to spend time doing anything frivolous, and will have to put every moment of my time to good use, except I can't concentrate very well, and I'll struggle all the time...

I'll probably be fine as long as my parents are there and willing to worry about me, but now that's the only thing standing between myself, my preparations/contingencies, and being completely ruined/helpless with no way to get back to safety.

I've been freaking out every year since I turned 18, honestly, it's just particularly bad for me this year because of that digit in the tens place changing.

I've always been paranoid, but now I have just that much more to be paranoid about.
    You'll be fine! I had a friend who called this kind of thing "prewadding," i.e. getting your panties in a wad before you even have anything concrete to worry about. I have to remind myself of this a lot as I am the type to borrow trouble. Somehow it seems like worrying is a form of preparation, so if I'm not worrying, I won't be prepared.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I want to pass that damned heavy vehicle driving test (third time of taking test will be in 3 weeks!).
    Took me three tries to get it. I never had trouble with written tests, but having someone sitting in the passenger seat grading me was hard. Also, I'm really more of a bookish sort, into taking my time and checking all the details, so adapting to juggling several tasks at once was a bit hard for me.

Sounds like you've had a lot going on. Hopefully you're getting some opportunity to practice and "get back in the game." If I can do it, I'm sure you can. Best of luck.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I think I'm the oldest, but who cares! If I don't think about it, it's not real! haha

Athenian I understand what you mean. You're young and don't really know where you're going in life, but you'll figure it out eventually. It's the getting there that's the most fun. I like to think of life as an adventure. I also remind myself that there is a solution to every problem which helps. You can always work things out.

Ivy I've known that feeling and I am relieved for you. Breathing easier is nice as is sleeping at night.

whatever, sounds like a plan! You'll do great in anything you strive for. I also love your doggie! He is one of my favorite avy's!

Sub you are a kind and intelligent person and I believe in you. I know you'll come to the right decisions concerning yours and your family's best interests. I also know that you can do anything that you set your mind to do, although I do hear that the driving tests in the UK is brutal! Good luck mate!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Getting younger?
    *sigh* I'll rephrase that. Getting older is better than the only likely alternative on this plane of existence.

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post

Let me tell you, if you approach adult life with that attitude, thinking that that's how you have to think, you will be ruined. Probably have a nervous breakdown before you're 30.

Since you seem to view life as a war and your role as some kind of soldier, how about if you look at it this way: even in the army, soldiers are allowed shore leave and recreation time. Morale is of huge importance in the army and officers make great efforts to ensure that the morale of the troops remains high. Why? Because they know that depressed, exhausted and tired soldiers don't make good soldiers. And unless it's REALLY serious, even soldiers don't get fired for making mistakes.

So, no need to view adulthood as some kind of relentless march through ice and cold with whips at your back and chains on your feet. You're allowed to make mistakes - and indeed, are expected to, as nobody's perfect and nobody expects anyone else to be perfect, and through making mistakes you learn things you wouldn't otherwise. And having fun is a good use of time.

And you know, some of the best generals have won battles with strategies they thought up on the spot. You don't need to have contingencies and plans for everything you know. And moreover - and really listen to me when I say this because I can say it with great authority! - it takes a lot - an awful lot - to really, truly ruin a person. And even then, there is always a way out.

Where there is a will, there is a way. I don't say that lightly.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen