User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Hand Analysis

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

My skepticism has nothing to do with that. There is absolutely NO evidence that palmistry is anything other than an educated guess at best and random luck at worst. I'm plenty open to the idea to these sorts of things but time and time again they end up just being bunk. Until you can actually falsify a palm reading it's just pseudoscience bunk.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

There's also no evidence that it isn't. I reserve judgement on this point until I get an answer, one way or the other.

Besides, pseudoscience can be fun.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
    As someone with a scientific mindset, I have to be open to new ideas; otherwise, I'll never create new theories.
    I have no problems at all with taking a scientific approach towards it, i do it on occasions. I agree that we don't know enough about ourselves to make a conclusion about palmistry, it still can hold some weight though if it matches up with the person and their life at this present moment in time ..Anyway something i have just found ..

Scientists refer to the lines on hands as creases however ..

The main argument against them being crease lines is that the lines on the palm are all present by the time the foetus is 3 months old. The lifeline forms at 7 - 8 weeks gestation, heart & head lines at 9 - 10 weeks, but the muscles needed for movement of the hand don't form until 11 weeks, when there are the first reflex movements. Voluntary hand actions don't start till 23 weeks. The nerve endings, which stimulate the muscles, are forming around the same time as the lines. So the lines are there before even reflex movements are possible and long before voluntary muscular movement of the hand exists.

Science can not explain everything, however we can come up with conclusions to back our theories which is a slight contradiction as people base their theories on the conclusion they have already come to .. I think it would be a smarter idea to say .. I'm going to try this and i don't have a clue what the outcome will be .. And see what happens .. We may just fond the cure for all cancers .. Or is my thinking too out there??
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    My skepticism has nothing to do with that. There is absolutely NO evidence that palmistry is anything other than an educated guess at best and random luck at worst. I'm plenty open to the idea to these sorts of things but time and time again they end up just being bunk. Until you can actually falsify a palm reading it's just pseudoscience bunk.
    Several years ago i got my team leader to take a copy of her hand .. I spent 2 hours that night from the books noting everything i could about her .. She was a challenge as work was work, and home life was private. So i wasn't privvy to special information.

She was gob-smacked when i handed her the paper and she read it. I didn't even know she'd had a huge ass breakup with her father years ago and they were still not talking but that is what her lines said so i wrote it down.

Forget it .. Don't believe .. I am not here to change your mind .. Just open up other possibilities ..

P.S Reality is not real .. We are living in the matrix :horor:
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

my right and left hand are completely different from one another

seriously...

and some people seem to have no sense of fun *sigh*
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
    There's also no evidence that it isn't. I reserve judgement on this point until I get an answer, one way or the other.
    What evidence is that?

Besides, pseudoscience can be fun.
    Sometimes, sometimes it just gets tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I have no problems at all with taking a scientific approach towards it, i do it on occasions. I agree that we don't know enough about ourselves to make a conclusion about palmistry, it still can hold some weight though if it matches up with the person and their life at this present moment in time ..Anyway something i have just found ..

Scientists refer to the lines on hands as creases however ..

The main argument against them being crease lines is that the lines on the palm are all present by the time the foetus is 3 months old. The lifeline forms at 7 - 8 weeks gestation, heart & head lines at 9 - 10 weeks, but the muscles needed for movement of the hand don't form until 11 weeks, when there are the first reflex movements. Voluntary hand actions don't start till 23 weeks. The nerve endings, which stimulate the muscles, are forming around the same time as the lines. So the lines are there before even reflex movements are possible and long before voluntary muscular movement of the hand exists.

Science can not explain everything, however we can come up with conclusions to back our theories which is a slight contradiction as people base their theories on the conclusion they have already come to .. I think it would be a smarter idea to say .. I'm going to try this and i don't have a clue what the outcome will be .. And see what happens .. We may just fond the cure for all cancers .. Or is my thinking too out there??
    How do the creases showing up before birth give it any credence that they'll predict your future and personality? There is a lot we don't know about the human body but these kind of things are easy to prove wrong. You just let a palmist make a prediction and see if it comes true. But it's similar to cold reading or astrology where the prediction is so vague that any outcome can be considered to support the prediction.

And you're misusing the term theory a bit, a theory has so much overwhelming evidence that you can base other conclusions and hypothesis on it. Gravity is a theory after all :P
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    ESFJ

How do the creases showing up before birth give it any credence that they'll predict your future and personality? There is a lot we don't know about the human body but these kind of things are easy to prove wrong. You just let a palmist make a prediction and see if it comes true. But it's similar to cold reading or astrology where the prediction is so vague that any outcome can be considered to support the prediction.

And you're misusing the term theory a bit, a theory has so much overwhelming evidence that you can base other conclusions and hypothesis on it. Gravity is a theory after all :P
    Read up on the subject yeah .. It's not my job to educate you.

It doesn't predict your future .. It only talks about your past and your present.

Hasn't gravity only been proved to 99.9% .. So there is still 0.01% room for error.

You just like arguing for the sake of arguing .. Go and play your game elsewhere kid.
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Read up on the subject yeah .. It's not my job to educate you.
    I've read up on it but thanks for assuming I didn't.

It doesn't predict your future .. It only talks about your past and your present.
    Irrelevant. It still relies on cold reading.

Hasn't gravity only been proved to 99.9% .. So there is still 0.01% room for error.
    This is how theories work.

We can observe Gravity but don't completely understand how it works, there are actually competing ideas on it's actual machinations, competing hypothesis that strive to better explain the theory.

You just like arguing for the sake of arguing .. Go and play your game elsewhere kid.
    Gee willikers mister since I'm such a dumb kid I guess I'll just go play stick ball or something and not upset the big grownups.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

you're making a great start for yourself here I see... I would suggest making your own thread on the topic if you have such strong opinions... in this subforum the thread is meant to be fluffy... meaning get over it :rolli:

what's with people these days?!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESFJ

I've read up on it but thanks for assuming I didn't.
    If you'd of read up on it. You wouldn't of make the comment below about cold reading as that is not what it's all about. It's black and white darling.

Irrelevant. It still relies on cold reading.
    Ignorance.

We can observe Gravity palmistry but don't completely understand how it works.
    Thanks and fixed.

Gee willikers mister since I'm such a dumb kid I guess I'll just go play stick ball or something and not upset the big grownups.
    Goodbye then.
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe