User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which type is best for these steps?

2. You may not vote on this poll
  • ESFP

0 0%
  • ENFP

0 0%
  • ENTP

0 0%
  • ENFJ

0 0%
  • ESFJ

0 0%
  • ESTJ

0 0%
  • ESTP

0 0%
  • ENTJ

0 0%
  • ISTP

0 0%
  • ISFP

0 0%
  • ISFJ

1 50.00%
  • ISTJ

1 50.00%
  • INFJ

0 0%
  • INTJ

0 0%
  • INTP

0 0%
  • INFP

0 0%

Thread: MBTI and the Twelve Steps

Default MBTI and the Twelve Steps

as I said in another thread, I was checked into rehab in march and we have AA and the Twelve Steps pushed on us pretty hard to get out of addiction. here are the twelve steps:

"1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others, and to practice these principles in all our affairs."

it's a little hard for me to identify with these steps sometimes because I kind of want to live my life my own way sometimes, but other times it's not too bad. I was wondering which type you guys think these principles would be the easiest for?

Priestess Of Syrinx Array Katsuni's Avatar

Odd... I'd thought a 12 step program would be based on... yeu know... something related to actually fixing yeur alcoholism problem, not just glossing over it with "God'll make it better".

There's way too much faith and problems related to the assumption of just happening to be both religious AND christian in specific for those to really apply to any particular type, since every type can be any religion, including atheist and agnostic.

As such, those steps seem horribly flawed to me to begin with, since uhm... 8 of the 12 steps aren't even related to alcohol in general.

I wouldn't recommend those for anyone who's an alcoholic in the slightest. Shifting addictions to something else doesn't cure the innate problem that yeu have let go of the control of yeur life, that yeu can't handle responsibility any longer so are handing it off to something else (beer or god), and are incapable of taking the reigns back.

The steps listed do nothing to fix the core problems, they just shift yeur problems from alcohol to god, which is totally not how religion is supposed to work. Using god as a 'fix' to deal with a life that's become too problematic or too painful to bare on yeur own is a crutch at best, and completely destroying the purpose of religion in the first place.

So no, I don't think this has anything to do with MBTI, though there are probably some types that would be far more willing to just give up responsibility and control of their own lives, but then again, those're the same ones who would be more likely to become alcoholic in the first place.

I'm all for fixing yeur problems... that list, however, is a complete bastardization of faith in general, and I'm stuck wondering if Poe's law is in effect, since I can't tell if it's a bad joke or that people actually follow that.

I've never seen the steps to a 12 step program before, but those seem... really... really really innately wrong at the most fundamental level.

I agree with you on some points, but just to let you know, it's not religious at all but it's spiritual. they want us to come up with our own conception of God. alcoholism means craving of the body and obsession of the mind, that we just look for something to make us feel better when we're down. alcohol was only a symptom of the real problem-- we were the problem. spiritual distress = poop.

but yeah, I was just wondering which type would like these steps the most >_>

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

For some the choice is between abstinence and death.

And AA teaches the path to total abstinence and so has saved many lives.