User Tag List

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your ethnic background?

3w2 so

Father side: czech / bohemian / hungarian / austrian
    Mother side: polish / silesia

That all changed a lot back in the days. My grandpa had three nationalities with three identity cards. Unlucky thing was in 1933 it was german.

So I am no real Aryan and if they hadnt accepted me as an artist at the austrian museum of art, noone would know where I would have vented my anger :banned:
    Johari / Nohari

"How dreadful!" cried Lord Henry. "I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
    ~ Oscar Wilde - The picture of Dorian Gray

Junior Member Array

Most of my ancestors were from Germany and some from Denmark and Austria as far as I know. Some of my ancestors were from West/East Prussia, but they were from Austria originally. I look like an Italian mixed with Northern European. My ancestors were from the deepest Southern Germany, so maybe some of their ancestors were from Italy.

I'm not in touch with my roots. I act like a normal mainstream European.

thai (paternal) / japanese (maternal)
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    I'm half Italian
    Ah, that's why you have such a nice cleavage.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Widdles in your cream. Array

Mum's side: Irish, Italian, Welsh
    Dad's side: English, Irish

My parents and I were born and raised in England, so I suppose that makes us English? *shrug* Either way, European heritage.
    Um, yeah.

Banned Array

Full blown Norwegian. Inbreeding.

Senior Member Array Chaotic Harmony's Avatar
    9w1 sx

Mom: Unclear on all origins (didn't know her real father), but I do know of Welsh and Blackfoot Indian
    Dad: German and Chiricahua Apaches

I love German food, but only eat it in moderation... If I ate it all the time I think I'd need to visit the gym at least 3 times a day! I'm very interested in Indian culture, but don't really know as much about it as I'd like to.

my mom is Serbian from Bosnia(with lil bit of German blood - 1/4th), dad is Croat... and I am citizen of the World.

7w6 sx/sp
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Chloee View Post
    I am citizen of the World.

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Courage is immortality Array Valiant's Avatar
    8w7 sx/so

I'm 50% Walloon. Those are the French-speaking Belgians.
    50% Swedish, with some other stuff mixed in as well.
    I have a tiny, tiny bit of Sami blood. 1% or so.
    Sort of like Indians, but Scandinavian natives.
    They are closely related to the Inuits culturally and genetically.
    It's from my mother's side, and she's the blondest person for miles around...
    I got my looks from my father.

Here's a little text as to why so many Walloons came to Sweden during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries:

The De Geer name began a new phase in iron industry history. He started his business in Sweden with that of the Crown leased Finspångs Works in the Östergötland province, which he expanded to a great industrial center. There were built blast furnaces, rod iron hammers, nails and horseshoe smithies; here were built cannon foundry and brass works. In order to get skilled workers to Sweden he drafted Walloons, a mining people from that part of his country now known as Belgium.

In the Arden valleys, the Walloons had grown up performing hard work with iron and fire. They were a race of blacksmith’s that developed here, sinewy, stocky characters with dark hair and brown eyes, in which the fire from the forge seemed to shine…;

That was particularly the area of Liege, which gave this new addition to the Swedish working force. An idea of how widespread this immigration was gives us a list of not less than a half thousand Walloons names, of which some are used by their descendants in our country today.
    I really like this text. It catches some of the spirit that I see in myself and my family, and those of fairly dominant Walloon descent that I know.
    The people who came here were bold risk-takers and largely competent people built out of a stronger material than most people.
    It's still evident in the people walking around today. You often see that body build and eyes that sometimes seem to burn with an inner fire.
    Almost always when I ask, I get confirmation that they are indeed Walloon.
    Once, I had a guy reply that he was Cossack That was a nice exception.

“If you look at the ancestor charts available in any archives, you realize that they very often contain an element of Walloons. The people carrying Walloon names have their Walloon connection on their paternal side but nowadays the majority are Swedish descendants of Walloons. Therefore you can not talk about today’s “Walloons” in Sweden as Walloons any more, not even among the Walloon descendant’s of today, although the appearance and characteristics of them so seldom suggest biological inheritance from the lively and dark ancestors.

It was the opposite in the early 1700s, because then the Walloons kept to themselves and married within their own circles. Then, they represented a significant component of the web of the Swedish population, more distinctive than the Finnish, German and Scottish elements, which also made a notable trace in the Swedish population group. Not until present days have we seen a migration of similar dimensions as the Walloon immigration by the arrival of refugees from the Baltic countries and other areas on the European continent. Also these groups will in large part assimilate well into our population and should not cause headaches to future genealogists, as Walloons are doing now.

The difference being that my Walloon line didn't marry a single ethnic Swede (it seems) until my father married my mother.
    Which is sort of easy, since there are lots of Walloon people up around where my dad's family comes from.

Either way, i'm proud of my heritage. It sure gave me my dashing looks, my practical and abrupt ways, my traditions as well as blacksmith's genes that made me good with my hands and strong as an ox.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come