INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Want a shot of whisky? I'm buyin'!
    Only if it's Scotch!
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Pettycure View Post
    Only if it's Scotch!
    Ooooh, be still my heart. I like a woman who knows what she wants.

Is Glenlivet good enough?

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Of course!

Funny story. I knew a Venezuelan family in high school, and the first day I met the eldest son he started speaking to me in Spanish. When I told him I didn't know any, he thought it was a shame that I didn't keep in touch with the language. When I told him I had never known it nor was I a Latina, he started laughing and apologized for assuming. That's only happened to me twice before

What's your nationality, btw?
    That is funny. "No, you don't understand...."

That happens constantly to my ex-partner but he is biracial. He broke down and learned enough Spanish to small talk.

American.

Been asked numerous times am I West Indian...I don't get that.

You should see our kids....

Right, but that can easily be solved by saying you have this and this ancestry with more pronounced ties with this. No arithmetic needed.

I was speaking as a mixed kid there. Filled with tragic confusion, of course.

Many of us feel pressured to choose a race, to choose a side, so we try compromising on who we feel we are by saying we're half this and half that instead of that we're both/all of what we are. We do it to appease those who can't seem to grasp the idea that someone can be two or more races at the same time. I was speaking from that frustration.

I agree. Acknowledging our differences is just as important as acknowledging our similarities (I think that's what you were saying). The problem only comes in when too much emphasis is put on one more so than the other.

I hear you Sometimes I don’t feel totally accepted, I’m not black enough or I’m not Korean enough. I’m mixed with African American but they call me Asian because I don’t look mixed. In Korea, I’m just American and not Korean. It’s weird.

I was chatting with my co worker who is from the Dominican Republic (but of African ancestry) & thought that we might be able to relate to each other about our African roots, but I was wrong.

She kept saying "NO NO NO my ancestors are not African, they are Dominican". I’m thinking in my head that she’s retarded; Africans were brought to her country as slaves in the 1500's. Its not like I care if she’s interested at all, It was just funny because she made herself look like an ass for not recognizing that her descendents really did come from Africa.
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

Irish, English, Scottish, Native American (Cherokee and Seminole), French and Portuguese. There are also some splashes Italian, Pacific Islander, and Israeli ancestry.

garbage

boring English heritage, through and through

i'm so white

but I rebel against Father Geneticist by dating exotic women

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    That is funny. "No, you don't understand...."

That happens constantly to my ex-partner but he is biracial. He broke down and learned enough Spanish to small talk.

American.

Been asked numerous times am I West Indian...I don't get that.

You should see our kids....
    Biracial? What's his mix?

Ah, your username makes sense to me now

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    I was chatting with my co worker who is from the Dominican Republic (but of African ancestry) & thought that we might be able to relate to each other about our African roots, but I was wrong.

She kept saying "NO NO NO my ancestors are not African, they are Dominican". I’m thinking in my head that she’s retarded; Africans were brought to her country as slaves in the 1500's. Its not like I care if she’s interested at all, It was just funny because she made herself look like an ass for not recognizing that her descendents really did come from Africa.
    Well, your co-worker does have the right to identify as whatever she wants. It is, after all, her identity. I don't exactly get the "My ancestors aren't African but Dominican" argument, but I believe (and I'm speculating here) that by claiming her ancestors were Dominican she was hinting at her own multiracial background as they are a very mixed people. Thus, her assessment of where her ancestors are from wasn't necessarily incorrect, just not complete. She's very likely descended from Africans, Frenchmen, Spaniards, and Native Indians, ethnically speaking. You'd hear a similar sentiment from Creole people who tend to distinguish themselves from African-Americans and the AA community quite often.

There may have also been some cultural differences in your exchange as well. Was she born in the Dominican? If so, how long has she been away? I know several Latin@s who take a lot of pride in where they're from when they come to the US. Puerto Ricans stick with Puerto Ricans, Dominicans stick with Dominicans, and so on. They like to preserve and hold on to cultural ties from the old country while they're here, similar to what you'd find from any group of newly immigrated peoples (Haitians, Koreans, Chinese, Jamaicans, etc.). That isn't to imply that this type of division is right or entirely justifiable, but it's there. It has a purpose.

Yes she can totally identify with what ever she wants thats totally fine with me !

But it is a fact that Africans were brought to the DR' as slaves, so it is a fact that she does have African Ancestery.

Maybe she is in denial or ignorant of that fact? She is a dumb chick in general though so its probabley just ingnorance. I hate to sound so mean, but its true...shes an idiot (not because she disagrees with me, but in general lol).
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Biracial? What's his mix?

Ah, your username makes sense to me now

His father is black; his mother was Polish-Jew from her mother and some Italian, German, and Scots ancestry thrown in from his mother's father.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Mom's side: Finnish (I think the ancestry is Swedish going a bit farther back, and maybe a bit of German?)

Dad's side: My grandfather was born in Ireland, educated in England and emigrated to Canada. His ancestors were English, from Yorkshire, so the "Irish" side of my family is really more Anglo-Irish. My grandmother's family I don't know a lot about, to be honest. But I know some of her ancestors had been in Canada for a couple hundred years at least, I think some of them were United Empire Loyalists who left the States when they declared independence from Britain. And I know we had a French ancestor at the Battle of the Plains of Abraham (pivotal battle in Canadian history between the English and French - the English won, which is partly why most of Canada speaks English rather than French!)

Basically, I'm very much a northerner. Given that I have ancestry from both Scandinavia and Yorkshire, I figure I'm some sort of Viking (that would explain why I'm so tall.) I occasionally like to describe myself as a Pacific Viking, since I grew up in Canada's Pacific Northwest.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING