User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

lol, "rat holes".

sometimes i think i'm pessimistic, but you're really a glass-half-empty kind of guy, victor. there's a good and bad side to ethnicity. and ethnicity is never going to disappear either, and it's a pointless goal to wish for..as pointless as unicorns and fairies or some other fantasy. instead of idealizing some world where ethnicity doesn't exist, find an ideal that works with it and simply brings people together instead. that's what you really want, right? you'd get there quicker if you don't demand an unrealistic change to everything.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    That's definitely true. But I just take it as a way of explaining your ethnic background proportions; where your parents and grandparents etc. came from.
    Right, but that can easily be solved by saying you have this and this ancestry with more pronounced ties with this. No arithmetic needed.

But of course no one will actually be divided up that way.
    I was speaking as a mixed kid there. Filled with tragic confusion, of course.

Many of us feel pressured to choose a race, to choose a side, so we try compromising on who we feel we are by saying we're half this and half that instead of that we're both/all of what we are. We do it to appease those who can't seem to grasp the idea that someone can be two or more races at the same time. I was speaking from that frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    sometimes i think i'm pessimistic, but you're really a glass-half-empty kind of guy, victor. there's a good and bad side to ethnicity. and ethnicity is never going to disappear either, and it's a pointless goal to wish for..as pointless as unicorns and fairies or some other fantasy. instead of idealizing some world where ethnicity doesn't exist, find an ideal that works with it and simply brings people together instead. that's what you really want, right? you'd get there quicker if you don't demand an unrealistic change to everything.
    I agree. Acknowledging our differences is just as important as acknowledging our similarities (I think that's what you were saying). The problem only comes in when too much emphasis is put on one more so than the other.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Right, but that can easily be solved by saying you have this and this ancestry with more pronounced ties with this. No arithmetic needed.

I was speaking as a mixed kid there. Filled with tragic confusion, of course.

Many of us feel pressured to choose a race, to choose a side, so we try compromising on who we feel we are by saying we're half this and half that instead of that we're both/all of what we are. We do it to appease those who can't seem to grasp the idea that someone can be two or more races at the same time. I was speaking from that frustration.
    Yeah, it seems like multiracial people in America with any African ancestry are pressured to identify as black, and not mixed. Maybe that attitude goes back to the One Drop Rule and is a leftover effect?

But I think because people of mixed-race are the fastest growing group in the US, that racial ambiguity will be thought of as more regular and accepted, at some point.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    I have African (Afro-mutt here), Muscogee Creek, Italian, and Samoan ancestry. I consider my racial identity to be one of a multi-racial, first-generationally mixed person but identify more culturally with being American, particularly black American.
    Samoan! Fantastic! Does this make you laid back, fun and lovable?

What an interesting make up.

I think the fractions/percentage thing is silly, if not a little weird. Ethnicity isn't divided up in an individual like a pie. It just doesn't work like that. No one's "half" or a "fourth" of anything.
    So true. Race is very much a state of mind. Its what you feel represents you rather than something exact and objectively defined. And even when, say, you know you grandmother is Irish, what if her mother was French? Almost no one is 100% a single ethnicity any more.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Jesus, this forum is really wasp-y
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Smile

there's a good and bad side to ethnicity. and ethnicity is never going to disappear either
    Sequencing the genome has abolished ethnicity.

Ethnicity is now a cover for racism and eugenics.

Just as Intelligent Design is a cover for Creationism, and MBTI is a cover for somatic types.

The only thing I'm sure of is that some of my ancestors were Swedish. My family has been in America for a long time. As far as I know, even my grandparent's grandparents were born in America.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

German, Swiss, French, and Scottish

reviving the thread? African-American, Cuban, Native American (Cherokee) & French (All that I know of so far, really want to learn more though).

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

German and Irish. I look more German though, I'm Blond haired and blue eyed.

But I do have red facial hair for some reason. And no one in my family has red hair at all.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)