User Tag List

First 101819202122 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post

Isn't French Vulgar Latin and thus pretty much stolen from Italians?
    Actually, French is far closer to Latin than Italian is, especially when it comes to vocabulary and grammar. But Italian is probably closer to the original Latin accent and pronunciation.
    It's easy to prove this paradox nonetheless. Just check for instance the way we inflect the verb "to be" at present indicative.

Latin -> Suis, Es, Est, Sumus, Estis, Sunt
    French -> Suis, Es, Est, Sommes, Êtes, Sont
    Italian -> Sono, Sei, è, Siamo, Siete, Sono

But the truth is that in written form, Italian and French are almost mutually intelligible. Italian and French are closer than, say, Italian and Spanish (Even if Catalan is the closest relative of modern French). It's like a Swede speaking to a Norwegian.
    As a French, the trick I use to understand Italian is to deliberately forget the proper "noble" Latin root that you can still notice in most French words, and focus more on the way it sounds (or rather, the way it should have sounded).
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Sérieusement.

Désireriez-vous que l'on compare nos niveaux respectifs de maîtrise de la langue de Molière? Les formes et les tournures que nous employions?

Puisqu'il semble y avoir ici-même des locuteurs québécois et acadiens, la chose ne serait certainement pas dénuée d'intérêt. Car j'ai beau prétendre maîtriser "à peu près correctement" l'anglais, rien ne peut se comparer à l'usage de ma langue natale, surtout que je suis censé l'utiliser quotidiennement à un niveau universitaire. Lorsque je m'exprime en anglais, j'ai souvent l'impression de me limiter à un rôle d'adolescent hâbleur et joueur se contentant de quelques sympathiques plaisanteries très conviviales, mais ce n'est qu'en français que je peux enfin donner pleinement la mesure de l'incisivité et de la pertinence de ma pensée, voire de sa causticité.
    Ceci étant dit sans aucune prétention, bien entendu.

I wish I knew enough French to converse with you properly, but alas! I'm very anglophone. I only know enough French to get the gist of what you're saying, so sorry if I respond inappropriately. My Acadien relatives definitely don't communicate on that level.

Anyway, I had often wondered how you feel about expressing yourself in English. You communicate very well, but like you said (I think) it's still not the same as using one's native tongue. It's very fascinating how different languages shape our thoughts. I find that different aspects of ourselves can shine through when speaking different languages.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Actually, French is far closer to Latin than Italian is, especially when it comes to vocabulary and grammar. But Italian is probably closer to the original Latin accent and pronunciation.
    It's easy to prove this paradox nonetheless. Just check for instance the way we inflect the verb "to be" at present indicative.

Latin -> Suis, Es, Est, Sumus, Estis, Sunt
    French -> Suis, Es, Est, Sommes, Êtes, Sont
    Italian -> Sono, Sei, è, Siamo, Siete, Sono

But the truth is that in written form, Italian and French are almost mutually intelligible. Italian and French are closer than, say, Italian and Spanish (Even if Catalan is the closest relative of modern French). It's like a Swede speaking to a Norwegian.
    As a French, the trick I use to understand Italian is to deliberately forget the proper "noble" Latin root that you can still notice in most French words, and focus more on the way it sounds (or rather, the way it should have sounded).
    I mean Italian in the sense of "Roman".. not really historically accurate, mind you, but geographically speaking...
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I mean Italian in the sense of "Roman".. not really historically accurate, mind you, but geographically speaking...
    Well... It's a classic linguistic phenomena and paradox.
    People who learned classic latin also learned a purer form of it. This is what probably happened in Gaul during the antiquity, compared to the Italian peninsula where Latin could evolve (and drift) at a faster rate.

For instance, if you go to Scotland, you will notice that the Highlanders can speak a very pure form of English (because they have learned it in school), while understanding the common Glasgowian dialect can be very difficult even for you (unless you're fluent in Burns's poetry).

---

You see what I mean?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Isn't French Vulgar Latin
    French is Latin perfected.

Sérieusement.

Désireriez-vous que l'on compare nos niveaux respectifs de maîtrise de la langue de Molière? Les formes et les tournures que nous employions?

etc.

Qu'est-ce qui est arrivé à l'autre moitié de cette conversation?

According to this satire, chiac is simply what we French (from France) call the "franglais".
    "Franglais" is also a common term in Quebec.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I have a bit of swarthy look, french, german, dutch, I suspect.

I don't have an ethnic background.

I speak the lingua franca of the world.

I am subscribed to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

I am both literate and wired.

I understand the counter-intuitive thought of science, economics, liberal democracy and modern art.

We patronise ethnics and play them off against each other and call it multi-culturalism.

Only notice: we are absent from the multi-cultural ethnic mix.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

62.40% Anglo Saxon and 0.10% Scottish + 12.50% Welsh and 25% Anglicised Viking.

(This is me in Amsterdam).
    Likes geedoenfj liked this post

One grandparent from Serbia, one grandparent from Hungary, two Russian Jewish grandparents.
    Likes geedoenfj liked this post