User Tag List

First 91718192021 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    I've been to New Brunswick, it's really nice. But that French accent though.. I've got some bad news.
    People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I listened to a very interesting interview on the CBC a few months ago about French in New Brunswick. The most interesting thing to me, besides hearing chiac, was who the New Brunswickers perceived as the biggest threat to Acadian French. The usual line out of Quebec is that the maudit anglais are to blame for everything and they're quashing French in Quebec, but not so in New Brunswick. The biggest threat, according to them, was francophones from Quebec!

Many of the teachers in Acadie were hired from Quebec and they taught 1) don't intersperse English with French (no chiac!) and 2) "this (Quebecois French) is what a 'correct' Canadian French accent is supposed to sound like".

Same thing with Franco-Manitobans, from what I've heard.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post

I listened to a very interesting interview on the CBC a few months ago about French in New Brunswick. The most interesting thing to me, besides hearing chiac, was who the New Brunswickers perceived as the biggest threat to Acadian French. The usual line out of Quebec is that the maudit anglais are to blame for everything and they're quashing French in Quebec, but not so in New Brunswick. The biggest threat, according to them, was francophones from Quebec!

Many of the teachers in Acadie were hired from Quebec and they taught 1) don't intersperse English with French (no chiac!) and 2) "this (Quebecois French) is what a 'correct' Canadian French accent is supposed to sound like".

That's very interesting. Wasn't even aware of this. : /

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Well... in that case it's very easy to settle your dispute (and to reconcile Quebecois and Acadians in the process).
    The perfect French is the one defined by the French academy. And in that case, it's the French I speak (neutral Parisian poshy accent).
    So bow before my magnificence!

"A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Oh, apparently I never answered the titular question. I thought I did years ago, but perhaps it was another similar thread.

My "ethnic background" is not a very interesting one, just a smattering of pasty people from the British Isles. If you go back far enough some of them migrated to Britain from France (mostly Norman I think, or perhaps Breton; I'd have to ask my aunt), but that's many centuries ago. My parents and grandparents were born in Canada, and of my eight great-grandparents: one was from Ireland, two were from Scotland, three were from England and two were from Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Well... in that case it's very easy to settle your dispute (and to reconcile Quebecois and Acadians in the process).
    The perfect French is the one defined by the French academy. And in that case, it's the French I speak (neutral Parisian poshy accent).
    So bow before my magnificence!
    Don't forget what happened to Louis XVI.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Don't forget what happened to Louis XVI.
    Don't forget my ancestors were "rabid French republicans" too...

----

Anyway, just like everywhere else, the best way to reconcile Acadians and Quebecois is to bring them a common foe.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Don't forget my ancestors were "rabid French republicans" too...

----

Anyway, just like everywhere else, the best way to reconcile Acadians and Quebecois is to bring them a common foe.
    Out of curiosity can you understand much of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w36ZLQ5H2so ?

(It's satire by the way.)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Sérieusement.

Désireriez-vous que l'on compare nos niveaux respectifs de maîtrise de la langue de Molière? Les formes et les tournures que nous employions?

Puisqu'il semble y avoir ici-même des locuteurs québécois et acadiens, la chose ne serait certainement pas dénuée d'intérêt. Car j'ai beau prétendre maîtriser "à peu près correctement" l'anglais, rien ne peut se comparer à l'usage que je fais de ma langue natale, surtout que je suis censé l'utiliser quotidiennement à un niveau universitaire. Lorsque je m'exprime en anglais, j'ai souvent l'impression de me limiter à un rôle d'adolescent hâbleur et joueur se contentant de quelques sympathiques causeries très conviviales, mais ce n'est qu'en français que je peux enfin donner pleinement la mesure de l'incisivité et de la pertinence de ma pensée, voire de sa causticité.
    Ceci étant dit sans aucune prétention, bien entendu.

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Out of curiosity can you understand much of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w36ZLQ5H2so ?

(It's satire by the way.)
    It's not very complex.

According to this satire, chiac is simply what we French (from France) call the "franglais". And it's commonly spoken everywhere, unfortunately.
    And I find this creole to be an irony of history, because English is already a creole (bastard language for the common illiterate people) that included a lot of French words -more than 60% of its vocabulary, according to the Oxford dictionary-.
    So the chiac is, somehow, a creole of a creole, a bastardised version of an already bastard language, a simplified version of a language already designed by and for simple persons (-> English).

----

But the truth is that I don't mind if English becomes the esperanto of the Western world, because it's the simplest language to learn (even morons could master its tenses). Should French or German have been chosen instead, it would have been a nightmare to unify Europe, because of the sheer complexity, the subtle precision and the inherent elitism of these languages.
    At least, English is a blurry language, devoid of any complexity, subtlety or finesse. Thank the Lord!
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 11-22-2013 at 09:29 AM.

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

The area had the reputation of being "a nest of hopeless unbelievers" even during the late Middle-Age, and it's still the same now.
    Cathars? At any rate, French is Vulgar Latin, ripped off from Italians. (Addressing another post that I am too lazy to quote now.)

As for myself, Irish from Tipperary County, and Eastern European Jews from Mogilev, Belarus. There's also some other Eastern European Jewish ancestry in there (possibly Georgian?! )

because English is already a creole (bastard language for the common illiterate people)
    Isn't French Vulgar Latin and thus pretty much stolen from Italians?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78