First 234

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    I prefer in this order,

Email, IM, Texting, Phone, Faceboo/social networking.

I got coerced into getting a Facebook and I hate it. I get really frustrated when I email someone and they never get back and the next time I see them I confront them about it and they whine because I didn't send them a message on Facebook.
    That's funny, my preferences are the same except I equate email with facebook messaging. I actually msg with facebook more often because I think my friends check it more often, and I can msg acquaintances easily without needing to track down an email. I guess it depends how common it is in your social group.

I know I check both fb and email about a million times a day, so either one is good.
    -end of thread-

Banned
    MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Nothing says awkward like me on the phone.

Definitely a texter.

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

Texting is much better. It makes no-nonsense, faster communication.

I talk only when facing an emergency.

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric

Smile Skype

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I mean in interpersonal relationships, like with friends and family, not for anything work or school related.

Which do you prefer and why?

edit: please include whether you prefer IM'ing/facebook/or emailing vs talking too. I'm most interested in why you prefer one over the other.
    I love talking on the phone. I feel relaxed and comfortable. I can hear how you are feeling and convey how I am feeling by tone of voice.

Also it seems like an awful lot of fun to me.

If you would like to talk to me on the phone for free, you can contact me on Skype. My Skype name is shortus.

I look forward to hearing from you.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

In order from most preferred to least preferred:

Face to Face
    IM/Text Message
    Email
    Phone

I really don't like talking on the phone at all. I guess because it is so much harder to have a good feel for the other person when I can't see them. Somehow this problem is reduced in written communication, probably because thoughts are more organized and planned out and there is less of a need to pick up things from the other person on the fly.

EDIT: I think I was thinking mostly of work situations here which I see now was not the intent of the thread. For personal stuff I think it is the same except put email below phone.

MBTI
    SEXY

I prefer talking, but for short messages I usually text, it's cheaper.
    (removed)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

In general talking on the phone is not my cupa, especially with an intimate. There are times however when I am able to enter into the phone grove of talking just to talk. I have trained myself on nonverbal clues in conversation and sometimes (such as on the phone in an emotional context) I feel that I am walking into a situation half blind by not having those clues accessible.

More comfortable with text and email (don't care too much for live chat and don't do IM that much)

Just the other day I had to explain my Fe inferior to an intimate who seemed insulted that I did not want to talk very long to her on the phone.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Banned
    MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post

I really don't like talking on the phone at all. I guess because it is so much harder to have a good feel for the other person when I can't see them. Somehow this problem is reduced in written communication, probably because thoughts are more organized and planned out and there is less of a need to pick up things from the other person on the fly.
    +1

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Texting is God's gift to introverts. I much prefer to text if I just have a quick question or want to say something quick - then I don't have to go through all the small talk before getting to the point of why I called.

Of course, if my aim is just to catch up, I prefer to talk... but I really only do that with my mom, husband (if I'm out of town), my BFF, and occasionally my cousin. Otherwise, texting. Or email, or Facebook.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I prefer communicating in person or talking on the phone. It's rare for my family or friends to text me, so I'm just not used to doing it. If they've really got something to say, they call. Also, I prefer hearing the intonations in people's voices when they speak to me, and I prefer that people hear mine. At the same time, I don't really talk on the phone much, and only talk regularly and at length to a few people.

I'll text about trivial subjects and when communicative subtlety is unimportant. Sometimes I find it best to send an email or write a letter as a way to communicate about a serious subject, especially if there is high conflict potential. I haven't used IM regularly in years, and I rarely talk to people via Facebook. Most everyone I do speak to on Facebook has my phone number, and they call me if they want to say something. Most communication there is incredibly lite.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.