User Tag List

123 Last

Hate

Default First Impressions

Our brains form first impressions by creating a composite of all the signals given off by a new experience. How good these impressions are at making accurate judgments of people depends on the observer and the person being observed. In this short time, the other person forms an opinion about you based on your appearance, your body language, your demeanor, your mannerisms, and how you are dressed.

If someone makes a bad first impression…what are the chances of them redeeming themselves with you?

How much do you trust your instincts during a first impression?

What kinds of assumptions and stereotypes do people usually make about you during a first impression?

How about when it comes to online first impressions…. What do you take into account when evaluating an online first impression?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I'd say for a bad first impression to be relinquished, I'd need to have 2-3 good interactions with a person thereafter.

The same goes for a good impression: I'd need to have 2-3 bad interactions with a person thereafter to form a bad impression.

My initial opinions are pretty flexible. However, I do have a hard time changing my opinions/views after I've held them for a while.

As far as peoples' first impressions of me: Usually people find me either very strange or very annoying, or both. I can be quite stubborn, especially in academic situations, and I am also very blunt, and that bothers most people who have insecurities or see value in social propriety and professionalism. I have a hard time forming good first impressions on people that I meet, but if some one actually takes the time to get to know me, they almost always grow fond of me.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

If someone makes a bad first impression…what are the chances of them redeeming themselves with you?
    Most of the time I'm really good at forming these impression, but there is a certain type of person I always mistake for being something bad but who later turn out to be quite reasonable. Always the same type of person, the kind that first comes of as mentally weak, soft and naive but who later actually turn out to be very wise.

As I'm very good at making first impressions, I know I can trust them.

What kinds of assumptions and stereotypes do people usually make about you during a first impression?
    I think I only notice a few things: strong vs. weak, openminded vs. conservative, fun vs. serious, friendly vs. unfriendly. And I'm almost always right about these right away.

How about when it comes to online first impressions…. What do you take into account when evaluating an online first impression?
    Avatars, usernames and their first post. But the problem is that I forget about users quite often. Then I'm like "yeah, I know your username, but who were you again?". It's actually easier when these users have a picture of themselves in their albums, then I remember them much, much longer. This way people who don't have pictures of themselves need to make new first impressions all the time. People without faces just come across as a bunch of words to me.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    yupp

i find alot of times when people are like i'm always right about intial impressions, they're usually wrong but close off their minds to the possibility that the person could have had a bad day. JMO

also i find alot of times people i hate when i first meet i usually end up liking, and the people i like when i first meet i usually end up hating.

MBTI
    ESTJ

I try really really hard not to be swayed or judge people by the first time I meet someone.

Some people are just shy/awkward around people they've never talked to before and on the same token you have the charmers. Both of those tend to mask what a person is really like... so I wait a while, once I've interacted with them a couple times, I can get a good feel of what they are really like.

It's just my way of compensating for my naiveté.

I think people think I'm either a ditz or too blunt or just right. Just comes down to what they value in a person I guess.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Quite high, I don't trust my first impressions

See above. Usually when I first meet someone, if I think they're an asshole they probably aren't, and if they seem nice and cool they're probably an asshole.

I assume that I come off as creepy and imposing. So I end up probably coming off as overly nice and awkward.

The intelligence of their posts, their writing style, etc. I tend to attach personalities to people online which are probably grossly stereotyped projections.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    The chances are very good. I always try to give people second chances because I don't have any idea what kind issues were at play when the bad impression was made. It could most definitely be something situational and dependent on circumstances that have absolutely no connection with me.

I do trust them. However, I try to keep an open mind but if I really do get a very negative vibe from somebody, it definitely affects me. Building trust might be more difficult then but it's not really anything that seals the deal straight away. With both, positive and negative "vibes" I get from people, I don't just jump in from the start, I observe and pay closer attention to the details to make up my mind whether my instincts can be trusted or not. That's what I do with everything.

I rarely ask them. But I have a pretty good idea what they might see - most probably reserved, uptight, aloof, things like that. I tend to make horrible first impressions or so it feels to me.

Everything I can observe, obviously. What is said, how things are approached, what might be left unsaid, but mostly the things I pay closer attention to are determined by some instantaneous "vibe" and I move forward with that.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I always allow for changing information, so even if someone's provenly a total wastoid I'll still shift my opinion if later they show patterns for change.

My instincts are pretty good but I always validate with interaction and observation and, as I said, don't stop collecting and reviewing new data. I've had times where I ignored my first impression, then later realized I was right the first time.

People have told me I seem warm, smart, funny, and kind as my primary traits. However, I'm more afraid I can come off as goofy, reticent, cold, boring, or self-centered.

I wouldn't really know, since I only know what people verbalize.

What people say (and DON'T say) and how they say it (and DON'T say it).

But you're only seeing one part of the person online. Making a snap judgment online can lead you astray, there's less cross-validation you can do.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

oh that could be a good learning experience if we talk about the first impressions we've had of each other.

to answer the op: i very rarely make final conclusions about people so yeah i'm very open to adjusting my initial opinion once i have new information.

also...it might sound terrible but i think it's a lot easier to change a good first impression than a bad one. :/
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

They have no need to redeem themselves. All impressions impress me and I hold no expectations for people.

Without question or reserve!

He's a fucking genius.

That first impressions are sometimes hollow, and you first need to push the right buttons in order to see the true nature of a person surface.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf