User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

First impressions- I realize that I have my own set of biases, as will anyone else.

Our brains associate & form some impressions from our past, but the key thing is how long do we hold onto those impressions and do we recognize where they stem from?

It's funny when things like intuition get mistaken for prejudice/assumptions, when they're not. I think impressions that cause us to vehemently dislike someone are our own self-projections.. I don't understand that concept of hating someone without knowing them.

How do I deal with negative first impressions? I think- that person's having a bad day. If I'm being mocked at or treated in a disrespectful manner, then I back away- as I think 'respect' is something that we earn. If that's broken based on our first interactions, it leaves a strong impression on me. If I contributed to it, then it's usually because I fight back or I stand up for what I believe in- If I handled it in a polite manner, and I still get scoffed a nasty attitude back, then I really could give two shitsworth (in a really cold way). I find it bothersome in a way that sometimes I give people way more credit than deserved, then I'm kinda disappointed. It's also my own fault as well. I'm not perfect either. Far from it.

Other than that, I realize that people's moods may fluctuate. I don't hold them to that standard of whatever they present like it's solid fact.. Basically, I get in tune with their feelings. I don't really think much other than that.

Edit- I'm thinking of this purely on first impressions. Upon slowly getting to know deeper aspects of someone, that's a whole other story.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post

What kinds of assumptions and stereotypes do people usually make about you during a first impression?

He's a fucking genius.
    And modest too, LOL!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    also...it might sound terrible but i think it's a lot easier to change a good first impression than a bad one. :/
    I agree with this sentiment. Which is why I try to disregard first impressions altogether.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    And modest too, LOL!
    I knew I forgot something! I guess that's just the modesty though. It comes so natural to me, I am not even aware of it consciously.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

First impressions can be very deceiving, either good or bad

A bad impression can always be redeemed as long as I don't sense danger from the person.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

If someone makes a bad first impression…what are the chances of them redeeming themselves with you?

I usually try to avoid judging someone on the first impression... you rarely see much of a person in one impression

How much do you trust your instincts during a first impression?

somewhat, but I'm forgiving

What kinds of assumptions and stereotypes do people usually make about you during a first impression?

that I'm not very bright probably

How about when it comes to online first impressions…. What do you take into account when evaluating an online first impression?

the only thing that makes me bristle online is if someone uses a hard to read font or announces that they're better than everyone else... then they fail, otherwise, I don't really care all that much
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    oh that could be a good learning experience if we talk about the first impressions we've had of each other.
    Oh yeah...definitely... I do this all the time and it's interesting to compare how people think they are coming across to how it's being perceived.

also...it might sound terrible but i think it's a lot easier to change a good first impression than a bad one. :/
    Yeah... this is definitely a good point... I think I forgot to consider this.. because a lot of people try to be on their best behavior during a first impression. This statement might even hold more truth than the other way around I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I knew I forgot something! I guess that's just the modesty though. It comes so natural to me, I am not even aware of it consciously.
    .. Oh Fluffywolf... You never cease to amaze me.

MBTI
    yupp

i suck at first impressions, but i don't put much stock in someone who's going to hate me based on one meeting. i figure they suck aswell, though if you cross me i will find away to get you back, I don't lie down and play nice if I've been hurt.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm a pretty good judge of character, usually. I can generally read people's demeanors with accuracy. The only problem is that sometimes they're reacting to how they perceive me, and if they're intimidated or insecure, I'm not getting a clear read on how they really are.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    If someone makes a bad first impression…what are the chances of them redeeming themselves with you?

How much do you trust your instincts during a first impression?

How about when it comes to online first impressions…. What do you take into account when evaluating an online first impression?
    I trust my first impressions almost 100%.

In the past this is how it seemed to go:
    -I ignore my first impression and go forth with initiating friendship.
    -Things go wonderfully and I scold myself for thinking such things about said person.
    -Then I realize I was right along and, my first impression proves to be true.

So now I generally trust my impressions.
    http://bohemianextrovert.wordpress.com/
    Please excuse the long drawn out ramble above.
    I have to hear what I've said before I know what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------