User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default So what exactly was bothering you today?

I decided to start a thread where members can complain about what’s going on in their lives. Be it big or small, you can post it here.

One rule I’d like to add is that you shouldn’t complain about another Typology Central member (at least by name).

This is a thread where you can tell the world that your car dealer is a bastard, that you have a sore throat, that you’ve just blown 56 dollars on a videogame that turned out to be terrible, that your dentist recommended a root canal for a tooth they knew was unsalvageable, and so on.

Post what's been bothering you today.
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

MBTI
    INTJ

I suppose I’ll start:
    ---
    Some time ago, I ordered several how-to-write-fiction books online at the recommendation of another online writing tutorial. The books finally came this morning and I spent a good three hours reading them.

They are utter CRAP! The name of the books (Ironically) are “How to write a damn good novel” both 1# and 2#. Oh my god, they’re baby level easy- NOTHING OF SUBSTANCE IS OFFERED BY THESE SHITTASTIC BOOKS!!!!!!! Admittedly, the second one is much better than the first- but that doesn’t make either one of them good. The second one suffers from many of the same issues. It’s just that now the writing style is a little bit more palatable.

Here’s a basic brake down of what I hate about these things:
    1. Circumlocution-
      • the writer is wordy, evasive, and rambles on and on before making his point (if at all). The book is practically written long-hand, as if the how-to book was originally going to be a biography on the what author did to become successful, but then he changed his mind at the last second and added a few miscellaneous sentences here and there on how to write an opening paragraph. It boggles the mind that a supposedly accomplished writer wouldn’t be able to get his thoughts onto paper.

2. He promises to give advice and then doesn’t-
      • This is actually what I truly hate about this first book. He’ll have a title that indicates how to find cliché story arches in your own writing (something that I’m highly interested in) and then he doesn’t actually give a technique. He just sort of rambles on about how clichés are bad.

3. -All he wants to talk about (indeed, the only genre he bothers to illustrate) are mystery/ detective stories.
      • This probably would be more forgivable if the title of his book were “How to write damn good detective thriller” (which it’s not).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

All that being said... he still managed to sell you a two book(s).
    And that is what is wrong in this world.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

What bothers me on a daily basis is a whole damn lot. More than I could write down in a 1000 page book.

I mostly hate the fact that honesty doesn't work in business. And it's way more profitable to shout your way out of everything. I've gotten pretty damn good at it, so it's a good thing I managed to seperate my personal dignity and business. Otherwise I'd feel terrible too on a daily basis. :P

Example. If I get a bill from a large company for a service that wasn't done correctly or according to my wishes, I just keep being a pain to them not wanting to pay. Eventually, they'll put the case in the "tough cases" department and you're clear of it, just make sure you send a few well documented letters and make a case for yourself so they won't even bother sueing you.

Whereas, if you'd try to be nice and helpful, they'll keep going at it until you pay, even for a service you didn't want. Being a pain in the ass is very profitable. I hate that, since I would much prefer to be nice and honest, it just doesn't work that way and you have to be a bastard. That's just good business.

Ofcourse it would be infinately better if companies could just perform their service as advertised. :P

Humans are dumb and unprofessional.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

My city has the lamest highways and city planning... for a big city at least.

teh internettz...

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    All that being said... he still managed to sell you a two book(s).
    And that is what is wrong in this world.
    I bought the books online without being able to read a sample page. If I had thumbed though them at a bookstore, I would never have considered purchasing such garbage. It’s my own fault really- I should have searched for a physical copy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    I bought the books online without being able to read a sample page. If I had thumbed though them at a bookstore, I would never have considered purchasing such garbage. It’s my own fault really- I should have searched for a physical copy.

I think I got skeptical back in my 20's when I saw ads to "read books for money." It made it sound like the people could actually give me a job. And instead what I got in the mail was a book telling me how to go about finding people to pay me money to read books. Completely worthless, all stuff I could find out on my own, and I had paid $40 for it.

Crushing cynicism ensued, and I've been wary of programs and self-help books ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf
    Whereas, if you'd try to be nice and helpful, they'll keep going at it until you pay, even for a service you didn't want. Being a pain in the ass is very profitable. I hate that, since I would much prefer to be nice and honest, it just doesn't work that way and you have to be a bastard. That's just good business.
    Yeah, I've found out the same thing -- if I'm nice, I get screwed, and only when I'm a pain in the ass do I get what I want.

Maybe 18 months ago, I went to get gas turned on in an apartment where the gas was already supposed to be turned on but the landlord had screwed up. When I contacted the gas company, they told me it would cost me $38 for them to show up to simply flip a switch to turn the thing on. This was in the spring too. I was really ticked and I openly told them it was unfair and explained why (I forget the exact details now). The lady tried to insist, and I pushed my case one more cycle (and I was polite about it, just firm)...

... and suddenly she got really snarky with me but said she was going to remove the activation fee. I sat there stunned as I realized, finally, for the first time in my life, the Power of the Asshole.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    My city has the lamest highways and city planning... for a big city at least.
    I visited Washington DC for the first time when I was 11 years old. There are only two things I remembered from that trip: my first taste of powdered eggs and the fact that the freeways didn’t have off ramps.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ... and suddenly she got really snarky with me but said she was going to remove the activation fee. I sat there stunned as I realized, finally, for the first time in my life, the Power of the Asshole.
    I’m embarrassed to ask this, but what does the word “snark” mean? In the context I’ve heard it in previously, it sounded like a word describing someone who would tell on you if you smoked marijuana.