User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Computer help!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default Computer help!

My mum spent the afternoon typing something (into Powerpoint by accident. She thought it was Word). It was not saved and through a mistake, when given the option to save before exiting, she selected no. There isn't any way to retrieve that from somewhere, is there? I checked recycle bin, but it only goes there if it actually was saved, right? We have whatever thing comes between Windows XP and the most current edition, so everything is in screwy places compared to what I'm used to.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

If it wasn't saved, I'm pretty positive that it's impossible to retrieve.

Sorry. =(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Yeah I don't know how you could possibly get to it now. If she copy and pasted anything from the document, then it may be in the clipboard in MS word (should be under "Edit" then "Office Clipboard", depending on the version you have), but that would only give you bits of what she had written and it would only work if she so happened to be copying/pasting stuff for some reason.

Some times MS word autosaves, and if you don't know where it would be autosaving to, you can just click on "File" and there's a list of the most recently saved documents at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It would probably be called "Document 1" if she had never saved it before.

Otherwise, you're plum outta luck. The same thing has happened to me several times. It's quite frustrating.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

try kicking the computer, it usually works on all problems with them

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

If you exited the program in a normal fashion without saving, it's pretty much lost.

There may be a small chance office has saved a buffer file somewhere in the appdata folder. (C:/users/username/appdata/*).
    But I don't use office myself so I can't really help you direct to the right place there.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Yeah I don't know how you could possibly get to it now. If she copy and pasted anything from the document, then it may be in the clipboard in MS word (should be under "Edit" then "Office Clipboard", depending on the version you have), but that would only give you bits of what she had written and it would only work if she so happened to be copying/pasting stuff for some reason.

Some times MS word autosaves, and if you don't know where it would be autosaving to, you can just click on "File" and there's a list of the most recently saved documents at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It would probably be called "Document 1" if she had never saved it before.

Otherwise, you're plum outta luck. The same thing has happened to me several times. It's quite frustrating.
    Bolded is your best bet. Fluffywolf's suggestion could also be a possibility. It sounds like you have Vista, I skipped that one so I'm not positive on its file structure compared to XP. I'd open windows explorer and check C:/Windows/Temp. The temp file could still be there. If you've restarted the computer, its more than likely gone though.

Before hunting, go to Tools in windows explorer. Open 'folder options'. check 'show hidden files and folders' then uncheck 'hide extensions of known file types'. These instructions are for XP, but they should transfer to Vista, may look a little different though. You'll be looking in the temp folder and the one Fluffy mentioned for files ending with a .pptx or .ppt extension. I'd also suggest changing those folder viewing options back after you're done.

That's the only other thing I can possibly think of. Good luck.
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Have her in the future make sure that she gets into the habit of pressing control+S every few minutes or so to save her documents. It only takes a split second, and it ensures that if anything happens, whether a power outage or an accidentally closed document, she'll retain all but a minute of her hard work.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Thanks guys - no luck, but I appreciate your help!

MBTI
    ENTP

Check the keylogger your Dad installed.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    We have whatever thing comes between Windows XP and the most current edition.
    lol