User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default "Have a good evening sir/ma'am"

Am I the only one irritated by this cliche phrase used for a farewell? I have worked in retail so I won't lie and say I haven't used it/don't use it from time to time but still it irritates me. Maybe because it's often said insincerely? It's like following the motions.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

that's why I say "enjoy your booze" to many of my customers!

I also say "have a nice evening" but I usually mean it- when I don't mean it it's said in a sarcastic manner, so that the customer will have no doubt that I hate them!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    that's why I say "enjoy your booze" to many of my customers!

I also say "have a nice evening" but I usually mean it- when I don't mean it it's said in a sarcastic manner, so that the customer will have no doubt that I hate them!

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Having to check for insincerity/sarcasm sucks.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Am I the only one irritated by this cliche phrase used for a farewell? I have worked in retail so I won't lie and say I haven't used it/don't use it from time to time but still it irritates me. Maybe because it's often said insincerely? It's like following the motions.
    Dear Hound

I say immigration. Damn Yankees.
    In 1866 the land was cheap in NC.

When a true Southern Belle bids good evening to a Sir .. she means it.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

In my case, I mean it when I say it. I do appreciate it when I feel the person being sincere.

And I can see when the person's being insincere. I don't find it very bothersome, as there are bigger superficialities. ;)
    If I find that I am somehow offended by the insincerity, though, that probably has more to do with me than the gesture itself.
    Not really.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

But if you really do mean it... it shows, and it makes the customer darn happy.

MBTI
    INTP

/shrug

i was always told just to say that boilerplate stuff, "please, thank you, yes sir, no sir, yes ma'am, no ma'am, etc..." from what i understand it's mostly said cause it's expected and not necessarily cause you mean it. such is the life growing up in an SJ household.

anyways, about the "have a good evening" farewell specifically... i think being aggrivated over people not being sincere when saying it is like being mad cause the sun burns your eyes when you stare directly at it. when it's absent you miss it but when you look at it a certain way you don't like what you see.

and how can you tell when someone means it sincerely anyways. whether they smile or not? if they do a funny thing w/ their eyebrows too? if they have tears in their eyes while saying it? all that can be faked. if the person theyre saying it to believes them does it make it real. if it is in fact real but the person doesn't believe it to be real, does it have less value. if someone doesn't say it because they don't sincerely feel it, does that make them a honest person or a rude person. a lot depends on your point of view.

if its the sheer unoriginality of the phrase as a farewell then others work just as well. i'm all for originality.

anyways, back to work.

MBTI
    INTJ

I just accept it as what we say in order to be polite to each other.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The phrase itself doesn't bother me, even if the person doesn't mean it. It usually means a lot less to me personally than a phrase that's less cliche, but I'll gladly accept it because I know what it's supposed to express.

But honestly, much of the time it means little more to me than putting "return 0;" at the end of a C program.