User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 11

  1. #1
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default "Have a good evening sir/ma'am"

    Am I the only one irritated by this cliche phrase used for a farewell? I have worked in retail so I won't lie and say I haven't used it/don't use it from time to time but still it irritates me. Maybe because it's often said insincerely? It's like following the motions.

  2. #2
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    that's why I say "enjoy your booze" to many of my customers!

    I also say "have a nice evening" but I usually mean it- when I don't mean it it's said in a sarcastic manner, so that the customer will have no doubt that I hate them!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  3. #3
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    that's why I say "enjoy your booze" to many of my customers!

    I also say "have a nice evening" but I usually mean it- when I don't mean it it's said in a sarcastic manner, so that the customer will have no doubt that I hate them!

  4. #4
    Senior Member niffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,219

    Default

    Having to check for insincerity/sarcasm sucks.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

  5. #5
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Am I the only one irritated by this cliche phrase used for a farewell? I have worked in retail so I won't lie and say I haven't used it/don't use it from time to time but still it irritates me. Maybe because it's often said insincerely? It's like following the motions.
    Dear Hound

    I say immigration. Damn Yankees.
    In 1866 the land was cheap in NC.

    When a true Southern Belle bids good evening to a Sir .. she means it.

  6. #6
    Enigma Nadir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    4
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    544

    Default

    In my case, I mean it when I say it. I do appreciate it when I feel the person being sincere.

    And I can see when the person's being insincere. I don't find it very bothersome, as there are bigger superficialities. ;)
    If I find that I am somehow offended by the insincerity, though, that probably has more to do with me than the gesture itself.
    Not really.

  7. #7
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    But if you really do mean it... it shows, and it makes the customer darn happy.

  8. #8
    Senior Member miked277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Am I the only one irritated by this cliche phrase used for a farewell? I have worked in retail so I won't lie and say I haven't used it/don't use it from time to time but still it irritates me. Maybe because it's often said insincerely? It's like following the motions.
    /shrug

    i was always told just to say that boilerplate stuff, "please, thank you, yes sir, no sir, yes ma'am, no ma'am, etc..." from what i understand it's mostly said cause it's expected and not necessarily cause you mean it. such is the life growing up in an SJ household.

    anyways, about the "have a good evening" farewell specifically... i think being aggrivated over people not being sincere when saying it is like being mad cause the sun burns your eyes when you stare directly at it. when it's absent you miss it but when you look at it a certain way you don't like what you see.

    and how can you tell when someone means it sincerely anyways. whether they smile or not? if they do a funny thing w/ their eyebrows too? if they have tears in their eyes while saying it? all that can be faked. if the person theyre saying it to believes them does it make it real. if it is in fact real but the person doesn't believe it to be real, does it have less value. if someone doesn't say it because they don't sincerely feel it, does that make them a honest person or a rude person. a lot depends on your point of view.

    if its the sheer unoriginality of the phrase as a farewell then others work just as well. i'm all for originality.

    anyways, back to work.

  9. #9
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Am I the only one irritated by this cliche phrase used for a farewell? I have worked in retail so I won't lie and say I haven't used it/don't use it from time to time but still it irritates me. Maybe because it's often said insincerely? It's like following the motions.
    I just accept it as what we say in order to be polite to each other.

  10. #10
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Am I the only one irritated by this cliche phrase used for a farewell? I have worked in retail so I won't lie and say I haven't used it/don't use it from time to time but still it irritates me. Maybe because it's often said insincerely? It's like following the motions.
    The phrase itself doesn't bother me, even if the person doesn't mean it. It usually means a lot less to me personally than a phrase that's less cliche, but I'll gladly accept it because I know what it's supposed to express.

    But honestly, much of the time it means little more to me than putting "return 0;" at the end of a C program.

Similar Threads

  1. Why I think Libertarians having a good showing this election year is a good thing
    By ygolo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 01:32 PM
  2. It's "Miss" not "Ma'am"...grrr.
    By Sparrow in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 02:00 PM
  3. Anyone have any good recipes using saffron?
    By cascadeco in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 12:47 PM
  4. Good evening bastards.
    By Darjur in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 05:14 PM
  5. Good evening
    By KatrinaB in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 12:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO