User Tag List

12 Last

Ginkgo

Default What Constitutes 'Boiling'?

K so I'm trying to make macaroni but I'm not positive about what boiling water actually is. When it bubbles like it's carbonated, lightly around the edges, is this boiling? When it's foaming like some primordial goop with massive swamp tar, is that boiling? When do I start to put the macaroni in? What happens if I put the macaroni in prior to the starting of boiling? Or If I put it all in at the same time? What if I put the cheese in before it tells me? If I put mexican seasoning in, will that make it less likely to burn? I'm confused.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Mac n cheese will still turn out even if you put the mac in at the start. It just takes a lot longer and sometimes has the potential to kind of soften in the process so it's mushier. If you are waiting till the water is boiling, I'd wait till it's bubbling a bit in the middle before tossing the pasta in.

If you put in the cheese before it tells you, it will be watery cheese! The milk and butter amounts are optional and I usually major on the milk instead of the butter, but that's just me. You can make it as soupy or as dry as you like it. I like it a little creamier, but not so much milk that it dilutes the cheesiness of the cheese powder. What's great is if you get extra cheese powder and then you can do whatever you want! (they sell it in bulk). You can put the cheese in before or after the butter and milk, as you like, but since you are putting the now drained noodles onto a still hot burner (you should turn the burner down after you've drained the noodles), you may want to remember that unless there's some liquid there, it's going to start burning onto the bottom of the pot and be more difficult to clean. That's why I usually start with the milk and butter.

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

Water is boiling when it starts bubbling like mad. Like the lava you see in cartoons.

It´s better to put the macaroni minutes before it starts boiling.

Here´s a recipe which includes directions:

Four Cheese Macaroni Recipe - Allrecipes.com

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

mk...Mac Cheese 101 the "boxed kind"

Boiling water is bubbly and steamy. Stove top should be at least Medium High. You only want to use "High" for 18/10 Stainless steel. Otherwise you'll ruin an annodized or non-stick pan.

Boil your Mac as the box instructs.

Dump your Mac when it's cooked into a stainer.

At this point I typically move the pot to a side burner and put one or two tablespoons of real butter in the bottom.

Put the Mac on top of the butter which helps the butter melt. Put in the cheese pack, put in the milk. I usually add one slice of American Cheese. Then pepper the crap out of it.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Mac n cheese will still turn out even if you put the mac in at the start. It just takes a lot longer and sometimes has the potential to kind of soften in the process so it's mushier. If you are waiting till the water is boiling, I'd wait till it's bubbling a bit in the middle before tossing the pasta in.

If you put in the cheese before it tells you, it will be watery cheese! The milk and butter amounts are optional and I usually major on the milk instead of the butter, but that's just me. You can make it as soupy or as dry as you like it. I like it a little creamier, but not so much milk that it dilutes the cheesiness of the cheese powder. What's great is if you get extra cheese powder and then you can do whatever you want! (they sell it in bulk). You can put the cheese in before or after the butter and milk, as you like, but since you are putting the now drained noodles onto a still hot burner (you should turn the burner down after you've drained the noodles), you may want to remember that unless there's some liquid there, it's going to start burning onto the bottom of the pot and be more difficult to clean. That's why I usually start with the milk and butter.
    Thank you! It was much easier than I thought. Eventually it started foaming like white water, but it turned out derricious. Try this next time.

Morton & Bassett Mexican Spice Blend, 2-Ounce Jars (Pack of 3): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet…

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I just wait until the water is hot and there are a few bubbles in it, then drop in the pasta. Then I test it every few minutes after ~8 minutes to see if it's ready. No boiling needed, really.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Mmm, I like the Mexican idea. Pepper and lots of parmesan or else a bit of duqqa spice is really good too.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

It depends on your altitude, dude.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Oh sweetheart... i can see where we're headed
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Keep practicing that cookin', Tater, you'll get there eventually!
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...