123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Does This Forum Teach Us How To Think?

That is, by observing the thought process in others and by better understanding cognitive functions, do we gain a better appreciation for different styles of thinking and the unique value and perspective from those styles?

Here is an example. I've worked with a lot of INTPs. One of the things that I've noticed is they are often gifted in their ability to comprehend complexity and details. However, on this Forum, I've noticed more of what goes on behind the scenes in the thought process. I've come to better understand, for those with strong Ti (like INTP/ENTP), the richness and depth of their thinking. I've noticed how their thought process is different than my own and some of the potential strengths as well as the potential limitations.

Ti is just one obvious example (of thinking). I see different things in those who are strong on Ni+Fe, Ne+Fi, Si+Fe, etc.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious but by knowing what type people are and seeing how they interact on the forum, I feel like I'm understanding some things in a new light.

Any perspectives on this? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

ThatGirl

The only thing this forum has taught me to understand are the cartooned versions of what people believe are the most misunderstood aspects of their personalities.....often the negative ones. (Island of the Misfit Toys)

[YOUTUBE="5SH1j1luFOw"]Type C[/YOUTUBE]

I mostly come here for the non type related conversation.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I agree with you If people share their MBTI Type or Socionics Type or other information it allows me to see not only how they "think" but also how they "feel" in both negative and positive ways. This gives me better perspectives from which to teach and shows me both triggers to use and to avoid.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Ginkgo

I think that typology has helped me, in some ways, see that different people think in different ways. However, it was more of a compliment to an opinion that I already held in the first place, and will always hold. I don't think it exemplifies everything there is to know about the human psyche.

Did you realize this before or after learning about typology? I think, from the time I was very young, I could grasp the fact that people held different strengths and weaknesses. If everyone were to think and feel in the exact same ways, we would have no drama or discourse. There would be no Motley Crew, where each member of the team implements his/her own special niche. I don't need Typology for something that Power Rangers could teach me, although typology offers a new way of understanding how different people operate.

Glycerine

IMO, it just gives us one perspective but doesn't really teach us to think.

I've learnt a lot about circular reasoning, human behaviour in a somewhat anonymous environment. Type wise I have learnt a lot about the different drives. Especially between SP types but other types too. I think the way in which people are directing their attention, orientation, when I finally got that, that really helped in understanding others. Something like that anyway.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    IMO, it just gives us one perspective but doesn't really teach us to think.
    Having the understanding that it IS a perspective is in itself causing you to think/consider reflectively. Like a good debate, anything that allows me to look at a concept or opinion through different eyes enriches my thinking and understanding.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    If everyone were to think and feel in the exact same ways, we would have no drama or discourse. There would be no Motley Crew, where each member of the team implements his/her own special niche. I don't need Typology for something that Power Rangers could teach me, although typology offers a new way of understanding how different people operate.
    Life would indeed be boring for those of us into novelty
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Life would indeed be boring for those of us into novelty
    Everyone would be grey blobs.

I feel I learnt a lot by paying attention to peoples style. Much more than from the content of posts.