First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I think that typology has helped me, in some ways, see that different people think in different ways. However, it was more of a compliment to an opinion that I already held in the first place, and will always hold. I don't think it exemplifies everything there is to know about the human psyche.

Did you realize this before or after learning about typology? I think, from the time I was very young, I could grasp the fact that people held different strengths and weaknesses. If everyone were to think and feel in the exact same ways, we would have no drama or discourse. There would be no Motley Crew, where each member of the team implements his/her own special niche. I don't need Typology for something that Power Rangers could teach me, although typology offers a new way of understanding how different people operate.
    Yeah - understood this before typology on some level but many people were simply a mystery to me. I got into this initially because I was having difficulty understanding one particular person and it was a real issue. MBTI helped put some "meat on the bones" in terms of being able to understand how certain people were different so I could be more accepting of and appreciative of the differences. Understanding cognitive processes and seeing how people interact on this forum has added greater depth of understanding though. For example - to see two INTPs arguing with each other or an INTP and an ENTP - you begin to better understand how their minds work.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    IMO, it just gives us one perspective but doesn't really teach us to think.
    I'm having a hard time explaining this. By understanding the functions, we understand people's preferences related to their thought processes. They are all valid. There are situations where some are more applicable than others. There are situations where a particular combination is suited for a particular purpose. It has something to do with that.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Having the understanding that it IS a perspective is in itself causing you to think/consider reflectively. Like a good debate, anything that allows me to look at a concept or opinion through different eyes enriches my thinking and understanding.
    hahahaha, oops. I saw it as completely changing the way we think. Based on my flawed premise, my thoughts were that MBTI has just given me one perspective out of many different perspectives I consider.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I'm having a hard time explaining this. By understanding the functions, we understand people's preferences related to their thought processes. They are all valid. There are situations where some are more applicable than others. There are situations where a particular combination is suited for a particular purpose. It has something to do with that.
    Ahhh ok. I misinterpreted/ misunderstood your point. Now, I gotcha. MBTI has taught me how to think by considering the possible underlying reasons behind people's behavior. However, that's not the only perspective I ponder when making assessments of people.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I find types seeming more stereotypical online - for instance, many SPs I know in person display more depth at times. Not to imply that the SPs here are shallow, but I suppose that is something they reserve for certain people, just I tend to reserve my more playful side for certain people.

I think this site shows me more of what a type looks like on the surface than what they are like up close.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I feel I learnt a lot by paying attention to peoples style. Much more than from the content of posts.
    This also.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Thumbs down The Flower of Ressentiment

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Any perspectives on this? Good? Bad? Indifferent?
    Socrates taught us how to think two and a half thousand year ago. But today MBTI teaches us what to think.

But worse MBTI is part of the reaction against the Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th Centuries.

So MBTI is the enemy of Western philosophy from the very beginning two and half thousand years ago.

And MBTI is the enemy of the modern world - modern medicine, science, psychology and even liberal democracy.

MBTI is based on hatred of Western philosophy and the modern world.

MBTI is the flower of ressentiment.

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

By understanding typology and cognitive processes I didn´t learn to think. But I discovered the reasons behind the way I think.

And it has proven helpful to understand other people, as well.

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    The only thing this forum has taught me to understand are the cartooned versions of what people believe are the most misunderstood aspects of their personalities.....often the negative ones. (Island of the Misfit Toys)

[YOUTUBE="5SH1j1luFOw"]Type C[/YOUTUBE]

I mostly come here for the non type related conversation.
    Are you saying we are like the island of misfit toys?

I have great memories of that movie

Tri-type 639

Ginkgo

Is the title of this thread an allusion to the thought police or something? lol.

Does This Forum Teach Us How To Think?
    Yes. It helps makes problems much more clear, while appreciating the limitations and psychologically hindering effects of trying to use typology to avoid fear of the unknowns of human interaction, by allowing you to eventually grow past it.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

No. It encourages one to take shortcuts, which is the opposite of free thought. As soon as you start make assumptions based on type, you have stopped really thinking for yourself...