User Tag List

12 Last

Default have you thought about joining the Peace Corps?

I had been looking into the Peace Corps recently. I think it may work for me and be in line with my goals of personal development. what has your experience been like with the Peace Corps?

Yeah, actually! In my senior year of high school, ie last year, I was pretty set on it. I still entertain the idea.

One of my most beloved teachers I found out had been in the Peace Corps. He said it was the event that really forced him to be independent, I think. He also met his wife while he was in it, and he has two daughters with her. Loved that guy. Really balanced person. Clever, funny, cool. He was my debate/world issues teacher. I could go on about him.

But yeah, I'm still interested in the Peace Corps.

MBTI
    OMNi

I've thought about it and would love to join. The problem I have is that I have several thousands in student loans I have to pay off once I graduate.

Hmm. I was so serious about the Peace Corps I did some research on their site. From what I remember, paying back your loans can be put on hold while you're in the Corps, and they may even pay up to 15% of your loans. (I can't remember.) I'll have to look at their site again.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I considered it quite heavily but they won't let me take my dog

I did other international volunteer work instead
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    Hmm. I was so serious about the Peace Corps I did some research on their site. From what I remember, paying back your loans can be put on hold while you're in the Corps, and they may even pay up to 15% of your loans. (I can't remember.) I'll have to look at their site again.
    This is correct...
    Financial Benefits and Loan Deferment | Why Should I Volunteer | Learn About Peace Corps | Peace Corps

Volunteers may defer repayment of student loans under several federal programs, i.e., Stafford ...

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I considered it quite heavily but they won't let me take my dog

I did other international volunteer work instead
    What other kind of international volunteer work?

Damn it, it's the Perkins loans...

Yeah, Whatever, I'm interested in hearing about it as well. I love my cat and wouldn't want to leave her, either.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I taught english in Brazil at a parochial school and stayed in a convent! (yes- laugh all you want at that!)

I'm not even catholic!

one of the nuns was a family friend who'd been there for 40 years- I think I talked about the experience a bit here if you are interested http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...traveling.html
    Last edited by miss fortune; 12-27-2007 at 12:21 PM.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by file cabinet View Post
    I had been looking into the Peace Corps recently. I think it may work for me and be in line with my goals of personal development. what has your experience been like with the Peace Corps?
    If you're willing to travel and take a few risks, helping people makes you feel good, and you're willing to commit yourself to something, it may be for you. I wouldn't do it personally because I'm worried it would demand more of me that I was willing to give, especially since I'm uncomfortable with travel. Although I would consider volunteering in my local community for a while after I became established. That seems a little easier.

I'm probably not much help since I've only looked at it a bit, and haven't told you anything you couldn't have guessed.