User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Ginkgo

*double post because of lag*

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    That is the ANTITHESIS of oppression, or 'drowning out'. Unless you just want to see something the same way, the only way, and be confined by orthodoxy, then this should not be an issue for you. But that's your own problem.
    Actually by throwing up many different impressions and possibilities(especially those w/little probability) it can be seen as "drowning", and particularly hindering any attempts to achieve greater depth in understanding the situation at hand. Of course depth is more a Ni thing I guess.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Actually by throwing up many different impressions and possibilities(especially those w/little probability) it can be seen as "drowning", and particularly hindering any attempts to achieve greater depth in understanding the situation at hand. Of course depth is more a Ni thing I guess.

When Ne derails out of the Ni box, does it feel like it detracts from the substance that could be explored in depth about a certain topic? Like, for instance, if you told me that money is subject to inflation or deflation, and then I related that to every other thing floating around in the market, would it feel like I'm sucking the life out of whatever point you're trying to make? Or does it matter?

Sniffles

Yes I often get that impression from discussing Ne-doms, where discussions get "derailed" before anything of real substance has been discussed on the original topic, which often can get irritating and seem like a waste of time. Now I'm not at all opposed to looking at different perspectives or connecting seemingly random issues to each other, as a Ni-dom I do that all the time. However, there's still an overall focus to a particular theme, since each element of what we're talking about is often an entire discussion in of itself.

Ginkgo

Yes I often get that impression from discussing Ne-doms, where discussions get "derailed" before anything of real substance has been discussed on the original topic, which often can get irritating and seem like a waste of time. Now I'm not at all opposed to looking at different perspectives or connecting seemingly random issues to each other, as a Ni-dom I do that all the time. However, there's still an overall focus to a particular theme, since each element of what we're talking about is often an entire discussion in of itself.
    So like, let's say we were at the supermarket and you had the shopping cart, and then i started aimlessly wondering as if in a daze, similar to how our conversation dynamics would occur, would you get angry because I'm not focused on seeking closure in buying your beloved Oscar Meyer fun snacks? Have you every thought about developing a shock leash for Ne oriented people because they spiral in different directions like dis-focused fighter jets?

Sniffles

Using your example of purchasing Oscar Meyer fun snack; I guess a Ne-dom could ask me if I wanted to purchase some, and I would say no. To which the Ne-dom asks me why, and I give a rough outline why I don't want it. Then the Ne-dom persistently keeps trying to convince me to buy the Oscar Meyer fun snack, coming up with different justifications, a new one everytime I say no and give some answer to each reason. From my point of view, it's more than clear that I don't want to buy the Oscar Meyer snake, and having to constantly to answer various different reasons why I don't want to seems rather unnecessary not to mention really really really really annoying; and has the effect of me not wanting to buy the Oscar Meyer fun snack even more(which is the opposite effect the Ne-dom is striving for).

In the time we spent talking about why I don't want to buy the Oscar Meyer fun snack, we could've been looking at other stuff to buy. But no, we're still discussing the Oscar Meyer fun snack, along with other stuff I'm not interested in either. Example:"Oscar Meyer fun snack tastes good with X,Y,Z." I don't care about XYZ, or even if I do I don't see how that changes the fact I still don't want the Oscar Meyer fun snack - even with XYZ!

Do you get what I'm trying to say?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Using your example of purchasing Oscar Meyer fun snack; I guess a Ne-dom could ask me if I wanted to purchase some, and I would say no. To which the Ne-dom asks me why, and I give a rough outline why I don't want it. Then the Ne-dom persistently keeps trying to convince me to buy the Oscar Meyer fun snack, coming up with different justifications, a new one everytime I say no and give some answer to each reason. From my point of view, it's more than clear that I don't want to buy the Oscar Meyer snake, and having to constantly to answer various different reasons why I don't want to seems rather unnecessary not to mention really really really really annoying; and has the effect of me not wanting to buy the Oscar Meyer fun snack even more(which is the opposite effect the Ne-dom is striving for).

In the time we spent talking about why I don't want to buy the Oscar Meyer fun snack, we could've been looking at other stuff to buy. But no, we're still discussing the Oscar Meyer fun snack, along with other stuff I'm not interested in either. Example:"Oscar Meyer fun snack tastes good with X,Y,Z." I don't care about XYZ, or even if I do I don't see how that changes the fact I still don't want the Oscar Meyer fun snack - even with XYZ!

+1

So true. And we know it, on some level, yet we can't stop. We know that someone telling us that they don't want an Oscar Meyer fun snack really does mean that they don't want an Oscar Meyer fun snack. We've learned that through past social interactions revolving around similar scenarios, but that doesn't really matter to Ne.

Ne just won't accept the fact that Ne can't always change things. Past experience, showing that Ne doesn't work in that past situation, isn't enough evidence for an Ne dom to accept that Ne's approach won't work in a new situation that's similar to the past one. Ne doesn't learn from its mistakes. It's a rough cycle.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post

I don't see many, or any, IxFPs battling it out with ExFJs.... If anything, Fi has been a target for negative criticism on this messageboard, possibly only second to Si which gets regular digs. Yes, Fe has been criticized too, but Feeling in general gets more criticism than Thinking.

This boards has always felt NT heavy to me, probably because it's related to INTPc (as mentioned). And yes, it feels NP heavy also, and INXX heavy. The only Ns it seems to have less of are ENxJs. And I think after INFPgc closed down, even more INFPs migrated here.
    I'm going to agree with you. Fi is bashed to the point that those of us with it are almost made to feel ashamed of who we are, like there's something wrong with being Fi dom or aux. I would say it is definitely the next most bashed function after Si.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    the potato