User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default Why do you choose not to list/disclose your type?

One of the things that I found useful here when I first arrived was discovering which types I naturally and easily interacted with and which I had to work harder to understand or be understood by. Sometimes it was even useful when someone I had corresponded with decided they were mistyped as well, as I had to rethink some of my preconceived ideas about their previous type.

I understand that some people are not sure enough of their type, don't want to be analyzed, don't really believe enough in the validity of one particular typing system and so on.

I am wondering though - Are there people that feel strongly about not disclosing? Why is that? What advantages do you feel that has in your interactions on here? What disadvantages do you feel there are in saying what type you are? Do you feel it actually has a negative impact on your interactions by choosing to include that information?

I'm not judging either way. Just am curious to understand the thought process behind and see if there's something that I haven't previous considered.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    One of the things that I found useful here when I first arrived was discovering which types I naturally and easily interacted with and which I had to work harder to understand or be understood by.
    So what were your conclusions or observations?

To answer your question. The type I have is best fit and really I feel I have a much more malleable personality - I can be other types close to INFP.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Filtered through the lens of my experiences so far (and by far not an expression of the quintessential truth about all types, but rather my perceptions...), my conclusions/observations were:

1) Fi unexpectedly trips me up when I least expect it and there seem to be different tripwires with all Fi users. Other Fi users see it coming, but I don't.

2) Fi users have different ways of showing they care, which are just as valid as mine. However, if I am looking for them to be pushy and ask me questions I need to say so because they are likely to think they are respecting my privacy until I choose to disclose. They also might need reaction time to anything I do tell them. I typically don't feel as personally impacted when someone tells me something, even if I am interested, involved and feel empathy for them.

3) Fi users tend to see the nuances of emotions more than I do and want them to be accurately expressed if they express them. My Ti makes me more that way about my thoughts and reticent to express them until I have them nuanced and precise.

4) I find ENTPs interesting, even though they are sometimes can come off as obnoxious to some people. They are more outspoken than me and have a different take than me on the same thing, but have enough common elements that I feel comfortable mostly. They like messing with people to see how they will react. Sometimes I find it hard to know when they're doing that though until I get to know them better. They're generally thoughtful listeners. I'm not sure that I'd want to get together with one. I think they might be a risk in the long term, although I don't know that. Probably depends on maturity. Women ENTPs would eat men INTPs alive. NT women generally seem more capable of separating love/emotion from sex or of seeing them as separate entities. ENTPs seem likely to be adventurous sexually and if they are young, might be a risk for cheating. (Gross generalization). I think they might get itchy feet easily when they're younger. ENTPs seem to make a lot of career changes because of their shifting interests. However, unlike some NFs, it is less about indecisiveness and more about them exhausting the things to learn that they feel a particular field has to offer and needing more stimulation. ENTPs and ENFPs have more in common than I had previously thought.

5) ENFPs tend to be the most outspoken about sex. Some are drama queens. They generally are good-hearted though and care deeply about other people. Seems like the ones I know have often been hurt by circumstances they grew up in. There is quite a wide range of diversity in the ENFPs that I have met.

6) ESTPs are very decisive, straightforward, call people out when they think something's not right, are mostly optimistic and willing to think the best of people, are incredibly resourceful and collect skills like nobody's business. They're the person to go to if you're wondering who you should contact about something or need practical information. They also are enthusiastic about food. And sex. They seem to know everyone and are not stingy about giving praise where they feel it's due. They are pretty enthusiastic about lovin' the one they're with. They're a bit like border collies though - excellent forces for good when kept busy, could have the house torn to pieces if left with nothing productive to do. They have a million irons in the fire. They also all seem to share a small emoticon obsession.

7) I like INTJ and INFP subtle humour the best. Both types can be extremely witty. Initially I found INTP humour offensive or hard to read. Now I'm fine with it.

8) ESTJs all seem to share a huge enthusiasm for food and getting the ones they care about to try new things. They are great at acquiring skills as well and are generally very competent and reliable. While they can be blunt, EJCC has proved that you can still be true to type and yet develop other functions that temper it. ESTJs are great at writing succinct, yet content filled posts/other documents. Unlike me. ESTJs stick with decisions once they have made them, and they are pretty quick about taking action on making decisions. They're a good bet for a faithful partner I think.

9) INTPs would be interesting friends for me to have, but I think it would be a disaster if I were to marry one. I need too much reassurance and I like sharing my day too much and they'd hate it after awhile. On the other hand, everyone should be so lucky as to have friends like Jennifer or Tallulah. (Okay, Jock's pretty cool too). Crap, now I've probably missed a bunch of people. Well, too bad - you know who you are!

10) INFPs seem to either really click well with me, or really not. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground. When things are going badly for them, they are more proactive than it may appear to those who are looking on. I've found they tend to turtle in the form of watching movies, immersing themselves in a video game, read etc when they need time to think (or maybe take a break from thinking?). They usually have thought things out much more than they express, so others offer over simplistic advice. They also seem to need to rebuild things from the ground up when they are changing something in their life. They don't tend to want to just modify the existing structure. They are hard to get the inside track on, but I think it is only because they are afraid of the amount of intensity they know is inside scaring people off. They are pretty hands off normally, but once you're in the inner, inner circle, they are surprisingly super affectionate.

11) There are more flavours of INFJs than I had realized. I think maybe I have more Fe and less Ni, but still am not an ENFJ. I identify with many INFJs here, but I think I'm less private and need less time alone.

12) I like INTJs. I never knew enough of them before to know that. They think like me, but differently. Guess it's the Ni.

13) My ENTJ uncle is very true to type.

14) Fe can feel invasive to Fi users. It also might seem false to them if Fe users show some but not all/most emotion. Fi seems more all or nothing.

15) None of us are fated to the downsides of our type. There are wonderful examples of many mature people of a certain type who have learned to harness the good things about their type and then temper the other things with added qualities they have acquired.

16) I like ISFPs.

17) Most E _ _ Js seem to get a bad rap.

18) ENFJs are the most introverted E type that I have had much to do with so far. And also, there aren't enough of them.

19) Alright, here's an edit for Raz. The ISTJs I've encountered so far (including my dad) seem to prefer to keep most things in their lives in the top secret file and only let it out on an absolutely need to know basis. This is totally foreign to me because I want to be known and understood by the people close to me, even if I do it incrimentally. ISTJs I know tend to be very service-oriented and helpful. They are practical people. And seem to want to get the business of selecting a partner out of the way, but are very devoted.

I realized that the same action may be motivated by completely different things, depending on the type doing it. Similarly, the same action could be perceived very differently depending upon the type of the person watching it. Therefore, that needs to be factored into the equation before reacting.

Different types may not be defined by certain negative behaviours. However, if they are unhealthy, each type seems to have particular behaviours or ways of reacting that are more likely for them to adopt.

I've learned that by just dropping something, the issue is diffused much sooner than trying to publicly address it (and derail the thread with a personal spat). I've also observed that I could learn from the way the that some types use humour to diffuse a situation. That's not something that would naturally occur to me to do.

I always thought that if people talked out their problems and laid them out on the table, a resolution could be found. I discovered that some Fi types don't want to do that, nor do they find it productive. That surprised me and I finally had to learn to better adjust my communication style (although I still forget often and keep trying!).
    Last edited by fidelia; 06-17-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    Likes Glados liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

that was a really well written interesting read fidelia.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Thanks, ma'am. What about you? Have you come away with impressions about types that you wouldn't otherwise have had except through interactions here and knowing what types certain people were?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

^ It seems like we INFP's have affected/impacted you miss Fidelia!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Everyone affects everyone else in some way, don't they?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Because everyone here will treat me like shit when they find out I'm a sensor.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Fidelia, I too got annoyed wiht people not listing their type, especially in the beginning as I was watching and catalogueing interactions. And, such as yourself, I too learned a lot that way.

I don't list my type these days (though it is in my sig if you look closely), as there's some dispute about it, and I kinda am done fighting about it
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

There's controversy? I didn't know that. I always had assumed you were correctly typed.