User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

You are correct about the in group-out group thing. It seems like the negative energy that is the flipside of positive attachment has to go somewhere. I wonder though if there is a way to just keep expanding the ingroup until it encompasses everyone.

I don't agree with ditching content in favour of harmony/community whether it is a religious organization, an association or a forum. On the other hand I realize that people can get lazy and generalize much too broadly or can become obsessed with focussing on differences. It seems to me though that there has to be an alternative solution rather than just saying it doesn't matter at all.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    ^ This.

When someone exemplifies a type and displays their type it is very helpful/useful, especially when you have questions regarding their type!

It annoys the crap out of me when someone has no type listed, or some other four letter word that's supposed to be quut, unless we know that individual like HappyPuppy is an ENFP and she's trying to be funny, but still.

If you know your type, and you are on A TYPOLOGY FORUM, for fucksake!!!!

List your goddamn type, please!!!!

For those that really wanna know, it's in my sig. It's not worth the head ache to list it though, sorry, sweety. As interesting as I find it to hear why people think me to be a certain type, it's sometimes not as fun when they repeatedly tell you you're misrepresenting the type you've got listed coz *that's not your type*, or have them get annoyed at the fact that you *still haven't decided and are using an x* while you're clearly *xxxx*. So..I'll opt to keep my BRAT
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    You are correct about the in group-out group thing. It seems like the negative energy that is the flipside of positive attachment has to go somewhere. I wonder though if there is a way to just keep expanding the ingroup until it encompasses everyone.

I don't agree with ditching content in favour of harmony/community whether it is a religious organization, an association or a forum. On the other hand I realize that people can get lazy and generalize much too broadly or can become obsessed with focussing on differences. It seems to me though that there has to be an alternative solution rather than just saying it doesn't matter at all.
    Sure there is. We've been doing it for thousands of years - it's as simple as making a genuine effort to get to know people.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I understand your reasoning and I have also interacted with you enough to have some idea of what your functions may be. I can understand how being told your type is wrong could get frustrating sometimes.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    For those that really wanna know, it's in my sig. It's not worth the head ache to list it though, sorry, sweety. As interesting as I find it to hear why people think me to be a certain type, it's sometimes not as fun when they repeatedly tell you you're misrepresenting the type you've got listed coz *that's not your type*, or have them get annoyed at the fact that you *still haven't decided and are using an x* while you're clearly *xxxx*. So..I'll opt to keep my BRAT
    fwiw,

I think you're both an NFP and a BRAT!

Kinda like me!

At least, my INTJ boyfriend seems to think so, (and secretly like it )
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Sure there is. We've been doing it for thousands of years - it's as simple as making a genuine effort to get to know people.
    So would you be against people listing type if the result was not overgeneralization or discrimination (in an ideal world!)? Or do you think that it is not realistic to hope for that in the majority, and therefore the content of what the site is about must be changed as a result?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    We're humans. We don't have the cognitive bandwidth to construct accurate models of understanding for everyone we come in contact with. As a result, we stereotype. For the most part, it works well enough.

The problem is when it works too well, or when the stereotype is based on inaccurate data. Racism's the prime example of the latter. The problems with typology are examples of the former. It's much easier for the brain to understand a framework based on a MBTI stereotype and apply it to that person than it is to develop a personal framework based on the information that person supplies. Likewise, it's much easier to assume that a person of the same type will be of like mind than to engage in respectful dialogue with others who may disagree with you. The problem is that this ends up in "team formation" that assumes certain parties will stick together against others, because humans naturally tend toward the formation of an ingroup-outgroup dialectic.

Typology is especially pernicious in this process, because it's just close enough to reality to provide a strong focal point for ingroup formation, a strong point of dispute with an outgroup, especially on disputes where no one is in essential disagreement.
    Of course one might suggest growing a set of balls and fighting that tendancy... in yourself and others- even if you feel that it's a losing battle... they're going to stereotype people here and in real life, you might as well put some effort into standing up for what you beleive for in a more meaningful way than just hiding behind some false letters

Really- I tend to see most people with other sets of letters down as either childish or chicken
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    So would you be against people listing type if the result was not overgeneralization or discrimination (in an ideal world!)? Or do you think that it is not realistic to hope for that in the majority, and therefore the content of what the site is about must be changed as a result?
    If I thought Myers and Briggs had gotten it 100% accurate, then having the types up would be worth the problems associated with them.

That being said, I don't think the content of the site has to be changed at all. We might have specifically joined because of type, but in reality, we're all united in a common interest - what makes up the vivid spectrum of the human experience. This is a multidisciplinary study encompassing a panoply of topics, discussions and relationships that is most certainly worthwhile.

Typology just gets us all in the door. Once we're in here, it's not nearly as important, IMO.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Of course one might suggest growing a set of balls and fighting that tendancy... in yourself and others- even if you feel that it's a losing battle... they're going to stereotype people here and in real life, you might as well put some effort into standing up for what you beleive for in a more meaningful way than just hiding behind some false letters

Really- I tend to see most people with other sets of letters down as either childish or chicken
    Fighting a losing battle might be noble, but in the end, it's exhausting. I'd rather accept my personal limitations and embrace my personal strengths toward accomplishing my personal goals.

And when I had my type up, I was hiding behind false letters.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I am very fucking serious .. Lol.

I am aware i am not like yourself an ENF .. I just have different strengths.
    well yeeeeah of course...everyone does...wtbh the esfj women i know are all kinds of awesome...you know i recently had to take a personality type test for a job...and i did my best to come out esfj because i knew that would be ideal for that job haha how screwed up is that!!?? imagine having to pretend to be another type to get a job!!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison