User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

of course then there's the question... if you want to show that all people of the same type AREN'T the same wouldn't you make the point better by just putting your type down than by NOT putting a type down?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    ^ This.

When someone exemplifies a type and displays their type it is very helpful/useful, especially when you have questions regarding their type!

It annoys the crap out of me when someone has no type listed, or some other four letter word that's supposed to be quut, unless we know that individual like HappyPuppy is an ENFP and she's trying to be funny, but still.

If you know your type, and you are on A TYPOLOGY FORUM, for fucksake!!!!

List your goddamn type, please!!!!
    It might be typology that brought us here, but I can assure you that it's not what keeps many of us around. It's the interesting people.

I'd say the 'quut' four-letter words reveal far more about that person's nature than a four-letter code.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Even then, shouldn't we simply be doing that by merit of them being another human with unique perspectives and experiences, rather than as representative of a putative type? I guess I'm just more inclined toward holism than categorization upon subcategorization.
    In general, I totally agree with you, hence my not really caring about functional analysis and what not.

I joined because of the community vibe, and the fact that I happened to be an ENFP.

But, since I personally, highly identify with the ENFP profile, I think it would be nice for others who identify with their type to list their type publicly.

And, if you don't identify with a type, are you doing here?

I like the community and I'm an ENFP, that's my reason/justification.

But those who are type-less, seriously, what are you doing here?

Weird, if you ask me.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Yep, y'all are just little ants in my farm. Anyone else want to join our colony?
    PICK ME PICK ME
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

That is the reason though why every field has areas of specialty. It's not that the whole is not important. However, to really understand something, someone needs to be able to categorize and classify according to similar or dissimilar traits. You can either start completely from scratch doing do, or someone who has access to more information (though it may be more subjective because they are closer up) may offer a shortcut. However, we all classify each other in some way when we talk: those who click with us or don't, those who agree/disagree with our beliefs or thought processes, those whose behaviours are more in common with ours, those who look like us or not, gender, style of dressing, etc. I see it as informative, rather than discriminatory, as long as the information doesn't interfere with the interaction.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It might be typology that brought us here, but I can assure you that it's not what keeps many of us around. It's the interesting people.
    I totally agree with this, but still, list your goddamn type, preeze.

Even if it is XXtp

iNtJ

or what have you.

List your type!!!
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

and as an added bonus, you can see who the prejudiced assholes are if you put your type down
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    That is the reason though why every field has areas of specialty. It's not that the whole is not important. However, to really understand something, someone needs to be able to categorize and classify according to similar or dissimilar traits. You can either start completely from scratch doing do, or someone who has access to more information (though it may be more subjective because they are closer up) may offer a shortcut. However, we all classify each other in some way when we talk: those who click with us or don't, those who agree/disagree with our beliefs or thought processes, those whose behaviours are more in common with ours, those who look like us or not, gender, style of dressing, etc. I see it as informative, rather than discriminatory, as long as the information doesn't interfere with the interaction.
    ABSOLUTELY!!!

Great post!!!

`

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    of course then there's the question... if you want to show that all people of the same type AREN'T the same wouldn't you make the point better by just putting your type down than by NOT putting a type down?
    We're humans. We don't have the cognitive bandwidth to construct accurate models of understanding for everyone we come in contact with. As a result, we stereotype. For the most part, it works well enough.

The problem is when it works too well, or when the stereotype is based on inaccurate data. Racism's the prime example of the latter. The problems with typology are examples of the former. It's much easier for the brain to understand a framework based on a MBTI stereotype and apply it to that person than it is to develop a personal framework based on the information that person supplies. Likewise, it's much easier to assume that a person of the same type will be of like mind than to engage in respectful dialogue with others who may disagree with you. The problem is that this ends up in "team formation" that assumes certain parties will stick together against others, because humans naturally tend toward the formation of an ingroup-outgroup dialectic.

Typology is especially pernicious in this process, because it's just close enough to reality to provide a strong focal point for ingroup formation, a strong point of dispute with an outgroup, especially on disputes where no one is in essential disagreement.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    In general, I totally agree with you, hence my not really caring about functional analysis and what not.

I joined because of the community vibe, and the fact that I happened to be an ENFP.

But, since I personally, highly identify with the ENFP profile, I think it would be nice for others who identify with their type to list their type publicly.

And, if you don't identify with a type, are you doing here?

I like the community and I'm an ENFP, that's my reason/justification.

But those who are type-less, seriously, what are you doing here?

Weird, if you ask me.
    Plenty of people go to church who don't believe in a god, because they believe the sense of community in the church is the fundamental truth. I think much of the same goes on here.