User Tag List

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Why do you choose not to list/disclose your type?

Permabanned Array
    9w1 sx/sp

Mine is no secret... though I suppose noobs might be confused.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Mine is no secret... though I suppose noobs might be confused.
    I think your type is self-explanatory.
    When all else fails, claim it's rigged.

Nips away your dignity Array Fluffywolf's Avatar
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I think your type is self-explanatory.
    You two would make a great pair.

Most people who know me here also know my type, but there is also a number who relabel me as one other than what I believe I am. So, I could encourage skepticism and curiosity by not listing my type, but even so, people will be skeptical and curious. I could list 'INFP', and try to break any preconceived notions of what my type is by being uniquely myself, but even if I do, there is no guarantee that I will be shifting any opinions. Not listing your type will never yield the desired result at all times, and neither will listing your type. While some people prod INFPs, and NFs as being sacks of emotional goop, and will treat them as such, there are others who actually enjoy them. A few people on here, a couple who I am particularly fond of, may have never been interested in me as an authentic person if I had not had that INFP label.

Case in point - regardless of what type you label yourself as, or whether you label yourself at all, you will attract both wanted and unwanted attention.

But - for my personal motivation for not listing my type, both now and in the past - I want to spite those who have some sort of typological impulse to type me. I honestly do. If they squander any deeper conversation they might have with me by filling it with vacuous typological nonsense, then I would be more than happy to just shrug them off. I don't like being confined if it's unwarranted, but if someone is giving me an assessment of myself, I will surely listen to them and attempt to understand them for the sake of improving both myself and my relationship with them. All accounts of all things deserve a lending ear. However, not typing myself begs a debate, so I'm definitely leaving myself open for the very thing I don't always enjoy. It keeps thing interesting, at least.

It seems like typology is so illusory... People have their slates of how they think certain people typically act, but someone of another type could fill that slate. Orienting oneself toward Si could make them look as if they are orienting toward Ni, and Ne with Se. This is why Jaguar and other members shave off any behavior with said description - because you're just relating one thing as causal of another, which is actually something (quite ironically) that Jung talked about with synchronicity. Certain functions can look like others, and certain descriptions can look like others. You can draw as many relationships as you like, and sometimes these can be helpful when understanding a person on an individual level. I know that, even though some people preach against typology, they still use it when they're interacting as a means of helping them.

I also think that enneagram is a good example of how different people can breach certain associations that are given to their types. Some people are just extremely atypical, for whatever reasons.

Goddamnit, I'm such an INFP lol.

Another problem rears its ugly head when people say they "prefer" certain types/functions or "disapprove" of certain types/functions. This is pure bullshit. If they don't like said person, they should say that instead of making a sweeping generalization. Earlier I was contemplating making a thread about "making positive distinctions about certain types", but that follows the same fallacious reasoning as negative distinctions.

Even what I said about "Ti being a landmine, and what Fidelia said about Fi being a trip wire" was only the result of interactions that took place with certain people, and because you associated them with certain functions, you created an assessment that may have nothing to do with those functions. If someone's sensitive about their feelings, that's the way it is. Like it or dislike it. If someone is extremely rationalistic, that's the way it is. Neither one is necessarily the product of Fi or Ti. There's no actual tool to be had in giving people typological assessments when you could just note their behavioral tendencies as they actually are. It's kind of superstitious. I mean, it's like how people used to assume that the sun was rising because some deity was suspending it. You don't need that superfluous description, as you already know that the sun rises. You may as well say that my behavior is the result of mystical gnomes who live in my inner ear cavity. So what? That extra explanation does nothing for you. However, gravity is something that can be proven in all cases, and as such, it has a universal utility that never changes. The same could not be said about typology.

9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    But is it really? Wasn't it really supposed to be just about understanding ourselves? The way we try and guess everyone elses type, I don't think the system was ever designed for that.
    That's why I said "if". I can see both uses as valid but the reason people are bothered by those who don't display their type seems to be because they want to observe people in a 4-letter box so they can understand patterns. Considering the amount of mistypes it's a rather inaccurate way of learning about other types.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Do you ever change your posting style based on the type you've listed?
    Can't really say. Sometimes I would (rarely) muster all my patience and post. And would edit and edit and edit again until no loop hole remains in the point I am making. but that requires too much typing stamina which I do not have (I am not the SolitaryWalker). Explain things I can. Type things I am not too patient.

Banned Array

I stopped listing mine quite recently.

The main reason is that I am just not sure of my type.
    If I don't know then why say I do?

I am sure I am in shadow function, still, and have been for quite sometime.

I am an extremly introverted E , I have moments of intuitive brilliance, But I think I Mostly just sense. I am objective to the point of confusing people who can't keep up. yet I am stubbornly subjective when it comes to myself.
    The 2 voices in my head are Obviously my P and J at war.. each has dominated at times in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    But is it really? Wasn't it really supposed to be just about understanding ourselves?
    Yeah, that's the way I look at it too. Our own type is the one we can be the most sure of, and even that can get confusing for some of us

While it's great to see a post that resonates with me and then to look left at the poster's type and see that he/she matches mine, it doesn't bother me at all if there is other things listed there.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Away with the fairies Array Southern Kross's Avatar
    4w5 so/sp

I'm so friggin depressed reading this thread. I've disliked the amount of prejudice levelled at sensors in general but its upsetting for me to hear that they get treated like idiots without opinions worth reading. I can't believe some of you have resorted to concealling your type to avoid this. :sad:

Worst of all this prejudice is entirely irrational seeing as most of the population are sensors. My whole immediate family, whom I love and admire, are sensors and so is 99% of my extended family. How f*cking stupid would it be for me to consider sensors ignorant, boring or a waste of space? Christ. People here have lost touch with reality.

I really want to learn more about sensors because personality and behaviour are not things the sensors I know like to discuss. But its tough when there are so few of certain types around here and the information is so thin its hard to know where to start.

Maybe we should have 'sensor appreciation week' or something. Where we intuitors shower you with praise, ask probing questions about your lives and listen attentively in awe
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    if the site administrators had chosen not to add a four character 'type' field in the profile box would people be as annoyed with those who choose not to reveal their type? the fact that there is a field for it legitimises MBTI. i think the design/architecture of the site is having an influence on the forum community here. if there was no field for it would people be demanding it be in everyone's signature? not likely.
    Two more things:

1. There's a holdover influence from when the site was called We changed the name to TypologyCentral after the owners of the MBTI material sent us a Cease and Desist letter. The site also was developed using INTPc as a template, which uses the type indicator. So the site has been evolving, and MBTI type indicator is part of a legacy system.

2. The type indicator is used to keep certain forums private, and you will not be allowed into your private forum corresponding to your archetype (NT, NF, SP, or SJ) if you do not have a type listed or if it doesn't match the subform key. Sorry, but that's how the techies set it up.

Can you explain what you specifically mean by "legitimizing MBTI," just so it's clear how specifically you think this small piece of MBTI-centered architecture is slanting members' perspectives? (I tend to view it more like subliminal advertising in impact, because the overt commentary by forum holders and mods is more skeptical, and overt beats subliminal every time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Maybe we should have 'sensor appreciation week' or something. Where we intuitors shower you with praise, ask probing questions about your lives and listen attentively in awe
    It's been done before.
    Members can do it again.

There should not be any stigma attached to a type read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater
    You may as well say that my behavior is the result of mystical gnomes who live in my inner ear cavity.
    Egads! Now everything about you finally makes sense!!! *dance*

... I bet you have to be careful with the Q-Tips in the morning, though. They don't like being poked.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft