User Tag List

View Poll Results: What can we learn from dreams?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • They give us direct access to our unconscious mind

6 31.58%
  • Nothing

0 0%
  • Some insights into the unconscious thought not much of value

3 15.79%
  • Not exactly valuable insights, yet something nonetheless

10 52.63%

Thread: Dreams?

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Default Dreams?

Do they tell us anything about ourselves?

MBTI
    INTP

I think it's the unconscious mind trying to make sense of the world. I don't think they have any real meaning outside of the person having them, possibly not even outside the unconscious itself. I understand my dreams most of the time. I don't think I've ever had a dream that really didn't make any sense at all, or maybe I just easily apply meaning to them.

MBTI
    INXP

This is my understanding of them:

While asleep, the part of the brain that makes things into coherent stories is not awake. That means, the experience of dreaming is actually distinct from what you remember. At the time, it doesn't make sense; nothing that could make sense of it's there.

While asleep, a few things are happening. You're replenishing your supply of seritonin and dopamine, and occasionally, a neuron will fire, setting off little storms of activity and conjuring up non-sensical ideas and associated images.

When you wake up, so does the sense-making bit of you, and it inserts "becauses" and "whys," and possibly chronological order.

So, a dream can give some limited insight, I think. How people make sense of random stimulus can say quite a bit about the themes and problems they're dealing with, and to some extent, how they clump together groups of ideas.

I don't think it's a great window into the unconcious mind, but can be an interesting clue to general mood and state of being.
    Let's do this thing.

Hmm, not sure I agree with that meshou. I may have completely misread what you are saying, but here's my take...

I am 'conscious' in many of my deep-sleep dreams, conscious of things being bizarre, impossible or unfair; and I have trains of thought within these dreams...they're not just random images that I impose order on while conscious, I actually do it while dreaming. So I will have a first-person dream that includes me talking to myself in my head...now you could argue that my brain just inserts these observations at the split second I wake up, but personally I know that these trains of thought are contained within the dreams themselves and are not created when I'm conscious.

I often have dreams where I'm rallying against something that makes complete sense, but yet everyone else either ignores me or cannot understand.

Can I change my choice to 'they give us direct access to our unconscious mind'?
    Last edited by Langrenus; 05-02-2007 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Typo
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    RaptorWizard's responce to SolitaryWalker's Dreams? thread:

Perhaps dreams may be reflections of our true self, visions of something that is important to us inside. They could open our awareness to worlds separated from the physical, allowing us to see things from a higher perspective. Not only though would dreaming access the other dimensions of creation, but also might manifest new things into creation, springing from the will of the mind. This would imply a chaotic realm, in which things could be altered; vastly different from the physical world that follows natural laws. The dream world then possibly is limitless, which would render all things possible. Here then if a person wished to move mountains, they would tremble at the sound of voice and crack asunder at command. That though was a mundane example. A highly developed dream world may be vastly different from the physical world, not only in restrictions, but also in appearance. This is why fables have values we make real and live.

WALMART

I have a theory on the purpose/evolution of dreams. Perhaps I will share, someday.

Dreams sometimes give us insight into our minds, both conscious and unconscious (things we see on a regular basis, and things we hardly allow our minds to think about, but they are there.) Although the dreams and the things that go on in them are themselves subjective.

And woah @RaptorWizard, another necro.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1&5

Quote Originally Posted by Langrenus View Post
    Hmm, not sure I agree with that meshou. I may have completely misread what you are saying, but here's my take...

I am 'conscious' in many of my deep-sleep dreams, conscious of things being bizarre, impossible or unfair; and I have trains of thought within these dreams...they're not just random images that I impose order on while conscious, I actually do it while dreaming. So I will have a first-person dream that includes me talking to myself in my head...now you could argue that my brain just inserts these observations at the split second I wake up, but personally I know that these trains of thought are contained within the dreams themselves and are not created when I'm conscious.

I often have dreams where I'm rallying against something that makes complete sense, but yet everyone else either ignores me or cannot understand.

Can I change my choice to 'they give us direct access to our unconscious mind'?
    ^ Exactly what dreaming is like for me. My friends refer to them as my "HD" dreams. I remember them for yeeeears (I remember one from 4 years old very. very. vividly.)

Interestingly enough, in about half of them, I am fully aware that I'm in a dream state and can then enjoy the outrageousness of whatever comes. Occasionally, this means I have full control over even the nightmares. But there's a strange thing I do with them, it seems? It's a nightmare. I'm terrified. I know it's a dream, I know I can make it all go away right exactly now by matrixing around, becoming some sort of super awesome hero of my own dream. But I don't. I choose to instead change small things. I change things enough that I am still experiencing the rage/fear/anguish or whatever unpleasant emotion, but disallow escalation to the feeling of mortal danger.

But in lighthearted news! Last night I dreamt I'd been part of some sort of court settlement with some large company and I was unaware of it until the payout. I was awarded money () and was happily paying off all my debt and bills and planning out the rest of its use with an excel spreadsheet (oh yes. I am *that* boring. In real life, no doubt.) when POOF! good morning. You're still broke and the vermin are whining for bananas, blueberries, and honey.

Groan
    People confuse bluntness with bitchiness -Julia Stiles

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

My mother and sister have had dreams that later came true. How is that possible?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

When you are dreaming, you are basically transferring memories which happened during the day to long term memory and creating associations with the already existing contents. these memories are highly encoded in a way which is not evident by the rational mind of the consciousness as all of it is feeling toned associations, thus it is hard to sometimes see what anything has to do with anything. nevertheless it is these associations to what happened during the day which reveal parts of our mind, that may or may not be consciously available. if you for example see a big frightening dog during the day, the dog might not appear at all, but something else that is associated to that emotion which you got from the dog might come out in a dream, it might even be something far off as a green pencil which looks so green that its evil, but that green pencil might be associated to something totally different for example your first grade teachers scottish hat. this teacher might have had a similar scary dog to what you saw during the day and you saw a green pencil because of a scary dog. basically figuring out dreams is just figuring out this sort of associations and not all of them are important in any ways, but sometimes you might get really important insight into your own unconscious mind by analyzing your dreams.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read