User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Thread: Accents

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    I can't pronounce the R in 'cart' or 'farm' properly, it sounds like I've had to force it out with great effort.
    Why bother? Seems you've already got the proper way to pronounce them down. The English (you know, the people who invented English) view the R's in "cart" and "farm" as there purely to show that the "a" sound is long
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    Why bother? Seems you've already got the proper way to pronounce them down. The English (you know, the people who invented English) view the R's in "cart" and "farm" as there purely to show that the "a" sound is long
    Haha, I know, I'm English and from the South East hence I can't do it. I just noticed a while ago while trying to mimic the accents of the South West, Scotland, the USA etc., that the rhoticism of these is one of my many stumbling blocks. I just wish I could reproduce accents as accurately as I can identify their features. I know how they should sound, they just won't come out properly. I'm a complete nerd for this stuff as you can probably tell, I'd probably study linguistics if I ever attempted a degree again.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    *is from this point on going to wonder if dudes speaking with accents are actually spamtar ... which isn't a bad thing*
    Blimey!

Lol, even if its not me it might be one of my minions.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I don't much sound like a Brumy, if that is what you mean! I grew up in a place equalidistant to all three locations you just mentioned. I have a rather hard "a" vowl. When I go for a picnic I sit on my ass in the grass, not my with my arse in the grarss.
    Now this is fascinating stuff. Sounds like you weren't far from J.R.R. Tolkien's old stomping grounds. From Wikipedia:

When he was three... Tolkien's mother took him to live with her parents in Kings Heath,[19] Birmingham. Soon after, in 1896, they moved to Sarehole (now in Hall Green), then a Worcestershire village, later annexed to Birmingham.[20] He enjoyed exploring Sarehole Mill and Moseley Bog and the Clent and Malvern Hills, which would later inspire scenes in his books, along with Worcestershire towns and villages such as Bromsgrove, Alcester, and Alvechurch and places such as his aunt Jane's farm of Bag End, the name of which would be used in his fiction.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius' accent is a nondescript British accent for the most part, especially as he tends to mimic people with other accents. That said, one can easy guess where Falcarius is from by the way he pronounces 'Magdalen', 'Cherwell', and maybe even 'Shrewsbury'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    Haha, I know, I'm English and from the South East hence I can't do it. I just noticed a while ago while trying to mimic the accents of the South West, Scotland, the USA etc., that the rhoticism of these is one of my many stumbling blocks. I just wish I could reproduce accents as accurately as I can identify their features. I know how they should sound, they just won't come out properly. I'm a complete nerd for this stuff as you can probably tell, I'd probably study linguistics if I ever attempted a degree again.
    Ah, a glutton for punishment? That's been my poison for the past ooooh... well over 20 years, and she's a temperamental mistress, to be sure!

:captainrum:

It's a strange thing, but I've noticed that the mimic ability seems to be absent in most Feelers except ENFP's... weird huh? Anyone else notice that? xxTP's seem the best mimickers to me...

Actually I'm pretty good at accents, I can mimic a person's voice pretty well with only a little practice. My ENFP brother does something weird though - he seems to mimic their "presence"...? The accent's unconvincing but you're still in no doubt about whom he's impersonating, the way he moves, the choice of words, and something indefinable...

Logically, SP's should be the best at combining the two, since they're supposed to be the actor types... hmm...
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Also, I end sentences with a preposition. Yay.
    That's actually perfectly correct unless you're speaking Latin, lol.

Common misconception.

Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    It's a strange thing, but I've noticed that the mimic ability seems to be absent in most Feelers except ENFP's... weird huh? Anyone else notice that? xxTP's seem the best mimickers to me...
    Hmm, that might be my experience too now you mention it, but I know very few people who are actually good at mimickry so it's not much of a sample. Feelers do seem to be worse at it though.

I wonder whether Thinkers will focus on the ways in which accents sound different from their own at the expense of automatically adjusting the mind in such way that you're not consciously aware of the differences and can understand the person more easily, and vice versa for Feelers. Despite being so interested in them, unless I happen to be thinking about linguistics at the time I'm almost always the last person to notice that a person I meet or hear in the media has an accent different to my own, and it took a long time to be any good at naming accents once I am aware someone has one, but I am good at understanding people with thick ones, perhaps why they have to be pretty strong for me to consciously acknowledge them at all without prompting.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    *pictures spamtar scoping out a chick and scanning through his various accents to find the most suitable one*

Now I've got a scene playing in my head like a James Bond movie where he introduces himself as "I'm tar, spamtar"...
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Not sure how to describe my accent... Malaysian English (affectionately known as Manglish) basically uses the British pronounciation of words but sprinkled with influences from the other local languages. In my case, my mother tongue Cantonese and 2nd language Malay.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell