User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Thread: Accents

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    What's yours? How do people in different areas react to it? Which ones do you like and dislike and which ones are you aware of having stereotypes about? Any you can't understand? Do you ever modify your accent and why? Etcetera etcetera.
    Well, I'm not a native English speaker. It's difficult to distinguish accents here but there are dialects (maybe not that noticeable but the little things give away from which region people are originally from). So, I would have the northern dialect because that's where I'm from.

When it comes to English, my accent is probably a mess. I've never really tried to emulate any kind of accent but I guess I've always favoured General American more than Received Pronunciation. It somehow felt more natural for me to speak, so I've stuck with it, although I have some occasional slips of RP and who knows what else. Throw in a bit of Eastern European accent, mix it all up with GA and RP and...nobody can figure out where I'm from.

I love accents and since English has been my point of interest for so long, I'm able to distinguish and enjoy the different varieties. It's like a hobby. So, I don't think I really have any stereotypical notions about different accents.

It definitely takes some time to get used to people speaking with a thick accent. But it also depends on the accent, some are easier to get used to than others. I used to have a lecturer who had a pretty thick Scottish accent and it took some adjustment at first. I never had any problems with some others.

I've noticed that I do modify my accent completely unintentionally. But it depends on the people I'm speaking with, it's like I'm supporting them to make the atmosphere more comfortable, sort of mirroring them. If they have a distinguishable accent that is different from mine (whatever nationality, speaking English) I start taking on their accent unintentionally. Also, when rewinding the conversations in my mind later on, or even thinking about the person, I notice my inner voice using the same accent (I mostly think in English anyway).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Mine is a mix of British and West Coast accent. I code switch my accent based on whom i'm talking to though. If one wants to sound all very formal and proper, the best way is to use the British accent

PS: My mother tongue is not English though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I love accents and since English has been my point of interest for so long, I'm able to distinguish and enjoy the different varieties. It's like a hobby. So, I don't think I really have any stereotypical notions about different accents.
    same here!. linguistics is a hobby of mine, and i just love to see how the native languages of people affect the way they pronounce a non native language.
    Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Southern drawl a.k.a Redneck accent
    Then I joined the army and had to learn to re-pronounce half the words that came outta my mouth so people from other areas of the country could understand me. Now, I still sound like a redneck around these parts(but at least people understand what I'm saying) and when I go home I get told I 'Sound like a damn yankee'....There's no winnin'

Only saving grace: Its hilarious when people only listen to the accent and think I'm stupid, then finally pay attention to what I'm actually saying and go "Holy Crap! You're a friggin' genius"...I've had this exact scenario play out so many times that I just roll my eyes at it now.

Redneck Accent = Art of the Lazy Tongue.
    We'll mangle a word or phrase just so it rolls off the tongue easier.
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFJ

I have a midland accent, though my "a" sounds tend to be shorter than most white people around here and my speech very sloppy: as in, "I don't care" turns into "I dun ker." Also, I end sentences with a preposition. Yay.

I don't like it so much when people anunciate words, especially when they don't sound good doing it (i. e., non-actors)
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Oberon

I mostly talk like the people on the evening news. But when I have an accent, it is a Maryland accent. I can impersonate accents pretty well, but I can't do my native one... it's too close to home. It's the Baltimore accent with a bit of redneck twang.

You can tell the Maryland accent from the O-fronting (hard to describe in print, but it subtly shades the "o" in "show" toward "ew") and the blurring of Ls into Ws and Ts into Ds. So the name of the city to a native is "Bawdamore" rather than "Baltimore."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I mostly talk like the people on the evening news. But when I have an accent, it is a Maryland accent. I can impersonate accents pretty well, but I can't do my native one... it's too close to home. It's the Baltimore accent with a bit of redneck twang.

You can tell the Maryland accent from the O-fronting (hard to describe in print, but it subtly shades the "o" in "show" toward "ew") and the blurring of Ls into Ws and Ts into Ds. So the name of the city to a native is "Bawdamore" rather than "Baltimore."
    Most Americans do the "t" to "d" thing to some extent. It's pronounced "Baldamore."
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Most Americans do the "t" to "d" thing to some extent. It's pronounced "Baldamore."
    True... but in the Maryland accent this tendency is notable because it's so... [ahem] ...pronounced.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i think i have a relatively nondescript american accent. ??
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

When I speak Spanish, people take me for a Buenos Aires´(Argentina) citizen, even in my own country.

When speaking English or German, they ask if I´m British. This when I was working in Europe and the USA.

And, my Portuguese sounds Brazilian. That makes sense, since it´s the kind we study here. I remember that a receptionist in Portugal told me "You speak Brazilian very well".

To sum up, people can´t tell if I´m foreigner by talking to me.

Now, when meeting people in person, my Spanish physical features make a different story.

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Well, I'm not a native English speaker.
    Where are you from originally, Sky is BLUE! ? I definitely wouldn't have known it's not your native language.

WOW people on here are so SMART...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.