User Tag List

First 412131415 Last

Thread: Accents

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Yeah, but remember the term tends to be used in two different senses - I think it originally applied to the accent of the working classes in the "home counties" near London, especially further down the Thames (hence the term Estuary). It's now become a widespread linguistic trend that's been adopted by the higher social classes, and speakers of whatever social background in other parts of the country, and I think you're referring more to this than the original usage.

I wouldn't describe something like an Essex accent as Cockney, I doubt that would be accurate linguistically either; but I'm also fairly sure that traditional speakers in such areas drop the T to a similar extent. This is really what I was referring to. The broader use of the term seems to be referring more to people who are really standard English speakers with a greater or lesser degree of Estuary influence. The boundaries are so blurred I wouldn't like to try to define the latter kind too exactly; but certain features (like excessive T dropping) do seem to be a social and regional marker as much as anything: it's probably why they're considered non-prestigious.
    Yes, the newer definition is the one I'm using. By that definition, the Essex accent I think you're talking about (which is being replaced by Cockney to some extent due to migration from London) wouldn't be Estuary either, but possibly it was by the original definition. Would you class Russell Brand's accent as Cockney or traditional Essex (when he's not obviously doing 'Mockney' for effect that is)? I'm not familiar enough with the Essex one as an entity to tell them apart reliably. For all I know the Essex one has enough of the features to qualify as Cockney, it sounds like a subset of it to me when I've occasionally heard someone I know is from there.

Anyway, I think it would be interesting for people to post their own voices on this thread so we could see what they were talking about. Is anyone brave enough?
    I would but I've never managed to get my laptop to let me do things like that.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Vee+ HICkle is one way to say it down South, if you slow down the E in "Vee."
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Senior Member tastes_like_purple's Avatar
    MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram

I have a southern irish accent (:
    Uhmm I haven't had any major complaints or compliments? xD
    I'm not very picky but I really don't like australian accents or just
    random ones where peoples voices tend to lilt too much at the end of everything they say so it sounds like they're singing *slams head off desk*....

I have no idea what most scottish people are saying but god
    does it sound sexy

Oh do NOT get me started on that freakin' stereotype
    of the irish leprechauny type accent *facepalm* ¬¬
    And I think theres that stereotype for posh english accents.

I don't really modify mine unless im on holidays and random people
    notice my accent and start talking to me In which case i just tone it down xD
    A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes,
    I screamed aloud, as it tore through them,
    and now it's left me blind...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    No, I think I'm aware of the rhythm you're talking about, though only vaguely. It's one of the accents broadcast outside of the US a disproportionately large amount of the time, so I can tell the difference between a moderate Californian accent and GA, or at least I believe I can.
    Yeah, it's all over TV, which is why I thought that many people might not even note the difference. However, don't confuse it with the exaggerated CA accent where every sentence sounds like a question .
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by tastes_like_purple View Post
    I have a southern irish accent (:
    Uhmm I haven't had any major complaints or compliments? xD
    I'm not very picky but I really don't like australian accents or just
    random ones where peoples voices tend to lilt too much at the end of everything they say so it sounds like they're singing *slams head off desk*....
    :blushing:

I'm not as bad as some though...

(and BTW its called a 'rising inflection' or 'high rising terminal' - NZ practically invented it )

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

I'm bumping this thread because I wasn't here when it was first active, and I LOVE accents.

I have a general American accent, because I grew up in the area of the US where the local accent is closest to "General American"
    General American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What do American accents sound like to non-Americans? I know that Southern accents sound kind of melodic to me, but what does the standard American accent sound like?
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ukrainian accents are the best!
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by mnestic View Post
    What do American accents sound like to non-Americans? I know that Southern accents sound kind of melodic to me, but what does the standard American accent sound like?
    American accent sounds...round. I don't have a better way of describing it. It's like "chocolate melting on your tongue and then trying to speak" round.

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    American accent sounds...round. I don't have a better way of describing it. It's like "chocolate melting on your tongue and then trying to speak" round.
    Really? The accent reminds me of squares or rectangles... where as the Australian accent reminds me of circles and roundness. I think it's something to do with how the Americans pronounce their Rs and the Australians don't.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

That accent that American newspeople have....but e vowels are slightly exaggerated.
    It's weird, because everywhere around me has either a hick accent or a lake accent, but this small town doesn't. It sounds like any other regular midwest/northeast town.