User Tag List

View Poll Results: Psychiatry or Scientology?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Psychiatry.

22 75.86%
  • Scientology.

0 0%
  • Both.

0 0%
  • Neither.

7 24.14%
123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

Default Psychiatry Vs. Scientology?

^ Look at the topic!

See what happens is that I want to be someone who heals the mind, but I wouldn't mind just healing people. I like to go into a helping job.

So I thought, hey Psychiatry doesn't seem that bad.

Then I hear all this stuff about psychiatry that just seems so against it. Major one was Scientology.

And thus, I started researching both...

So now I'm just asking for your views on BOTH of these two, and what you think is 'right'? Do you think that they should both be eliminated, or both be kept? Or one over the other?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Neuro Linguistic Programming is the answer.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've received a lot of practical and useful help from my years in therapy. Unfortunately, it's not like medicine in that someone can prescribe a pill and it heals your sickness; it's variable, complex, and personal, and the cure actually rests in the hands of the patient much of the time, not the doctor/therapist. This frustrates some people who want life to be easier to resolve, and it also means there can be a higher percentage of people who don't know what they're doing and they'll never really get found out.

Scientology? Is there any correlation between reality and scientology at all?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Scientology? Is there any correlation between reality and scientology at all?
    Ask Tom Cruise that.

MBTI
    INTP

Scientology:

1. Take stress test
    2. Pay money
    3. ...Feel better?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Neuro Linguistic Programming is the answer.
    Corporate pop positivity will one day die.

Say, what's an ENFP doing advocating reimagining oneself as someone else?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post

It's not just an ENFP, it's a yuppie ENFP! I didn't realise that was even possible. What's next, a hippie INTJ?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

there's some actual science behind psychiatry

despite the name, there's NO actual science behind scientology (science fiction, yes, actual science, no!)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISFJ

I can't say I know what you are referring to.

Well my interpretation of good NLP usage is that it makes you more you, dropping stupid walls you've put up. Sometimes it's all about logic and has nothing to do with changing your identity per se...I want to become more positive...this doesn't mean I'm gonna become a naive ENFP all of a sudden, nor does it mean that I'm gonna change any sort of value I have. As long as your values remain the same, you can use NLP to your advantage.

There is a very rare scenario where you might find one of your values is completely out of touch with reality or is in fact unfair to others/yourself, and nothing is being gained from it. NLP also puts growing up, education and indoctrination in perspective. So it makes you question why you believe in something in the first place. Was it simply a matter of it being hammered for years? Surely you, as an intelligent being are better than that?? NLP might help you see that.

I'm not advocating NLP per se...I stumbled upon NLP in quite a curious manner...I began seeing patterns between my own theories of how one goes about being happier and mentally healthier...and Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich and meditation and religion and hypnosis and conditioning etc...

The NLP creators seem to have arrived to some of the same conclusions I did, and I'm currently exploring it further to see what I can get out of it...and discard what I don't like so much. Like any tool, it can be used for good or for bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Weber View Post
    It's not just an ENFP, it's a yuppie ENFP! I didn't realise that was even possible. What's next, a hippie INTJ?
    Yeah I'm not really a yuppie (thank god). Yuppie's just embody most of the sucky concepts in life...and I tend to jokingly present myself as one of my enemies....it's partly a self-loathing exercise, a mocking of yuppies, and a way to fool people as well as make a joke.

Don't worry though, I'm no hippie either :P

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Evolution or the story of Genesis?