User Tag List

View Poll Results: Psychiatry or Scientology?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Psychiatry.

22 75.86%
  • Scientology.

0 0%
  • Both.

0 0%
  • Neither.

7 24.14%
First 12345 Last

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    They both want your money and could care less about your peace of mind.
    I am not sure about Scientology, but Psychiatry being after your money? Well yes they surely do like money. I am not sure what the origins of Psychiatry are, but quite sure it had a legitimate medical background with a genuine concern for its patience.

Fuck them both.
    :workout:
    See what I mean? This is why I thought you had a penis.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    I am not sure about Scientology, but Psychiatry being after your money? Well yes they surely do like money. I am not sure what the origins of Psychiatry are, but quite sure it had a legitimate medical background with a genuine concern for its patience.

:workout:
    See what I mean? This is why I thought you had a penis.
    Have you ever walked into a doctor's office and been prescribed antidepressants before your eyes could even adjust to the light in the room? How about Seroquel?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Have you ever walked into a doctor's office and been prescribed antidepressants before your eyes could even adjust to the light in the room? How about Seroquel?
    No, actually not. I've never met or was treated by a therapist who did that, and any decision about me going on medication involved a thorough discussion of the drug in question and careful review of the impact on me after... and we ceased treatment with one drug that had side effects I did not like.

Yes, it happens; but most of this discussion seems dominated by cliches.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

I never said therapist.

I'm only offering experience. In my experience, psychiatrists are pushers. If it fits a cliche, then all the better.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

No.

I was only prescribed a combination of Seroquel and Effexor after being hospitalized because I was suicidal. I suspect my shrink felt he had good reason to do that at that point

*edit* I apologize if I sound snooty, it's just my experience with psychiatrist's is nothing at all what I hear from some people so I have a REALLY hard believe some of the crap I hear about it.
    Last edited by tinker683; 06-08-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: wanted to add something
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    By re-focusing, re-invigorating, re-directing... re-programming? Questioning why one would do this or that is jim dandy, but by what decision does one choose the new way? It's still you doing the choosing? How do you know your choice is not corrupted by the old you? Doesn't NLP go on about emulating the successful, effective people?

And then there's the re-programming of others. That's part of it, isn't it. Being more effective at directing other people.

NLP: "You can be TJ too!" (Or FJ if you insist.)
    It would make sense that NLP, psychology or anything else dealing with the mind would have potential bad uses right? I just equate it to education. It's not inherently good if the subject matter is crap or a bunch of lies is it? Hmm, but then again, what of the parent who plants little seeds of lies like "you are capable of doing everything you want" in his child's head, for his/her future benefit? It's all relative, really. I will admit i'm the first one to question all of these things due to my moral perfectionism, but in the end there comes a time to relativize when the "victim" in question is yourself.

Like I said, NLP can be used in a variety of ways. Yes, you can use it to redirect people, you can even use it to sell yourself as a medium...or you can use it for something else entirely. NLP is devoid of any sense of moralism, that is up to the user in question. Just like any other science.

By what decision does one choose the new way?

By weighing the pros and cons and by looking at the implications of that change both logically and morally.

It's still you doing the choosing?

It's by a me that is thirsty for change, of course, but yeah still me.

How do you know your choice is not corrupted by the old you?

In what way? Being influenced by my old me is whole point though. That's how ensure you are still the same person.

Doesn't NLP go on about emulating the successful, effective people?

Richard Bandler, NLP co-creator (whose book I'm reading right now, and who strikes me as a bit of a madmen really) does mention that was part of his research yes. The whole point of NLP is to promote excellence, and instead of making up new ways of tackling problems they just look at the people who did it. Even with mental illnesses he doesn't look at the reasons why a person is like that per se, nor does the healing start with the process understanding his/her own fear...it's all about bruteforcing a solution into the brain. If you are afraid of one thing...just start associating that thing with this this and this good thing...and you'll subconsciously start feeling better and eliminating your fear.

NLP uses pretty basic concepts and that's why it interests me. I can't claim to know much about it though, I've been reading small stuff and haven't finished his book yet. But there are so many parallels with my previous research and findings that I'm inclined to believe it does have a lot of potential.

As far as TJness is concerned, you needn't say much more than it's an american creation and it's still heavily influenced by american corporate/business culture. Even Napoleon Hills Think and Grow Rich which has nothing to do with money or business per se, had to do a play on words to captivate readers...who were fascinated by the idea of just making money.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

not to totally sound stereotypical of my type here, but...

... you can at least sell the drugs that a psychiatrist gives you on a good markup and make your money back, while you can't sell scientology to anyone and make your money back

** is totally not talking from experience here
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

depends on the drugs though.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    depends on the drugs though.
    I've been prescribed some pretty fun ones before
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

mine all suck no one wants trazadone lexipro or ablify.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so