User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you posted your picture?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have posted my picture

48 72.73%
  • I haven't posted my picture and wouldn't

8 12.12%
  • I haven't and probably will (I feel indifferent about doing so)

4 6.06%
  • I haven't and am undecided (sometimes I want to)

6 9.09%
First 7891011 Last

Thread: Un-Picture time

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

I decided when I first joined that I was never going to post a picture or video. I've been tempted a few times just because it's fun and nice to connect with everyone and see what other people look like. It leaves you curious. But, anonymity won out. I enjoy that. Oh and how much I've shared on this forum! After what personal things I've written here, I don't think it'd be in my best interest now to reveal the lady behind the adowable wittle av-watar.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    I haven't, for several reasons.

First off, people pass judgment on such things, and derive preconceived notions from such. As soon as they see yeu're white, it's like ZOMG RACIST PRICK.
    We don't have to see your picture to figure that out.

I have posted pictures. I also reveal a lot about myself. Being anonymous doesn't appeal to me. If I can't be who I am when I go somewhere, then forget it. Not only do I not feel the need to be secretive about my true identity, but I'd feel like I was missing out if I did that. I want people to be able to connect with me. I don't mean an emotional connection that's formed anonymously on the Internet. I mean that I want to be reachable and knowable. My identity is the stable statue that can either lead people my way or repel them away from me. I'm okay with being challenged or loved, either one can lead to progress.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I've grappled with the idea for a while now, and it makes me uncomfortable, but I think there is a lot more we do with seeing a person's picture than we like to admit. Perhaps it's just me, but I tend to judge a picture and try to reconcile it with the person's personality in some way, gleaning as many facets and fleshing things out as much as possible. Of course, all of this is done subconsciously for the most part, which is the scariest/weirdest part. Anyone who tells you they don't judge your picture is basically full of bullshit. In perceiving it, we judge it necessarily.

We fit it in to our mind somehow and the person along with it, otherwise, viewing a person's picture would mean nothing whatsoever. It means something because we MAKE it mean something, and that really has nothing at all to do with the person, but it has everything to do with us. We may be right or not, but we 100% think we are right because we are so used to accommodating visual data and reconciling it in our mind, that we do it instinctively.

Hopefully, most people are kind in this, but most probably aren't. I post pics because in the end I don't really care either way. Well, that's a lie. I post good pics because I hope that people will err on the side of liking me because they like the way I look. In the end, I know that it doesn't really matter, which is why I keep doing it. It's out of some sense of being REAL and vulnerable, and bringing a 3d component to a 2d environment that I ultimately do it.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    It's out of some sense of being REAL and vulnerable, and bringing a 3d component to a 2d environment that I ultimately do it.
    i want to be real as well.... i don't have a cool online persona or name or anything, so im screwed on having that as an alternative i suck at creative wording and such. or role playing. but being completely real with images on the net, i find, is not is the easiest thing for me either.

oh well.. i try to be real with my thoughts here, i think (by virtue of exploring all this type theory stuff atm..i mean, it's kind of necessary to communicate, considering the site's theme )

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Just because your appearance is one of the things people use to form an overall impression of you, even if they aren't consciously deciding to do so. Some people would rather others form an impression from their words alone. (Okay, there's still the avatar and username that come into play).

I haven't decided if I'm going to post any. I haven't been too active here yet, so maybe after people have gotten to know me more.
    but you get a sense of who people are. in a way where they are coming from, you get to see their frowns, their laugh lines, their smiles, the warmth, the sadness, their eyes and their expressions and experiences is written on their face.

MBTI
    INFP
    Socionics
    IEI

Well the one and only photo of myself I intend on showing here is my avatar and that's because I like seeing the person i'm talking to so my assumption is that others do too. I'm probably more judgemental than I realise when it comes to photos, but I can't think of a time the image someone has posted has ever effected my judgement of their posts, it just makes me bizarrely happy that I can see the person behind the words. They feel a little more real and a little less like another anonymous internet person.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion.
    That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are.
    Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    i want to be real as well.... i don't have a cool online persona or name or anything, so im screwed on having that as an alternative i suck at creative wording and such. or role playing. but being completely real with images on the net, i find, is not is the easiest thing for me either.

oh well.. i try to be real with my thoughts here, i think (by virtue of exploring all this type theory stuff atm..i mean, it's kind of necessary to communicate, considering the site's theme )

I like the name KDUDE! SPs make some of my favorite posts, because they cut past all the crap most of the time, and are real. That's saying a lot. And I personally like reading anecdotal stuff. If I want real live articles and theories, I'll go search it out in other places (although I like that so many here are in tune with what's going on and are basically intelligent).

I guess I should say I generally really like to see someone's pics, either in threads, or on their public page. It helps me remember them more, like a mnemonic device I guess, and makes me feel closer to them for some reason, perhaps because they've taken that leap and trusted me to see what they look like.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    As soon as they see yeu're white, it's like ZOMG RACIST PRICK.
    I don't understand that comment at all.

Glycerine

I have several times but I deleted them almost all the time. I am a privacy freak and I don't want people to judge me on how "ugly" I am. It scares me.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni
    As soon as they see yeu're white, it's like ZOMG RACIST PRICK.
    Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    We don't have to see your picture to figure that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I don't understand that comment at all.
    Just a standard misconception, and neptunes post can be taken two ways... there are those who assume that if yeu say yeu're white, yeu're racist against everyone else BECAUSE yeu're white... which is admittedly racist O.o

And then there's the point that yeu don't NEED a picture to know if someone is or not; their actions usually speak loud enough, as do their words.

The thing is that, it's become a 'given', and many people just assume that as soon as they see yeur skin colour, they attach certain traits to yeu, regardless of whether yeu have them. Same thing with gender, and any other outward appearance traits yeu may have.

People judge others based on how they look, it's something yeu can't really fully cease to do. Yeur brain is designed to do this; if someone "looks" dangerous, yeu stay away from them. If they "look" like they might hurt yeu, yeu're a little more cautious. If they "look" like some other group which has caused yeu problems, yeu lump them in with that group, regardless of whether they're even remotely similar to that group or not.

It's how our brains work, and sometimes it really sucks.

It's just easier to avoid misconceptions by avoiding giving any excess of information that's not necessary to the other party.