User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you posted your picture?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have posted my picture

    48 72.73%
  • I haven't posted my picture and wouldn't

    8 12.12%
  • I haven't and probably will (I feel indifferent about doing so)

    4 6.06%
  • I haven't and am undecided (sometimes I want to)

    6 9.09%
First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 113

Thread: Un-Picture time

  1. #71
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    If people are biased towards Johnny Depp because he's attractive, that doesn't mean they would like him if he was an asshole...but it does mean that the positive assumptions they make about him in the first place would not be made for an ugly guy and he's still on the whole getting a better treatment in general.
    biased or informed? depends on how you want to see it. if someone knows what he looks like and a bit about his life they can hear his words and understand them more intimately.
    You did say "if you show someone that you're an asshole they will see you as such". That didn't leave much room for interpretation. You're responsible for the way you word things as well
    then how'd you get it wrong? i wasn't saying that person is...i was saying that they ought to do better to show that they aren't if they do not want to be seen that way.


    Tel then to the scarred faced man or the really fat girl. Sure, people should be proud of who they are...but other people shouldn't care about how they look in the first place.

    And if people have the responsibility to show others the truth than others also have the responsibility to not be biased towards them.
    i edited that part from my post because i don't think anyone is obligated to give information about themselves that they don't want to...including pictures...that is not my argument here at all...i'm simply saying that for me i understand more about someone the more information i have....and i don't care what they look or sound like but i won't know them very well either.


    eta:
    And I agree that we have the responsibility to show others what we want them to know. Responsibility towards ourselves more than others though. But it's one thing to use words and another to use body language. You only have so much control over the vibe you send. And I refuse to play by other people's interpretation model...because people DO evaluate someone else subjectively via their own prisms and perception.

    There is no TRUE way to be and that just smells like we should always adjust to other people when speaking, which I don't believe in.
    i'm not in any way saying you owe it to them. it's not about behaving appropriately. it's about being responsible for you...but who says the most accurate information about ones character is derived from what they can control? i disagree...vibe is important because it's natural.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  2. #72
    Feline Member kelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INtP
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I have not posted a pic here, and I probably will not, not because I don't want YOU GUYS to know what I look like, but because I do not want somebody I know in other contexts to see pictures of me on here and connect the words to the photos.
    Yeah, this. At one point I posted a couple of pictures of myself here, but I removed them a long time ago. I don't have any objections to having people here know what I look like, but I want to be free to be honest and clear here, when I say things that would cause huge problems in my work/family life. Not posting an easily-identifiable photo gives me at least plausible deniability. True, it's unlikely that it would ever come up -- but the downsides are large enough to squelch even that small chance.

    I have thought about it on a number of occasions, in various threads, but as much as I might prefer to be able to join in some of those conversations, I'd not want much of what I've said to be public in the "your boss could be reading this" sort of way.

    I'd actually rather meet people in person than post a photo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. #73
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    biased or informed? depends on how you want to see it. if someone knows what he looks like and a bit about his life they can hear his words and understand them more intimately.

    then how'd you get it wrong? i wasn't saying that person is...i was saying that they ought to do better to show that they aren't if they do want to be seen that way.




    i edited that part from my post because i don't think anyone is obligated to give information about themselves that they don't want to...including pictures...that is not my argument here at all...i'm simply saying that for me i understand more about someone the more information i have....and i don't care what they look or sound like but i won't know them very well either.


    eta:


    i'm not in any way saying you owe it to them. it's not about behaving appropriately. it's about being responsible for you...but who says the most accurate information about ones character is derived from what they can control? i disagree...vibe is important because it's natural.
    But the reasons for that vibe can be misinterpreted. And let me tell you I have a lot of examples in my life on people who assume a bunch of things about me without even knowing me all too well because of my vibe apparently.

    And something becomes natural after initially being forced. People don't have the same vibe throughout life, and there is a reason why people acquire the vibes they do.

  4. #74
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    And something becomes natural after initially being forced. People don't have the same vibe throughout life, and there is a reason why people acquire the vibes they do.
    yes i know. still part of the puzzle tho and important imo.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  5. #75
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    I haven't, for several reasons.

    First off, people pass judgment on such things, and derive preconceived notions from such. As soon as they see yeu're white, it's like ZOMG RACIST PRICK. Soon as they see yeu're female, ZOMG U R TEH DUM, I mean, I NEED IN U R PANTZ.

    So on and so forth.

    The biggest benefit to being online *IS* the anonymity... yeu can learn to see the true person on the other end. When they have nothing to hide, nothing to alter yeur view of them but whot they say and do, yeu see who they are when they think noone is looking. Yeu can see them at their cruelest, and their kindest. As soon as someone adds a picture, part of that anonymity is lost. Someone might recognize them now, and even if that's not the case, peoples' perceptions of them are now skewed.

    It's in our nature as humans to be racist, sexist, or whoteverist. We are designed so that our minds put things into groups and make generalizations about whot we have seen in the past. It's the core behind how we process ANY information. If yeu see something on a regular basis, yeu are SUPPOSED to associate it with recurring traits. It's how we learn to survive our environment. Sometimes though... it's not particularly effective, and often very misleading.



    Another major reason is that, online, the standard dealie is people assume male unless otherwise stated. If yeu claim male, noone questions it. Claim female, and it's "ZOMG PIX PLZ OR DIDNT HAPPEN". Why would people lie about that in the first place? I mean some do obviously, but I don't get the point behind it or why it's assumed so strongly that there are NO women online O.o Having been playing games online and such for nearly two decades now, back when it really was fairly rare for females to be around, I've developed an attitude of just not caring whot people think, and don't need to 'prove' myself on basic facts. Aaaaand eventually that progressed into spite; if I wanted to post a picture of myself, I'd still not do so simply out of spite so that people who would want to know CAN'T.



    And then there's the matter that I come from a highly addictive family tree... once I do anything, it's exceedingly hard not to again. I have never had a beer, because if I did, I'd never be able to stop and would probably become an alcoholic. I strived for the longest time not to put my voice online ever... gave a clip to a boyfriend once and now I use vent fairly regularly. If I put my picture up ANYWHERES, it'd be all over the place in no time and then EVERYONE would see it, because I have no willpower XD


    I dunno, I just don't see any reason to do so, and several not to. Yeu don't need my picture to appreciate my posts or to hate me. I see no reason to slant yeur perceptions further than an avatar already can. Yeu have no need to know whot I look like.

    If yeu're THAT curious... I look boring. Totally, and utterly, boring. Nothing special, nothing interesting, maybe 'cute', but not some gorgeous model or anything. I'm flat chested, I have glasses I normally refuse to wear if I can at all help it, and if yeu saw me on the street yeu'd probably just ignore me. Honestly, I'm kind of perfectly fine with this, as it works fine to my advantage most of the time. People ignore me, I rarely get pestered by anyone socially or on the dating scene, and can generally just do whot I want without being stared at or questioned about it.

    That being said, there's no real need to post a picture of the absolute personification of "bland and normal" now is there? XD

  6. #76
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    ...you see who they are when they think no one is looking.
    Yes, character is what you are when no one is looking.

  7. #77
    Uniqueorn William K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Here's me dressed up like a gerbil last Halloween.

    My wife said I looked like a half gerbil/half pitbull hybrid.

    A CapyHalla?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

    appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

    I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

    The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

  8. #78
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    or maybe some people are simply just more visual and take in more information that way..i put them together...one doesn't outweigh the other...does it not make sense that the more information you have of someone the more you understand them? how is that difficult? really...i don't get it.
    Being a more visual person may warp perspective even more when seeing an image of what someone looks like.

    Compare a book with a movie, reading a book about someone's life leaves you concentrating on their temperament and personality, you have to use the words to understand them, with a movie you can gloss over all of that and focus on more surface things. It won't necessarily be inaccurate, but it will be more surface.

  9. #79
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    yeah...i'm not sure i can edit it out really. i just make up my own images but they're probably way off....so i guess if they're going to be there anyway i'd rather they be accurate.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  10. #80
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    I had some pics here (taken off awhile back), but I kinda agree with Katsuni somewhat. It's nice just being anonymous, not assessed on appearances (or dissed even).

    It probably doesn't matter anyways.. It's not like we're all really getting to know each other, are we? Or are we? Hate to sound like a shithead, but seriously. I'm not going to meet 99 percent of you (and that other 1 percent is iffy), so that lvl of presentation is optional at best, not exactly necessary

Similar Threads

  1. Greatest motion picture composer of all time.
    By Poindexter Arachnid in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-08-2013, 05:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO