User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you posted your picture?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have posted my picture

48 72.73%
  • I haven't posted my picture and wouldn't

8 12.12%
  • I haven't and probably will (I feel indifferent about doing so)

4 6.06%
  • I haven't and am undecided (sometimes I want to)

6 9.09%
First 12345 Last

Thread: Un-Picture time

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    yeah me too. i'm interested in hearing the thoughts of people...and the more information i have of the person saying them the more accurately i understand their meaning.
    Does that mean you wouldn't be interested in Stepen Hawking's thoughts since he can't speak or move his face and make different expressions? Or you would filter them as coming from a person with that specific disability?

Whether they are negative or positive..it creates biases. Meaning doesn't come from body language. More than 70% of communication comes from body language. That's why a charismatic guy in one group might say one thing and have everyone applaud him and the anti-charismatic person say the exact same thing and people hate him for it. It's stupid. All too human, but stupid nonetheless like a slew of other things in life that we don't die for trying to diminish (like anger etc)

Smile

yeah me too. i'm interested in hearing the thoughts of people...and the more information i have of the person saying them the more accurately i understand their meaning.
    Another way to look at it is that the meaning of a post is its response, for after all the first thing we look for after we post is its response. And the more responses, the more our post means.

Of course we have the literate illusion that it is the author that gives a post its meaning, but look at the work we are creating here. Look at it as a whole and you will see any thread has multiple authors, and no single author gives the thread its meaning.

And so the meaning of any thread is its totality, for which the poster and the respondents are responsible.

So for shorthand we can say, the meaning of any post is its response.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

it means i'd rather hear them in person. i much prefer a lecture or real life conversation over transcripts or words on a computer screen but i don't have the luxury to interact with everyone on here in person....so i read the words and appreciate when i'm given a fuller picture of the individual who's saying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Does that mean you wouldn't be interested in Stepen Hawking's thoughts since he can't speak or move his face and make different expressions? Or you would filter them as coming from a person with that specific disability?

Whether they are negative or positive..it creates biases. Meaning doesn't come from body language. More than 70% of communication comes from body language. That's why a charismatic guy in one group might say one thing and have everyone applaud him and the anti-charismatic person say the exact same thing and people hate him for it. It's stupid. All too human, but stupid nonetheless like a slew of other things in life that we don't die for trying to diminish (like anger etc)
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ISFJ

it means i'd rather hear them in person. i much prefer a lecture or real life conversation over transcripts or words on a computer screen but i don't have the luxury to interact with everyone on here in person....so i read the words and appreciate when i'm given a fuller picture of the individual who's saying them.
    What about Stephen Hawking?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

What about Stephen Hawking?
    that was included in my response....i'm just saying that i prefer to know who it's coming from and obviously no i don't read others words as tho they have a disability as well when i can't. i am just saying it is a preference. it's really not that difficult to grasp is it?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Smile

But we reveal so much about ourselves in our style of writing.

To hide your character in your writing is only possible by a professional, and even there it is very difficult.

A unique style is as unique as our retina or finger prints.

But what is most interesting is that most here write in the same style - the conversational style.

And this is because they want to belong more than they want to be free.

MBTI
    ISFJ

that was included in my response....i'm just saying that i prefer to know who it's coming from and obviously no i don't read others words as tho they have a disability as well when i can't. i am just saying it is a preference. it's really not that difficult to grasp is it?
    I was implying the question of whether "that would make communicating with someone like Stephen Hawking or knowing his thoughts any less interesting?"

And preference isn't in question here. But if I post a couple of pictures of myself, what does that tell you exactly? I might be very smiley in person and not at all in the pictures. Looks deceive more than sentences.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I was implying the question of whether "that would make communicating with someone like Stephen Hawking or knowing his thoughts any less interesting?"
    if it were in person? due to his disability? of course not.
    -Jim Morrison

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But we reveal so much about ourselves in our style of writing.

To hide your character in your writing is only possible by a professional, and even there it is very difficult.
    Agreed. I remember an interview with British writer Ian McEwan in which he said: "You can´t write more than 250 words without saying anything about yourself." Speaking about how writers are the artists who expose themselves the most.

As for posting pictures, I´m the only one so far who voted "I haven't and probably will (I feel indifferent about doing so)"

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric

MBTI
    ISFJ

if it were in person? due to his disability? of course not.
    Well that's exactly my point. So why base ANYTHING at all in how a person looks?