User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you posted your picture?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have posted my picture

48 72.73%
  • I haven't posted my picture and wouldn't

8 12.12%
  • I haven't and probably will (I feel indifferent about doing so)

4 6.06%
  • I haven't and am undecided (sometimes I want to)

6 9.09%
First 89101112 Last

Thread: Un-Picture time

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    but you get a sense of who people are. in a way where they are coming from, you get to see their frowns, their laugh lines, their smiles, the warmth, the sadness, their eyes and their expressions and experiences is written on their face.
    Yeah, at fifty you get the face you deserve.

I haven't posted a picture on the picture thread.
    In one of those threads someone said that if you post your picture there prior to having 500 posts it is attention whoredom.
    Even though I'm sure not everyone feels that way, that comment stayed with me.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Interesting thread.

So here's the thing. Can a picture of a person on a forum change your perception of them?

I would have thought no. In most cases it would be no.

But recently I saw some pics of a member and I admit it changed things.
    This member kind of bugged me, not personally.. just a kind of roll my eyes type of response when I read their stuff. I made a pretty harsh judgment on this person. They got labeled as snobby.
    However seeing their pics changed that. seeing them in their environment, seeing their eyes, their smile, and the way the held themselves certainly had a new effect on me. After re reading some of their stuff.. I concluded that my judgment was wrong and that this person was not so snobby after all, but maybe rather proud and dignified.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Interesting thread.

So here's the thing. Can a picture of a person on a forum change your perception of them?

This member kind of bugged me, not personally.. just a kind of roll my eyes type of response when I read their stuff. I made a pretty harsh judgment on this person. They got labeled as snobby.
    However seeing their pics changed that. seeing them in their environment, seeing their eyes, their smile, and the way the held themselves certainly had a new effect on me. After re reading some of their stuff.. I concluded that my judgment was wrong and that this person was not so snobby after all, but maybe rather proud and dignified.
    i love that.

see...sometimes we project our own shit onto the written word and get it wrong.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

My picture is out there already. Although in hindsight it probably wouldve been cooler had I not posted a picture. So you picture me as a wolf instead.

That would've been much cooler!
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight
    Interesting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i love that.

see...sometimes we project our own shit onto the written word and get it wrong.
    That was the perfect example of why NOT to post pictures.

It's a matter of fucking principle! People are stupid and stereotype and label others and they should restrain themselves, and not be dependent on seeing our pics to make a different judgment. There isn't a whole lot that pisses me off but god this shit pisses me off!!!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

hahaha
    you fucking contrarian!!!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    That was the perfect example of why NOT to post pictures.

It's a matter of fucking principle! People are stupid and stereotype and label others and they should restrain themselves, and not be dependent on seeing our pics to make a different judgment. There isn't a whole lot that pisses me off but god this shit pisses me off!!!
    Can you even see the hypocrisy in this statement?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Can you even see the hypocrisy in this statement?
    Actually, in the sense of hipocrisy, he has a leg up on you. :p

In that written posts and opinions on a forum should be worth more salt than someones (posed) picture. Which means that if your opinion of someone changes because of seeing a picture, you're actually being the hipocrit. And Sytpg is actually trying not to be a hipocrit.

Either way, I don't care what your opinion is with or without seeing someones picture, but I still wanted to say this.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Actually, in the sense of hipocrisy, he has a leg up on you. :p

In that written posts and opinions on a forum should be worth more salt than someones (posed) picture. Which means that if your opinion of someone changes because of seeing a picture, you're actually being the hipocrit. And Sytpg is actually trying not to be a hipocrit.

Either way, I don't care what your opinion is with or without seeing someones picture, but I still wanted to say this.
    But it illustrates that written word is sometimes not enough to form an accurate opinion of something.
    I can explain the Grand Canyon to you all I want, and you might never get a clear picture of what I am talking about. If i simply show you a pic though..

But let's go back to me and my situation. Maybe I saw a delicacy or vulnerability looking at the person that they carefully guard in their words, but is much more apparent looking at them.

I don't see how this makes me hypocritical. I do however see someone who labels people as stupid for labeling others, as hypocrisy.
    Blatant hypocrisy.