User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Laptops?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Laptops?

Alright, im looking into getting a laptop. pretty open for suggestions but Ive somewhat narrowed down my selections to a Sony Vaio.
    Price being no issue, im looking for something that can do alot of multitasking with multimedia, im into gaming and doing alot of video editing and photoshop and whatnot.

my two main choices being..

VAIO CW Series PC | Sony | SonyStyle USA

VAIO F Series PC | Sony | SonyStyle USA

as im a noob to computer terms and whatnot.
    which is more fitting for my needs? I also noticed f series received lower ratings, disregard?
    any help is appreciated :]
    my etsy Morphochroma

I know you think I'm crazy,
    but most people they can't tell.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Toshiba Laptops have been the gold standard of the computing industry since they were released. I have owned Toshiba, Dell, Compaq, and Acer laptops in the past. The Toshibas have performed great and been very tough and reliable. I'd stay away from the Dell's. The current entry-level Acer's (<$400) are a great deal for a kid's laptop or a backup. I have always been wary of Sony products, as they are usually costly compared to the features they have. Have you checked out Toshiba's similarly equipped to the VAIO's you've looked at?

Check out J&R: Electronics, Digital Cameras, Computers, Appliances, Software, Video Games, DVDs, CDs . ...
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

hey, I have a sony VAIO (VGN-NW270F) that I bought this february or march. It got good reviews for multitasking, and I guess it's a decent faptop, but Sometimes the fans will spin a lot if I'm drawing in photoshop and running up the memory with long pen-strokes (as in how long i hold it down and drag on my tablet). Also, certain games I would think wouldnt make my comp run hot seem to make the fans spin up often.

I'm not sure if this is an actual issue at all, my last laptop overheated and died that way so I'm always paranoid the fans spinning indicates I'm potentially melting it very slowly.

MBTI
    XXFP

I'll just add in that the toshiba's i've had/have have been very nice machines, although on my oldest one the screen hinges broke and the fan got rattly/noisy. It went through about 4 or 5 years of service.

I got my current toshiba from an office clear out for $0 with no hard drive. It runs linux alright from CD but I have no real experience with it.

The Acer I'm using now has given me zero issues in the last 2 or 3 years.

Sorry, not sony specific...
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by mr.awesome View Post
    Alright, im looking into getting a laptop. pretty open for suggestions but Ive somewhat narrowed down my selections to a Sony Vaio.
    Price being no issue, im looking for something that can do alot of multitasking with multimedia, im into gaming and doing alot of video editing and photoshop and whatnot.

my two main choices being..

VAIO CW Series PC | Sony | SonyStyle USA

VAIO F Series PC | Sony | SonyStyle USA

as im a noob to computer terms and whatnot.
    which is more fitting for my needs? I also noticed f series received lower ratings, disregard?
    any help is appreciated :]
    Do you care any about portability?

If you want something powerful and light then I think you'll like the VAIO.. but I would also consider getting a MAC. I have a MAC for personal use a dell XPS for office and a VAIO for the lab. The battery life and portability of my MAC is really the best of those 3, but I had an alienware for the previous comps. You said you're into gaming - so is that the priority? Just asking because if you wanted a game machine with great processing power then I would suggest a custom job or something like the Alienware M17x or Asus also has a new gaming laptop that's pretty good - if the price isn't an issue...

If you're willing to give up some of the hardcore processing needed for gaming or in my case calculations etc then you could really do well with the MAC or a VAIO. For me personally, after lugging around some of the more powerful laptops in the past, I decided I wanted more of a compromise so I went with the MacBookpro and maxed it out... ran me about 5k but I really love it. The VAIO will be slightly cheaper but I think the performance of the MAC is far superior - at least for what I use my laptop for. It really depends on what you're priorities are. I'd definitely talk to someone before you buy the comp and make sure that your personal priorities are reflected in the hardware/software of whatever you buy.

Anyway, hopefully this was helpful. Good luck with your selection.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Dude, check out this Toshiba for $1,099. If price isn't an option then this is a contender:

Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q860 18.4" Notebook PC - Fusion Finish in Omega Black

•Intel Core i5-430M 2.26GHz Processor with Turbo Boost up to 2.53GHz
    •3MB L2 Cache
    •4GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM Max: 8GB
    •500GB (7200 RPM) SATA Hard Drive with HD Impact Sensor (3D sensor)
    •18.4" diagonal widescreen TruBrite TFT LCD display at 1680 x 945 native Resolution (HD+), 16:9
    •webcam and Microphone
    •NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M with 1GB GDDR5 Discrete graphics memory
    •Labelflash SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer Drive
    •Wi-Fi Wireless Networking 802.11b/g/n
    •10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
    •ExpressCard 54/34 Slot
    •Premium US keyboard, Touchpad with multi-touch control, Media Control Buttons
    •Dolby Home Theater
    •Built-in harman/kardon Stereo speakers
    •Memory Card Reader: SD, SDHC, MS, MS Pro, MMC
    •Ports: 3 x USB 2.0, eSATA/USB, IEEE 1394, Headphone/S/PDIF output, Microphone input, VGA, HDMI-CEC, RJ-45
    •Approximate Unit Dimensions: 17.4" (W) x 11.6" (D) x 1.63" (H)
    •Approximate Unit Weight: 9.7 Pounds

If you really want to go nuts then looks at this:

Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q880 18.4" Notebook PC - Fusion Finish in Omega Black

PRICE: $1,899

•Intel Core i7-720QM 1.6Hz Processor with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.8GHz
    •6MB L3 Cache
    •6GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM (Max: 8GB)
    •64GB SATA Solid state Drive (SSD)
    •500GB (7200 RPM) SATA Hard Drive with Impact Sensor (3D sensor)
    •18.4" diagonal widescreen TruBrite TFT LCD Display at 1920 x 1080 FHD
    •webcam and Microphone
    •NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M with 1GB GDDR5 Discrete graphics memory
    •Blu-Ray Disc ROM and Labelflash SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer Drive combo
    •802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
    •10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
    •Bluetooth v2.1 plus EDR
    •ExpressCard 54/34 Slot
    •Built-in harman/kardon Stereo speakers and Dolby Home Theater
    •Premium US LED Backlit keyboard, Touchpad Pointing device with multi-touch control and Enable/Disable button, Media Control Buttons
    •Memory Card Reader: SD, SDHC, MS, MS Pro, MMC
    •Ports: 4 x USB 2.0 (3 USB + 1 eSATA/USB combo), IEEE1394, Headphone/S/PDIF output, Microphone input, VGA, HDMI-CEC, RJ-45
    •Approximate Unit Dimensions: 17.4 (W) x 11.6 (D) x 1.63 (H) inches
    •Approximate Unit Weight: 9.7 pounds
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

*Looks at Halla74's post* HOLY CRAP! I've been outta the game too long. Last time I built a system DDR4 graphics cards were just hitting the high-end market.

Gimme a few to do a little poking around. I've had some bad experiences with Toshiba's, but that was years ago. Dell's are usually pretty good, and they own Alienware now. Aliens are great. I've always thought Sony's were a little overpriced for what you get, great machines though. Stay away from HP/Compaq, too much factory bloatware. Acer's are kinda ho-hum. Asus rocks, love their desktop motherboards and that lil' EEE PC.

Things you're going to want to look for:
    A fast dual-core processor with a large L2 cache. At least 2GHz with a 3MB cache.
    Probably 3-4 gigs of RAM at least.
    A 7200rpm hard drive. Probably find a good 320GB at this speed.
    No smaller than a 15" screen for gaming.
    Dedicated graphics card. At least 256MB. 512MB or higher preferable.
    Windows 7 Professional. Home Premium is...blegh.

EDIT:
    ummm....I know you said price is no object, but a sensible upper limit would help. I can get nuts when I'm configuring a system if I don't get put in check.
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_400 View Post
    *Looks at Halla74's post* HOLY CRAP! I've been outta the game too long. Last time I built a system DDR4 graphics cards were just hitting the high-end market.
    Yeah, those systems freaked me out too!

Gimme a few to do a little poking around. I've had some bad experiences with Toshiba's, but that was years ago. Dell's are usually pretty good, and they own Alienware now. Aliens are great.
    I have owned two Dell laptops (Inspiron 1700/E9400, and Inspiron 1420) and have had the following issues:

BOTH: FDISK needed within 6 months of purchase, on both systems the Dell "Media Direct" (a useless feature really) never re-installed correctly, and that pissed me off because they have a hardware button dedicated to it on the control panel.

Inspiron 1700/E9400: Firewire port fried out. Note, it was a 4-pin firewire jack. I used this system as a mobile DAW (digital audio workstation) for recording and DJ gigs. Once the MoBo was replaced by Dell it ran perfect, but it failed nonetheless...

Inspiron 1420: This is wifey's laptop. It was bought LOADED. It is PINK. Upon it getting fragged (Windows Update would not execute, and the Windows Vista Premium DVD could not use the "Repair" feature) I had to FDISK, format, and then buy a third party CD with the hard disk drivers on it so that the Vista CD/DVD could re-install. Even then it had issues, so I said screw it and bought a student license for Windows 7 and it has been perfect since.

For the money, Dell laptops are great, BUT if money is not an object, I would not look at them first. Gaming specs are similar to specs for digital audio/video. I had a 7200 RPM HD in my system and an upgraded video card and despite these upgrades the system still was not ready for field use. If the failure of the firewire port happened during a DJ gig it would have been a major setback, as I would have had to immediately setup my back-up kit, and that sucks to do in front of an audience...

I've always thought Sony's were a little overpriced for what you get, great machines though.
    I totally agree.

Stay away from HP/Compaq, too much factory bloatware.
    One word for these: SHIT!

Acer's are kinda ho-hum. Asus rocks, love their desktop motherboards and that lil' EEE PC.
    Their entry level $350 laptops are great, I bought one for each of my kids, and they are 5 and 8 years old, and now have laptops with Windows 7, 3 GB of Memory, wireless Internet, etc, they are loving it, and I spent very little to give them a leg up on being technically proficient. Other than these I would not touch Acer systems...

Things you're going to want to look for:
    A fast dual-core processor with a large L2 cache. At least 2GHz with a 3MB cache.
    Probably 3-4 gigs of RAM at least.
    A 7200rpm hard drive. Probably find a good 320GB at this speed.
    No smaller than a 15" screen for gaming.
    Dedicated graphics card. At least 256MB. 512MB or higher preferable.
    Windows 7 Professional. Home Premium is...blegh.
    ^This is a great list of features to look for, nicely summarized.

EDIT:
    ummm....I know you said price is no object, but a sensible upper limit would help. I can get nuts when I'm configuring a system if I don't get put in check.
    I feel sorry for the poor bastard that ever teels me to go buy a new laptop with their credit card. :horor: :yim_rolling_on_the_
    --------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I second halla, if i were to get a new Laptop, i would definitely get a Toshiba
    Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I have owned two Dell laptops (Inspiron 1700/E9400, and Inspiron 1420) and have had the following issues:

BOTH: FDISK needed within 6 months of purchase, on both systems the Dell "Media Direct" (a useless feature really) never re-installed correctly, and that pissed me off because they have a hardware button dedicated to it on the control panel.

Inspiron 1700/E9400: Firewire port fried out. Note, it was a 4-pin firewire jack. I used this system as a mobile DAW (digital audio workstation) for recording and DJ gigs. Once the MoBo was replaced by Dell it ran perfect, but it failed nonetheless...

Inspiron 1420: This is wifey's laptop. It was bought LOADED. It is PINK. Upon it getting fragged (Windows Update would not execute, and the Windows Vista Premium DVD could not use the "Repair" feature) I had to FDISK, format, and then buy a third party CD with the hard disk drivers on it so that the Vista CD/DVD could re-install. Even then it had issues, so I said screw it and bought a student license for Windows 7 and it has been perfect since.

For the money, Dell laptops are great, BUT if money is not an object, I would not look at them first. Gaming specs are similar to specs for digital audio/video. I had a 7200 RPM HD in my system and an upgraded video card and despite these upgrades the system still was not ready for field use. If the failure of the firewire port happened during a DJ gig it would have been a major setback, as I would have had to immediately setup my back-up kit, and that sucks to do in front of an audience...
    Most of the folks I know using Dell's are using them for office work. Fairly dependable but I do see some problems with they're dedicated graphics cards crapping out, usually in the Inspiron 1705 model.

Last time I owned a Toshiba, the cooling fan blew out within the 1st 3 months. Blew two hard drives. Had power faults on the dvd drive anytime I tried to burn a cd, had to manually ramp the burn speed down to about 1/4 of max. Granted, I was luggin' that computer around a warzone, so it may not be a fair assessment of 'normal operating conditions'.

The older Alienwares held up exceptionally well. I'd love to have a Panasonic toughbook, but they're way over-priced for the hardware specs. You really pay for the indestructibility.

Their entry level $350 laptops are great, I bought one for each of my kids, and they are 5 and 8 years old, and now have laptops with Windows 7, 3 GB of Memory, wireless Internet, etc, they are loving it, and I spent very little to give them a leg up on being technically proficient. Other than these I would not touch Acer systems...
    That's where I go for the Asus EEE PC. I love their stuff and they pretty much kicked off the netbook craze. Lot of friends using that 10.5" Acer model though.

I feel sorry for the poor bastard that ever teels me to go buy a new laptop with their credit card. :horor: :yim_rolling_on_the_
    Yeah, friend of mine once gave me that 'no price limit' thing and wouldn't budge on it. So I went on to either VooDooPC or Falcon Northwest's site and configured him an $8200 laptop. His response, ":eek: Ummm...try to keep it under $2k." Got the point across.
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]