User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I don't think he ever really stopped being an angsty, misanthropic teenager. I just find him boring, trivial, and lacking in any truly worthwhile insights.
    I don't know anything about the poet other than the poems he has written. I think his poems stand on their own and can be judged on their own merits.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nomorenames View Post
    I don't know anything about the poet other than the poems he has written. I think his poems stand on their own and can be judged on their own merits.
    That's what I was doing
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't think he ever really stopped being an angsty, misanthropic teenager. I just find him boring, trivial, and lacking in any truly worthwhile insights.
    That's what I was doing

Interesting question time! Can a piece of work be understood outside of the person who made it?

What of Art removed from it's context? What of work with no clear author/creator?

Is there even a context through which art has to be viewed to be understood?

/philosophy of art 101

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Sentence 1 was an assessment of personality, informed by knowledge of his work, not a direct comment on the work. Sentence 2 represents your pathetic attempt at nitpicking by means of equivocation. You can't possibly fail to realise I was referring to my experience of his work there. Kindly don't be so silly as to intentionally read out of context, it just makes you look clueless, when in fact I know you're actually being defensive because you like his work

And yes, of course a piece of work can be understood and appreciated without having to know anything whatsoever about its author. What do we know of Homer? Speculation and myth only.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Sentence 1 was an assessment of personality, informed by knowledge of his work, not a direct comment on the work. Sentence 2 represents your pathetic attempt at nitpicking by means of equivocation.
    Nitpick? Damn, and here I thought I was trollin'

You can't possibly fail to realise I was referring to my experience of his work there.
    I didn't

Kindly don't be so silly as to intentionally read out of context, it just makes you look clueless, when in fact I know you're actually being defensive because you like his work
    Aw. But passive aggressiveness is fun, huh?

Anyways, all you know is what I wrote which doesn't necessarily tell you more than I intended. Unless you wanna project

MBTI
    TRUE

It sounds like he stood at the edge of the abyss and peered down
    To stand at the edge and look into the abyss is fine. I just think he might have been a better poet if he had looked, then stepped back to put the experience in perspective. That someone enjoys his work means he wasn't wasting his time, but for me it is still typical of the morose, stream-of-consciousness poetry in vogue during those years. I always enjoyed spending time among the beatniks, except when poets would decide to share their words - Larkin's poems bring back painful memories of those moments.

You enjoy it, I cannot.
    “Naked to unknown forces, fortune evades mere understanding. The trial of effort.
    The dream of change. Such a place might Hell be to thought and action.”
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Accept View Post
    To stand at the edge and look into the abyss is fine. I just think he might have been a better poet if he had looked, then stepped back to put the experience in perspective. That someone enjoys his work means he wasn't wasting his time, but for me it is still typical of the morose, stream-of-consciousness poetry in vogue during those years. I always enjoyed spending time among the beatniks, except when poets would decide to share their words - Larkin's poems bring back painful memories of those moments.

You enjoy it, I cannot.
    Aw. This will just end with a "different strokes for different folks" and there's the potential to examine why something may appeal to some while not others. Eh. That's too much work for a Sunday.

sammy

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ^ another case of loving though overprotective parents who fail to prepare their children for the horrors of the real world?
    Hell yes. Naive as fuck when I finally got out into the world.

I'm breaking free slowly still. Chains are getting rusty and irreparable. Soon, the collar breaks at its fractures.

Grateful, but cautious.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I don't care for the poem all that much. Sounds too whiny. At least he had parents.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ^ another case of loving though overprotective parents who fail to prepare their children for the horrors of the real world?
    YouTube - Metallica - Dyers Eve