User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Savetoby.com

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Savetoby.com

Has anybody heard of this? I mean this was a long time ago that this came up, but recently I came across it again.

Originally, this site was about a guy threatning to kill (and eat) a rabbit he found on his porch if he didnt get money. (I thought this was crap.) Later people donated enough money to save toby, but in the end the cycle continued. After a long process it ended and toby was saved.

Do you think this is crazy?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by chippinchunk View Post
    Has anybody heard of this? I mean this was a long time ago that this came up, but recently I came across it again.

Originally, this site was about a guy threatning to kill (and eat) a rabbit he found on his porch if he didnt get money. (I thought this was crap.) Later people donated enough money to save toby, but in the end the cycle continued. After a long process it ended and toby was saved.

It's actually kind of diabolical/silly rather than crazy. People have long eaten rabbits. He just designed his website so that you felt bad for the rabbit because he kept doting on it while threatening to eat it. What's sad is that it actually worked... everyone went crazy trying to get the site shut down, had a PayPal account canceled, and made it news in addition to giving them the $50,000 because they were paranoid he would eat it. But the thing is, rabbits don't live that long anyway, so it's kind of a moot point. $50,000 for the life of one short-lived animal. Think about that for a minute, really. :rolli:

So was he crazy? No, he was intelligent but manipulative. The only thing he did wrong was emotionally manipulate people into caring about the rabbit. So if anything, he should be condemned for exploiting people's emotions rather than anything related to the rabbit. The rabbit is a decoy to distract you from the real issue, and in the end its life isn't important. It was the presentation of the situation and anthropomorphizing of the rabbit on the site that was depraved. Although I have to admit, it's not much worse than the mind games of other advertisers, but I think many of those are also on shaky moral ground.

Eating the rabbit on that date, on its own, would not have elicited any protests.

He's probably sitting back laughing right now, thinking about what suckers people are.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by chippinchunk View Post

Wow. What a bastard. But a smart one. I agree with Athenian about the manipulation vs. the eating the rabbit part. I wonder if he ever really intended on eating the rabbit on the first place? Did he live in a rural area? I've never found a rabbit or even a squirrel on my front porch before.

There was another site where an attractive young middle-class white woman posted her picture and asked for donations to get her out of credit card debt. I think she raised at least $5,000 this way and paid off all her cards. Personally, there's NO WAY I would have donated for something like this. It's called personal finance, lady. Visit SuzeOrzman.Com and have some dignity!

I think when the internet was still fairly new people could get away with stuff like this, but now the internet is clogged with all kinds of quirky personal websites and you need a much bigger gimmick to break through. Or just be a straight-up fund or charity to get money.

I dunno, maybe because there are so many homepages now everyone gets a little money from strangers if they want.

When I saw the title of the post, I thought you were listing a shopping site like 'save to buy' misspelled. That's what's been on my mind lately.

MBTI
    ENTP

I think it's pretty funny... I mean people aren't donating millions to save all the farmed rabbits from the abertoires around the world... so why give a shit about that one just because it's got a name??

Reminds me of bonsaikittens.com, I got the link forwarded to me in a chain letter saying "we" have to stop this disgraceful cruelty... loaded page... laughed my ass off... I wonder where the people who fall for these hoaxes are bred??

I thought the title of this thread was going to be talking about one of those awful emotional blackmail chain letters you get about a terminally ill child...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

You have got to be kidding me. I wouldn't even take such a thing seriously. Was the guy simply a con artist? Ah well, emotional contagion for the lose.
    Not really.

MBTI
    INFJ

Was my tone an upset one? Wow, when i said crazy it wasnt a "Grrr" -crazy it was more like a "haha, I can't believe it!" -crazy.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

definitley proof of both "a fool and his money are soon parted" and "there's a sucker born every minute" ! Good for him being so enterprising!

I personally have nothing against eating rabbits- they're delicious! (no- I'm not saying that to get a rise out of anyone- I grew up eating rabbit! )
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    definitley proof of both "a fool and his money are soon parted" and "there's a sucker born every minute" ! Good for him being so enterprising!

I personally have nothing against eating rabbits- they're delicious! (no- I'm not saying that to get a rise out of anyone- I grew up eating rabbit! )
    I never tried it. But now im curious.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

tastes kind of like chicken, with a slight gamey edge! delicious in stews, grilled, fried and with gravy and barbecued!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    OMNi

I don't mind rabbit. But there is that virus that is suppose to be prevalent in wild game. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head but its suppose to be nasty.