User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Thread: The Beer Thread

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I'm off beer until further notice, but the best I've ever had is probably Free State Brewing Company's. The Free State Brewing Company . They're two blocks away. I've heard they're going to start bottling.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I'm off beer until further notice, but the best I've ever had is probably Free State Brewing Company's. The Free State Brewing Company . They're two blocks away. I've heard they're going to start bottling.
    Ah! Always good to get a microbrewery referral (I travel randomly around the US every so often). The menu looks fun too...

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Ah! Always good to get a microbrewery referral (I travel randomly around the US every so often). The menu looks fun too...
    Smoked Salmon Bruschetta.

MBTI
    ENFP

Oh...

What exactly is a smoked porter? :p

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    Oh...

What exactly is a smoked porter? :p
    Smoked Porter is delicious
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    For taste, Sour Belgian Lambics, like a Kriekbier... maybe a Hoegarden.

For a longer cooler drink, Alexander Keith's IPA.

I also quite like a dash of lime cordial in a lager style beer.
    Hoegaarden? It's all right, but you have to go with Allagash White (an American beer) if you want to achieve witbier nirvana.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    . They're two blocks away.
    The freshness of the beer is important.

Having said that, I've enjoyed a variety of boutique or specialty bottled beer over the years. At least it seemed "special" to me, even though some of them may be fairly common in their own countries. Having tried Euro beer I couldn't understand why we had such mostly boring brands in the USA. Anheuser Busch just got bought by the Belgians, and I can only imagine that will be a positive influence on them, as their brand Budweiser epitomized to me the ho-hum nature of America's beer.

As I got older there started to be more special beers made in the USA. The first I remember was a San Francisco brewery whose name escapes me at the moment. Later on there were more. Here in Chicago we now have "Goose Island" and some others. Samuel Adams makes some good beers.

The foreign beers I drank prior to being able to get good beer in the USA were:
    "Old Peculiar" from England
    "McEwans"
    "Duvel"
    "Maredsous"
    Carlsberg "Elephant Malt Liquor"
    Steinlager or Fosters for a light beer
    various kinds of Stout

I grew up in Ohio drinking Rolling Rock, Robin Hood Ale, Schoenling's Litttle Kings, Blatz ( accurate name for the farts produced ) , and some others.

I prefer a Bock beer style, and I've noticed these are labeled ( when from Europe ) with the suffix "tor" in the title, so that you get "Salvator", "Optimator", etc. Sam Adams makes a "Triple Bock' sometimes.

Some of the beers that I mentioned above have what's known as "second fermentation within bottle" as one of their features.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    The freshness of the beer is important.

Having said that, I've enjoyed a variety of boutique or specialty bottled beer over the years. At least it seemed "special" to me, even though some of them may be fairly common in their own countries. Having tried Euro beer I couldn't understand why we had such mostly boring brands in the USA. Anheuser Busch just got bought by the Belgians, and I can only imagine that will be a positive influence on them, as their brand Budweiser epitomized to me the ho-hum nature of America's beer.

As I got older there started to be more special beers made in the USA. The first I remember was a San Francisco brewery whose name escapes me at the moment. Later on there were more. Here in Chicago we now have "Goose Island" and some others. Samuel Adams makes some good beers.

The foreign beers I drank prior to being able to get good beer in the USA were:
    "Old Peculiar" from England
    "McEwans"
    "Duvel"
    "Maredsous"
    Carlsberg "Elephant Malt Liquor"
    Steinlager or Fosters for a light beer
    various kinds of Stout

I grew up in Ohio drinking Rolling Rock, Robin Hood Ale, Schoenling's Litttle Kings, Blatz ( accurate name for the farts produced ) , and some others.

I prefer a Bock beer style, and I've noticed these are labeled ( when from Europe ) with the suffix "tor" in the title, so that you get "Salvator", "Optimator", etc. Sam Adams makes a "Triple Bock' sometimes.

Some of the beers that I mentioned above have what's known as "second fermentation within bottle" as one of their features.

I can't imagine being a regular beer drinker in America 30 or 40 years ago. The United States now makes more great beers than any other country in the world, with the possible exception of Belgium.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    The first I remember was a San Francisco brewery whose name escapes me at the moment.
    Something like "Anchor Brewery"?
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ISTx

I drank a bit of Pabst Blue Ribbon last night. $1.09 for a 24oz can.

Call me classy.