User Tag List

First 8161718192028 Last

Thread: The Beer Thread

Banned
    MBTI
    type

IPA's are too unbalanced for my taste. I see beer flavor as kind of a graphic equalizer, and the hops is the treble. With IPAs, it's flat right until around the 6k area, which is maxed. Not the best.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    IPA's are too unbalanced for my taste. I see beer flavor as kind of a graphic equalizer, and the hops is the treble. With IPAs, it's flat right until around the 6k area, which is maxed. Not the best.
    If balance is what you're into, then you're right. I, however, really enjoy good aromatic hops, and as long as there is enough malt there to make it beer rather than hop tea, I'm good.

Now if you wanted to try a super-hoppy style with more malt in balance, you would do well to try Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine. I love the hops in that, but it's got plenty of malt character too. There's just a lot of beer in that beer.

MBTI
    ENFP

Several people have mentioned Bigfoot Barley wine, so I'll have to give it a try. I've not had any barleywine...

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I like your illustration of the graphic equalizer, and you're right. I've always preferred beer on the bitter side. Before I got into craft IPAs, I would always look for Harp on tap. I've watched people sample an IPA for the first time and I can see the look - they want to spit. I'm sure these brews are not for everybody, but I'm happy they were crafted for people like me, who can't get enough hops. Of course, I may have been born with a hop-deficient gene, so I'll even go for stuff like Hop Devil, Hop Wallop - anything hoppy that doesn't have that rice beer thing going on like Hoptical Illusion, which tastes like Budweiser with extra hops. I love being maxed out at 6k!

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    If balance is what you're into, then you're right. I, however, really enjoy good aromatic hops, and as long as there is enough malt there to make it beer rather than hop tea, I'm good.

Now if you wanted to try a super-hoppy style with more malt in balance, you would do well to try Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine. I love the hops in that, but it's got plenty of malt character too. There's just a lot of beer in that beer.
    Sierra Nevada, as well as Full Sail, have that hop bite that I love in a barley wine. I had Anchor's Old Foghorn last night, although tasty, it's certainly the mildest / sweetest barley wine I've had.
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    ENFP

w00t it's almost FRIDAY! Going to the Ski Show tomorow evening, then after that we are going out for some beer!

Default I <3 Oddee.com

The question remains: is she really better than (Bacardi) beer?

Actually, I have a serious question. Does Bacardi actually make beer? Cause if they don't, this ad makes less sense.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENFP

They don't make any beer that I know of...:p

Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    They don't make any beer that I know of...:p
    That's odd because apparently they funded that ad.
    :confused:
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENFP

Well, I've never seen any at least. :p