User Tag List

First 7151617181927 Last

Thread: The Beer Thread

MBTI
    ENFP

I had Dog Fish Head once, though I don't remember which one. They serve it in a Mexican restraunt across the highway from my Dad! So next time I'm there, I'll will have to ask which one it is.

MBTI
    ENFP

Does anyone get their beer in Growlers? I am curious about how long the beer lasts...

Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    I opted for Long Hammer IPA, from Red Hook! It was quite tasty.
    I love all the beers from Red Hook. Their ESB is probably my favorite beer.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I am a big fan of the Dogfish Head IPAs (especially the 90 Minute).
    I am going to have to try some Dogfish Head brews when I am back in Philly for Christmas. I keep hearing great things.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP

Oh! I heard rumors we're travling to PA for Christmas as well, so it would be fun to try some local beers! My Dad's family lives in Erie...

Oh! I heard rumors we're travling to PA for Christmas as well, so it would be fun to try some local beers! My Dad's family lives in Erie...
    Make sure you try Yuengling, especially the Black & Tan. If you can find Flying Fish, that's also very good. My all time favorite Philly beer is Dock Street, but I don't think they make it anymore.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP

Well do! Thanks for the sugestions. I've never been to Philly, my grandparents aren't big on traveling, so we usually stay pretty close to home. :p

MBTI
    INFP

Does anyone get their beer in Growlers? I am curious about how long the beer lasts...
    The beer should remain fresh for up to twenty four hours if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Kai View Post
    Living on the east coast of NA, I have an outstanding availability of American craft beers. My favorites, by far, are the IPAs, and the hoppier, the better. If you're a hophead, you'll want to check these out. These beers are made to be poured. I use a beer glass and pour down the side until I get near the top. A bit of a head can be a good thing. If the beer is high alcohol, I use a red wine glass to allow some of the alcohol flavor to dissipate.

Stone IPA - Never a disappointment, hops galore, drinkable, a winner

Stone Ruination IPA - Hoppiness is a warm gun. This stuff will clean your teeth. It's bright - too bright for everyday, but a true pleasure treat.

Smuttynose IPA - Highly drinkable, slightly viscous, but not overly malty. Medium hops.

Dogfish Head IPA - 120, 90, 60 - The only truly drinkable DFH is the 60 minute, which can be poured into a beer glass. All three are malty. The 120 belongs in a brandy snifter, 90 red wine glass. Both the 120 and 90 minute are great apertifs.

Weyerbacher Simcoe - Perhaps my favorite, this is a well-crafted IPA with amazing character. The trademarked Simcoe hops are outstandingly delicious. Although it is drinkable, two are plenty.

These are some great beers to start with if you're interested in getting to know IPAs.

If you can find a tavern that sells cask-conditioned IPAs, you've found the crown jewels of hops. Casks are small and hand-pumped. They are very low carbonation. Inside each cask is sort of a teabag full of hops (always a different variety of hops from the original), dangling into the brew. This onsite dry-hopping process makes for an uncanny beer experience. The sharpness gives way to a field of flowers. My favorite pale ale experiences.
    Great suggestions Kai and welcome! Next time I'm out of state, I'll try to seek out the 'elusive' cask-conditioned IPAs.

Cheers!

I had a rather unique brew from Dogfish the other night called Red & White. Here's a description:

A big, belgian-style Wit brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with Pinot Noir juice. After fermentation a fraction of the batch is aged in Oregon Pinot Noir barrels, and another fraction is aged on oak staves. The beer is blended together before packaging.

This has been one of our most popular Limited Edition beers at both our Rehoboth Beach, DE brewpub and at festivals. It successfully marries the refreshing citrusy qualities of a Belgian-style white beer with the robust complexity of a bold red wine.

10% abv
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    ENFP

Red & White sounds yummy...

Okay, 24 - 72 hours is what the folks at BA said as well...which I wouldn't drink that much beer in that ammount of time. So I guess I'll pass on that option! :p

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Make sure you try Yuengling, especially the Black & Tan. If you can find Flying Fish, that's also very good. My all time favorite Philly beer is Dock Street, but I don't think they make it anymore.
    They do still make Dock Street! In fact, there is a Dock Street brewpub at 50th and Baltimore now.

Dock Street Beer - 701 S. 50th Street. West Philly, PA 19143
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Oberon

I have noticed that there is kind of a new style of beer out there now. It's properly an IPA, and I know, IPA's aren't new by any means... but this is the hyper-hopped pale ale like Dogfish Head's 90-Minute IPA, or Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale, or Victory's Hop Devil. This is a full-bodied beer with a presence of hops so strong it sings in your head! Bitter to the point of tasting metallic, with a finish that lasts fifteen minutes. This is a hop infusion so strong, it's the next best thing to actually chewing hop flowers.

And I'm addicted. Gimme!