User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

Thread: The Beer Thread

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    Oh! Bigfoot is a barleywine...I've never tried those. :p Wow, I just looked at Sierra Nevada's site...I really had no clue about the other beers they make. I've never seen their porter or stout in the store. In I am pretty sure the only beer I've had of theirs is the Pale Ale. :p

My 22nd Birthday is on the 21st...any sugestions of something special I should put up?
    Their Porter and Stout are pretty solid. Same with their ESB. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is my favourite beer in the 1$/per bottle range in Utah; Pabst in the .50cent/per can range (although I haven't had a Pabst in a while nor have a strong desire to have one).

First and foremost happy birthday in advance. Secondly, I would try to seek out The Dissident from Deschutes brewery. It's technically an American Style Sour Ale but it's style is similiar to a Flander's Oud Bruin (Brown Ale). If you haven't had any offerings from Stone Brewery, certainly give them a try. Their Arrogant Bastard Ale, Barley Wine, IPAs, Imperial Russian Stout are fantastic! I hope to go there with my girlfriend upon graduation in December. Although I've only had one beer from Brewery Ommegang, seek them out! Their Ommegang (abbey ale) absolutely blew me away. I typically prefer triples to dubbels but this one sold me on trying out more dubbels. Their Three philosophers (quadrupel) was very satisfying as well.

Or you could go crazy and do what I did for my last birthday: Edward Terrible hands from Unibroue. I suggest if you decide to go that route, practice it before trying it on the big night.
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    ENFP

I had the ESB from Deschutes, and I thought it wasn't very appealing. I didn't like the stout by Deschutes either. But I'd be willing to give bother another try. It was my first expousure to both beer styles. I thought the stout was boring, compared to other stouts I'd had. But I love Blackbutte Porter. I would like to try other offerings from Sierra Nevada, but I've not seen any of them in the store.

MBTI
    INFP

Default Anderson Valley Deep Enders Dark Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    I had the ESB from Deschutes, and I thought it wasn't very appealing. I didn't like the stout by Deschutes either. But I'd be willing to give bother another try. It was my first expousure to both beer styles. I thought the stout was boring, compared to other stouts I'd had. But I love Blackbutte Porter. I would like to try other offerings from Sierra Nevada, but I've not seen any of them in the store.
    Heh. Utah liquor stores carry pratically all of Sierra Nevada's line. Funny how that turns out.

Review:

22 ounce bomber; 5.50% abv

Pours a silky black into the pint glass with a moderate amount of head and a minuscule amount of carbonation. Smells like malty dark chocolate. Taste smoked malts with a dark chocolate finish. Leaves a small lacy foam around the glass. Highly drinkable porter, I could drink this all night with ease. I wish there was a bit more complexity in taste but alas. A decent offering from Anderson Valley. Recommended.

MBTI
    ENFP

I'll have to look around and see where I might be able to find the other brews Sierra Nevada offerrs. I would assume someone here has to have them! :p

Have y'all started getting into the winter warmer brews yet?

I'm trying to decide what I want to drink tonight...I'm leaning towards a bomber of an IPA.

MBTI
    INFP

Good luck! I mentioned this thread to a friend of mine and he suggested that you drive to Newport, Oregon into the heart of Rogue Ales.

So far, I've only had Full Sail's Wassail regarding winter warmers. The liquor stores haven't quite shifted with the seasons just yet, so I anxiously wait for the upcoming month to occur.

In regards to your bomber of IPA, bombs away! I had quite a bit to drink last night, so may just have a beer tonight. We'll see. I'm toying around with the idea of having my Duvuel, Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde or their Trois Pistoles. Decisions, decisions.

MBTI
    ENFP

I opted for Long Hammer IPA, from Red Hook! It was quite tasty.

Yes! There is a Roge brew pud not too far from me...I've always wanted to check them out. :grin: I actually thought about getting their ale this evening. That's the only Rogue beer I see in the store. But I opted for LH instead. But there's still Saturday and Sunday.

I am actually considering getting together a group of folks to go to the Oregon Coast Aquirium (in New Port), so a perfect excuse to drink some Rogue beers!

MBTI
    INFJ

Living on the east coast of NA, I have an outstanding availability of American craft beers. My favorites, by far, are the IPAs, and the hoppier, the better. If you're a hophead, you'll want to check these out. These beers are made to be poured. I use a beer glass and pour down the side until I get near the top. A bit of a head can be a good thing. If the beer is high alcohol, I use a red wine glass to allow some of the alcohol flavor to dissipate.

Stone IPA - Never a disappointment, hops galore, drinkable, a winner

Stone Ruination IPA - Hoppiness is a warm gun. This stuff will clean your teeth. It's bright - too bright for everyday, but a true pleasure treat.

Smuttynose IPA - Highly drinkable, slightly viscous, but not overly malty. Medium hops.

Dogfish Head IPA - 120, 90, 60 - The only truly drinkable DFH is the 60 minute, which can be poured into a beer glass. All three are malty. The 120 belongs in a brandy snifter, 90 red wine glass. Both the 120 and 90 minute are great apertifs.

Weyerbacher Simcoe - Perhaps my favorite, this is a well-crafted IPA with amazing character. The trademarked Simcoe hops are outstandingly delicious. Although it is drinkable, two are plenty.

These are some great beers to start with if you're interested in getting to know IPAs.

If you can find a tavern that sells cask-conditioned IPAs, you've found the crown jewels of hops. Casks are small and hand-pumped. They are very low carbonation. Inside each cask is sort of a teabag full of hops (always a different variety of hops from the original), dangling into the brew. This onsite dry-hopping process makes for an uncanny beer experience. The sharpness gives way to a field of flowers. My favorite pale ale experiences.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am a big fan of the Dogfish Head IPAs (especially the 90 Minute).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I am a big fan of the Dogfish Head IPAs (especially the 90 Minute).
    Whenever I drink the 90, it's always a surprise. The hops are shocking on first sip, but they mellow into the malt. This is an extremely complex ale - much more so than the 120, which I find to be a distinct combination of the malt base note of Burton Baton, with the extreme hops of the 90 minute. It's a bit sweet for me, and I don't care for the distinct split. It seems manufactured to me.

MBTI
    IsTP

One of my all-time favorite beer is by Rouge, it's the Hazelnut Brown Nectar. It's delightful and not as heavy as some other beers.

And even though it's out of season, Sam Adam's Oktoberfest beer is another one of my favorites.
    Last edited by Willfrey; 11-11-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Grammar.