User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

Thread: The Beer Thread

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    Oh my! I must get some then, considering that coffee and beer are my favorite beverages. So I love beer that has coffee flavors! <3 Do Russian Stouts typically have a high ABV? I think I read that somewhere, but I can't remember. There's a place here locally that makes some Russian Imperial Stout I've been meaning to try...
    Imperial Russian Stouts average between 8-12% abv. Dark Chocolate is somewhat common in an Imperial Russian Stout, although adding coffee is somewhat atypical. Be forewarned that once you start delving with some real Imperial Russian Stouts / Porters / Stouts, you may start to see the mediocrity of Guinness.

Also Samuel Smith makes a fine Imperial Russian Stout.
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    ENFP

I'm already a big fan of porters and stouts, just haven't tried Russian Imperial. :p So I've already experienced what you've forwarned me about. :p

MBTI
    ENFP

I'm bummed the convenient store didn't have any 22 ounce bottles of Sierra Nevada pale ale...ten more ounces would have been nice. :p

MBTI
    INFP

Default Westmalle Trappist Ale Tripel, et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    I'm bummed the convenient store didn't have any 22 ounce bottles of Sierra Nevada pale ale...ten more ounces would have been nice. :p
    Aye, I feel yer pain lad. I've been craving a Sierra Nevada BigFoot to pair with my whole foods Bleu Cheese for the past month, but alas none of the liquor stores carry them. They must be preparin' their '09 batch.

Westmalle Trappist Ale Tripel

9.5% ABV

Appearance - Golden yellow color with a fluffy, undying head. Lots of carbonation and plenty of lace around the glass.

Smell - Citrus/Floral/hoppy. This beer has a wonderful smell about it.

Taste - Mildly spicy with the alcoholic taste exactly on par with the floral taste. In truth, I didn't like the first few sips of this brew but as I've let it air for a few minutes, it's flavour has improved.

Mouthfeel - I'd say about a medium mouth feel. Again, quite a carbonated brew.

Drinkability - I'd love to have this brew in the summer after a nice climbing trek or around a warm fireplace around good company. Aside from letting it 'air' out, I could really have a few of these. It tasted as if it was a 6-7% beer. Very nice. Recommended.

Pauwel Kwak

8.00% abv

I had this last night at The Bayou and from what I remember, it was a pleasing Belgium though nothing to write home about. Solid beer but nothing special. Belgium Strong Pale Ale.

De Ranke XX Bitter

6.2%abv

Again, had this last night at The Bayou. "The hoppiest beer in Belgium." They were right in that sense - certianly the hoppiest Belgium I've had, but hardly the hoppiest beer ever. I really liked this one a lot. I guess if nanotechnology is the new 'hotness,' I guess Belgium IPAs are the new 'hotness' of the brewing world. America's demand for hoppier beers and Belgium hath answered with this brew. Highly Recommended.

Belgium IPA snipped from Beeradvocate:
    Inspired by the American India Pale Ale (IPA) and Double IPA, more and more Belgian brewers are brewing hoppy pale colored ales for the US market (like Chouffe & Urthel), and there's been an increase of Belgian IPAs being brewed by American brewers. Generally, Belgian IPAs are considered too hoppy by Belgian beer drinkers.

Various malts are used, but the beers of the style are finished with Belgian yeast strains (bottle-conditioned) and the hops employed tend to be American. You'll generally find a cleaner bitterness vs. American styles, and a pronounced dry edge (very Belgian), often akin to an IPA crossed with a Belgian Tripel. Alcohol by volume is on the high side. Many examples are quite cloudy, and feature tight lacing, excellent retention, and fantastic billowy heads that mesmerize (thanks, in part, to the hops).

Belgian IPA is still very much a style in development.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

..Well. This IS the beer thread, so I thought I'd brag about it here.

I went to a restaurant today and tried for the first time Pumpkin Ale. A seasonal, obviously, brew.. It really rocked. Not being a huge fan of beer, I really appreciated the harmony the usually-sweet sensation of pumpkin flavoring had with the usually bitter-fermented taste of beer.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Get lost, americans, pff

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Get lost, americans, pff

[IMG][/IMG]
    Pilsener ist schlecht. (Ich habe nicht ein gut Pils noch gehabt)

Was ist dein Lieblingsbier?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

.. Nm. I remember why I dislike beer now. It turns guys into douches..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    .. Nm. I remember why I dislike beer now. It turns guys into douches..
    Elucidate.

MBTI
    ENFP

Oh! Bigfoot is a barleywine...I've never tried those. :p Wow, I just looked at Sierra Nevada's site...I really had no clue about the other beers they make. I've never seen their porter or stout in the store. In I am pretty sure the only beer I've had of theirs is the Pale Ale. :p

My 22nd Birthday is on the 21st...any sugestions of something special I should put up?